This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Dec 6, 2012 5:00 AM by Stlouis1 RSS

permissions

978214 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I'm trying to copy and also move files from folder to folder in the file browser. I continue to receive the I don't have permission to do that message. I can do it in terminal when I use the sudo -s command, but I want to do it in the regular file browser user interface so I can just drag and drop. Also, the user manager says the role root isn't available to me, so why do I still not have permission? This is my personal computer and I never want to see a permission problem again. How do I fix this? Thanks J
  • 1. Re: permissions
    bobthesungeek76036 Pro
    My advice to you is to learn to obey the permissions. You could log on your computer as root all day but that is always a bad idea. Permissions are put in-place for a purpose. Learn to use the proper command-line methods to manipulate your data.
  • 2. Re: permissions
    Stlouis1 Newbie
    if those are your personal files in those folders, you may want to look up the chown command

you'll want to run something like this

sudo chown -r yourusername /youfolderpath

as long as you own your files, you'll have access to move them wherever you want

don't start running that on system files though, you'll probably break the system. sudo is there for a reason, I'd recommend you read up on it if your not familiar

Edited by: 975146 on Dec 6, 2012 5:00 AM

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points