8 Replies Latest reply: Dec 6, 2012 6:39 AM by EdStevens RSS

Choosing a career path for a PL/SQL developer

Hello all,
      I have been working as a PL/SQL developer for 2 yrs now. I have enjoyed and gained enough knowledge on oracle sql and pl/sql. Now I am trying to choose an advanced career path in oracle. Can any body provide any ideas please? I am confused.

FYI:
      I really enjoy programming.
      I also have experience in ETL.

Thanks a ton
      --Santosh

Edited by: 828888 on Dec 5, 2012 8:02 PM
        • 1. Re: Choosing a career path for a PL/SQL developer
          Aman....
          828888 wrote:
          Hello all,
          I have been working as a PL/SQL developer for 2 yrs now. I have enjoyed and gained enough knowledge on oracle sql and pl/sql. Now I am trying to choose an advanced career path in oracle. Can any body provide any ideas please? I am confused.

FYI:

Thanks a ton
          --Santosh
          Hmm become a team lead if you think you have done it enough in the pl/sql programming career already as a developer?

On a serious note, not sure what you are asking us to reply. It would completely depend on your location , company and the projects that you are working with. May be I shall sound rude but I won't consider myself to go from basic level to advanced in just a two year of time span. I shall wait for about 4-5 years before I shall start thinking about advanced anything. To answer your question, you may want to learn a little about database and use that knowledge to write better code and also to troubleshoot and tune your code if possible. You can learn about datawarehouse concepts and get into the BI world. There can be too many options but a lot of them would be requiring you to hand pick them rather than someone suggesting them to you.

Just my 2 cents.

Aman....
          • 2. Re: Choosing a career path for a PL/SQL developer
            Billy~Verreynne
            828888 wrote:

I have been working as a PL/SQL developer for 2 yrs now. I have enjoyed and gained enough knowledge on oracle sql and pl/sql.
            I have been using Oracle SQL and PL/SQL for almost 15 years.. and I still find many holes in my knowledge about SQL, PL/SQL and Oracle.

There is no such thing as "+enough knowledge+".
            Now I am trying to choose an advanced career path in oracle. Can any body provide any ideas please? I am confused.
            FYI:
            Stay a programmer. Why change what you enjoy?

There are a many different of levels of programming, and very different types. And many many programming languages. If you like serious programming challenges, then learn C and get involved in one of the many Open Source projects for Linux. You just may find yourself employed as an Open Source programmer for a major corporation (like Oracle) in a few years time, if you're good.

If you want to do something exciting, download the Android SDK and start experimenting with writing mobile applications.

If you want to do something very different, look at expert system languages like ProLog and Lisp.

Download and install the latest Apex version and play with building Apex apps, learning Javascript and adding JQuery UI widgets and functionality to create rich web interfaces.

Expand your programming world. Broaden your horizon with new programming languages.

Programming goes far beyond just PL/SQL. And the more languages you know, and the bigger you make your programming world, the better programmer you will become. Including in PL/SQL and as a PL/SQL developer - as programming concepts and fundamentals are universal.
            • 3. Re: Choosing a career path for a PL/SQL developer
              Girish Sharma
              Hmmm, a good note on [url http://www.singhrahul.com/2012/11/good-programming-bad-programming.html]Good Programming, Bad Programming.

Regards
              Girish Sharma
              • 4. Re: Choosing a career path for a PL/SQL developer
                Chanchal Wankhade
                Hi,

I think nobody can say i have enough knowledge now. by continueing the same (as proggrammer) we can do lots of thing. So be programmer for some years and do lots of work then we can think about leading team go forward step by step.

We are in same boat buddy lets take some time and enjoy programming. time will tell us everything...
                • 5. Re: Choosing a career path for a PL/SQL developer
                  Osama_Mustafa
                  828888 wrote:
                  Hello all,

FYI:

Thanks a ton
                  --Santosh

Enough I don't think so , Everyday i learn something new as oracle DBA , Career path you could be Team lead , Analysis , but you must Know what you want ? Check Billy Answer 15 Years Of coding and he still finds hols even he is one of the best guys here so you are the only person who decide do i have knowledge to become team lead or what you want to be
                  • 6. Re: Choosing a career path for a PL/SQL developer
                    Billy~Verreynne
                    Girish Sharma wrote:
                    Hmmm, a good note on [url http://www.singhrahul.com/2012/11/good-programming-bad-programming.html]Good Programming, Bad Programming.
                    Good points in that note.

A good read is also The Tao (Way) of Programming.
                    • 7. Re: Choosing a career path for a PL/SQL developer
                      Hoek
                      In addition to Billy's link, more Oracle dedicated ( I'm sure he's already into 'the next level' ;) ):

"He who follows the Tao
                      Is at one with the Tao.
                      He who has many roles
                      Experiences many privileges.
                      He who loses the way
                      Sees "Snapshot Too Old.""

http://www.moofgroup.com/moof/tao/tao_of_oracle.pdf

It's a way of life! ;)
                      • 8. Re: Choosing a career path for a PL/SQL developer
                        EdStevens
                        828888 wrote:
                        Hello all,

FYI:

Thanks a ton
                        --Santosh

"I have . . . gained enough knowledge on oracle sql and pl/sq"

Please see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect