This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Dec 6, 2012 5:50 AM by matthew_morris RSS

Which one is better 10g and 11g

978297 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Dir,
I want to certified in 11g OCA and OCP.
so which exam would be better for me please suggest.
i read your article about difference between 1z0-047 and 1z0-051,most propably i have cleared in my mind but still i want
a suggestion from your side.
which one is better -certified in 10g OCA and OCP and certified in 11g OCA and OCP
i am a fresher and i studied 10g .now plz suggest me as soon as possible.
  • 1. Re: Which one is better 10g and 11g
    bigdelboy Pro
    975294 wrote:
    Dir,
    I want to certified in 11g OCA and OCP.
    so which exam would be better for me please suggest.
    i read your article about difference between 1z0-047 and 1z0-051,most propably i have cleared in my mind but still i want
    a suggestion from your side.
    which one is better -certified in 10g OCA and OCP and certified in 11g OCA and OCP
    i am a fresher and i studied 10g .now plz suggest me as soon as possible.
    ... I guess you are really attempting a comment from Dir Matthew,

However: '11g DBA OCP' is now probably more valuable than '10g DBA OCP'

... The big difference may is that for XXg DBA OCP you will need to present verified authorized training.

If you have, (or can get far more easily/cheaply), that for 10g DBA OCP rather than 11g DBA OCP then 10g DBA OCP.

Some would prefer to have both.

We are in a world where Oracle 9i is looking very old, 10g getting old and 11gR1 old and 11gR2 up to date.

Soon 12c will be with us and new and soon after that 10g will start to look like old age is upon it.

Checkout http://certification.oracle.com to ensure you understand the requirements including the training requirements.
  • 2. Re: Which one is better 10g and 11g
    matthew_morris Expert
    All of the points bigdelboy makes are valid. I sometimes recommend that people get the older certification (10G) and then upgrade. Normally, though my reasoning for this is to help show their history with Oracle. For example, I have all of the Oracle DBA certifications from 7 to 11G, which (at least to my thinking) helps to show both that I've been working with Oracle for some time and that I am keeping up with the changes over time.

Since you are a fresher, showing a 'history' with Oracle isn't really correct. Having a certification for a database release that was superseded years before you started working as a DBA wouldn't mean the same thing. The only reason for you to become 10G certified would be if there was a specific reason for it. As bigdelboy indicated, you might find it easier (or cheaper) to locate the required 10G training for the OCP. Alternately, if employers in your area are often looking for DBAs for 10G rather than 11G, it might be worthwhile to go for 10G. Barring a compelling reason to pursue 10G, going for 11G is the better option.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points