4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 6, 2012 8:03 PM by 917588 RSS

When we need to restructure essbase database?

When we need to restructure essbase database?
      What's the 'restructure' use for?
      Which other operations can instead of its function if I wish? tks a lot.
        • 1. Re: When we need to restructure essbase database?
          JohnGoodwin
          When is your interview or exam?

Cheers

John
          http://john-goodwin.blogspot.com/
          • 2. Re: When we need to restructure essbase database?
            Kosurus-Oracle
            Hi,

As your business changes, you change the Essbase database outline to capture new product lines, provide information on new scenarios, reflect new time periods, and so on. Some changes to a database outline affect the data storage arrangement, forcing Essbase to restructure the database. Because changes that require restructuring the database are time-consuming (unless you discard the data before restructuring), consider deciding on such changes based on how they affect
            performance. This section provides the information necessary to understand how restructuring affects performance and describes tasks you can perform related to database restructuring:

For information about clearing data and thus avoiding some restructuring, see CLEARDATA and CLEARBLOCK in the Oracle Essbase Technical Reference or Clearing Data in the Oracle Essbase Administration Services Online Help.

Also, refer the Essbase Administration Guide for more information on the Restructure concept.

Hope it helps...

KosuruS
            • 3. Re: When we need to restructure essbase database?
              Ha~ Interesting question. I don't have any interview or exam recently.
              I know essbase will restructrue cube automatically when I update outline. the .ind(index) and .pag(page) files will be re-organizated,
              just gonna to know why system need to restructrue? (what's the deep function/purpose/steps?)
              I did a try yesterday, when I ran a 'clear block empty', the block's number changed, but the two files .ind/.pag have no changed. they are changed when I did restructrue by manual. So I guess the 'restructrue' did the job:release the space of block for essbase.
              • 4. Re: When we need to restructure essbase database?
                If its function what I said, I think we need to trigger 'restructure' as schedule task. that's reduce the size of essbase database , the point is to improve system's performance. I'm considering doing it but don't know if it works :) Now I guess it works. correct me? tks.