This discussion is archived
1 2 3 Previous Next 38 Replies Latest reply: Dec 6, 2012 4:23 AM by EdStevens Go to original post RSS
  • 30. Re: Unable to access DBA views
    Max Seleznev Explorer
    Currently Being Moderated
    Well the data dictionary views along with their synonyms are created as part of the database creation by running ?/rdbms/admin/catalog.sql.

I wonder if that step was missed in your case. Do you have any idea how that database was created?

In general you can run that script repeatedly while connecting as sysdba. Unfortunately I don't know the details of your situation (is it a critical production database or just something you're playing with and not afraid to lose) and the level of comfort you have with Oracle software to just advise you to run that script.
  • 31. Re: Unable to access DBA views
    jgarry Guru
    $phinx19 wrote:
    Hi Girish,

I will need sometime to provide you the same. See, now i have no rman backup, no user managed backup and also no export backup of the same. Currently, my data dictionary is corrupted, till now i have done the following things:
    1.Executed catalog and cataproc.
    2.Tried taking the export backup.
    3.Tried takin online backup.

As an urgent solution my priority is to get the db up and running, Can you suggest me if there is any way to get the DB up and running.

BR
    Sphinx
    Do you mean be able to select from sys things without error, or is your database no longer started?

Can you select user data as users? If so, you can select * from each table? Spool your tables into files and you can load them later with sqlloader.

Can you get DDL for your tables and constraints?

If no to any of that, you might be needing one of the data unloader services.

Can you tell us exactly what was done wrong?
  • 32. Re: Unable to access DBA views
    Osama_Mustafa Oracle ACE
    $phinx19 wrote:
    Hi Girish,

No ora-600 but i am getting ora-0604 error and the sad part is that oracle is not allowing me take any backup.
    I am faling to undertsand why i am not able to take even export backup? In what way does the corruption of data dictionary affects the working of exp utilty.
    Thanks for the link.

BR
    Sphinx

Edited by: $phinx19 on 05-Dec-2012 01:43
    Could you please post what you see in alertlog . or post 50 lines of alert log
  • 33. Re: Unable to access DBA views
    $phinx19 Newbie
    Hi Max,

The DB was created using DBCA, and the DB is critical as the developers needs the data of this DB. I have run the scripts several times but i am still getting the same error.

BR
    Sphinx
  • 34. Re: Unable to access DBA views
    $phinx19 Newbie
    Hi Jgarry,

I am not able to select sys things.
    I cannot even select user data while connect to the same user.

Here is the thing what exactly went wrong:

1.We were suppose to refresh one of the schema of the DB and for that when we were trying to drop the schema using
    drop user user_name cascade;
    but the user was not getting dropped, we did check the current session of the same user but still the user was not getting dropped and then we searched on metalink for the same issue an it implied that there is a dependency of this user objects on some other schema. Hence, my colleague thought of dropping the objects first of the users that we need to drop. In haste, he downloaded a script from net to drop the objects of a schema and ran the same while he was still connected as sys users (forgot to change the user). Due to which most of the objects of users were dropped and this resulted in the corruption of the Data dictionary.
    Well it is something which is not acceptable but we are human first and then DBA's.

BR
    Sphinx
  • 35. Re: Unable to access DBA views
    sb92075 Guru
    I hope you have good backups since this DB is not salvageable.
  • 36. Re: Unable to access DBA views
    $phinx19 Newbie
    Hi Sb,

No Backup, that was like the last nail in the coffin. Anyways, we are creating a new DB for the same now.
    Data loss seems to be inevitable.

BR
    Sphinx
  • 37. Re: Unable to access DBA views
    Osama_Mustafa Oracle ACE
    $phinx19 wrote:
    Hi Sb,

No Backup, that was like the last nail in the coffin. Anyways, we are creating a new DB for the same now.
    Data loss seems to be inevitable.

BR
    Sphinx
    Well On New Database i Hope you will take below action for new plan :
    -Secure your database .
    -Avoid Connection as sysdba for unauthorized people
    -Schedule backup via RMAN

Regards
    Osama
  • 38. Re: Unable to access DBA views
    EdStevens Guru
    $phinx19 wrote:
    Hi Jgarry,

I am not able to select sys things.
    I cannot even select user data while connect to the same user.

Here is the thing what exactly went wrong:

1.We were suppose to refresh one of the schema of the DB and for that when we were trying to drop the schema using
    drop user user_name cascade;
    but the user was not getting dropped, we did check the current session of the same user but still the user was not getting dropped and then we searched on metalink for the same issue an it implied that there is a dependency of this user objects on some other schema. Hence, my colleague thought of dropping the objects first of the users that we need to drop. In haste, he downloaded a script from net to drop the objects of a schema and ran the same while he was still connected as sys users (forgot to change the user). Due to which most of the objects of users were dropped and this resulted in the corruption of the Data dictionary.
    Well it is something which is not acceptable but we are human first and then DBA's.

BR
    Sphinx
    I see two other systemic problems beyond not having a backup.

First, you say "In haste ..."
    This is a test database, right? There should be no "haste". I understand developers may be stuck, but look how much longer they are/were stuck because someone felt the need to "make haste".

The second is that it appears they didn't actually vet the script before running it. It's far, far too common that someone googles a problem, they get a hit on some stranger's blog, see some code that purports to solve their problem (or at least a problem that seems vaguely smilar), and BANG! blindly run the code against their precious database.

Yep, we're all human. We've all made some stupid mistakes. Hopefully we learn from them. And to that end I wanted to point out that this case had more mistakes to learn from than just the lack of a backup.
1 2 3 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points