This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 6, 2012 1:16 PM by DrClap RSS

Will not associate

978405 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I do not know if I am at the right area or not. Here my problem. I am working with windows 7 and when I try to launch java from IE it will not complete the operation. I can not find what launches java. I have removed java and reinstalled. I have tried different browsers. IE, Chrome, Safari. Have any ideas Thank You William
  • 1. Re: Will not associate
    gimbal2 Guru
    No, this is not the place to ask for problems with Windows installations. This is for Java programming, software development.

Regardless, the information you have does not allow anyone to help you even if you would go to the proper forum for it. What you're basically saying is "something doesn't work". Try telling "something hurts somewhere" to your Doctor!
  • 2. Re: Will not associate
    baftos Expert
    My guess: you installed 64 bit java and you are running 32 bit browsers.

Edited by: baftos on Dec 6, 2012 9:46 AM
  • 3. Re: Will not associate
    rp0428 Guru
    Welcome to the forum!
    >
    I am working with windows 7 and when I try to launch java from IE it will not complete the operation. I can not find what launches java. I have removed java and reinstalled. I have tried different browsers. IE, Chrome, Safari.
    >
    Java is an executeable. You don't launch it from a browser. You run it from the command-line.

Open a command-window and type: java
  • 4. Re: Will not associate
    978405 Newbie
    Maybe I did not give the correct information. I am using IE 64 and Java 64. IE is not associating with Java. When IE downloads from the internet and tries to open, it wants me to pick the program to open with. I tried to go into associations but I could not add Java Web start. On the internet it showed the link as C:\Program Files\Java\jre\bin\javaw.exe, but there is no .exe on my computer. There is only C:\Program Files\Java\jre\bin\javaw and that does not add the association. Thank you all for help William
  • 5. Re: Will not associate
    DrClap Expert
    Well, of course you only see "javaw" and not "javaw.exe". The Windows explorer (not Internet Explorer, but Windows Explorer, the thing you use to look at files on your disk) by default hides the extensions from you. Presumably you haven't changed that (I always change it, I hate having extensions hidden).

And what is it that you're downloading from the Internet which you expect to have run automatically by the JRE? It may be that the extension you're thinking of isn't mapped by IE to anything by default, but you can certainly change that if you like. Although I can't imagine anything except maybe a single Java class for which that would make sense.

Although you mentioned Web Start: My copy of IE does include a mapping for the jnlp extension. Yours should too, unless it's really really old.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points