2 Replies Latest reply: Dec 7, 2012 5:45 AM by 965856 RSS

ADF Mobile: Android performance is very slow - when will this be fixed?

Deploying any ADF Mobile application on an Android device gives very poor performance when loading the application, switching views, scrolling and general UI usage. I tested with a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 device with a production build.

Could you tell us when we can expect a optimised release of ADF Mobile for Android?
        • 1. Re: ADF Mobile: Android performance is very slow - when will this be fixed?
          Joe Huang
          Hi

First you would need to deploy the application in "Release Mode". This requires you to create a Java Keystore and a certificate using the Java keytool, and then you would use it to compile the app. If you have done that, then can you please help explain what these pages are doing, and observed performance?

Unfortunately Galaxy Tab 2 is a bit old - if you have done everything to optimize the app, this could be due to older Android OS. Android OS (especially version 2.x) does not support HTML5/JS well, and performance is much worse than HTML5/JS running on Android 4.x devices. This is more than just HW differences - this is primarily due to the web engine used by the webview.

This is also somewhat a general issue with Android - Chrome is a much faster browser on Android, but unfortunately the webview (which ADF Mobile leverages) is not yet based on Chrome. If and when they switch to Chrome, the JavaScript/HTML5 support would start to rival that of the iOS.

Thanks,

Joe Huang
          • 2. Re: ADF Mobile: Android performance is very slow - when will this be fixed?
            I am testing with the CompGallery Demo ADF mobile Application.

I have now tested on a Google Nexus 10 in release mode, and the performance does look a lot better, however, not quite as fast as it runs on iOS. In particular viewing things like the Carousel and most of the visualizations take 2 or 3 seconds to appear and then another 2 or 3 seconds when the back button is pressed. So I guess until the webview moves cover to use chrome we won't see much of an improvement in performance.