This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 26, 2013 10:05 AM by Seedyman RSS

Add Connection not working within Data Dictionary Import wizard

ennisb Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

Just downloaded Data Modeler. Running version 3.1.4.710 on a Mac with 1.6 jdk.
When I enter the Import Data Dictionary screen I push the Add button to define a new connection. However, nothing happens. No window pops up
and so am unable to define a new connection. If this is broken is there a way to define a connection outside of the GUI so that I can try and import
the DDL for the database I am trying to connect to? I believe the connection information is likely stored somewhere, but I don't know where or the format
that is required.

Thanks
Bill
  • 1. Re: Add Connection not working within Data Dictionary Import wizard
    Jim Smith Expert
    There is a specific forum for the SQL Developer Data Modeler where you may get more help.

Having said that, this sounds like a Java issue. With SQL Developer, not all Look and Feel settings seem to work on the mac.
  • 2. Re: Add Connection not working within Data Dictionary Import wizard
    Gary Graham Expert
    Hi Bill,

Not sure about the Mac, but on Windows 7 that would be the connections.xml file in:
    C:\Users\<myuserid>\AppData\Roaming\Oracle SQL Developer Data Modeler\system3.1.4.710\o.jdeveloper.db.connection.11.1.1.4.37.59.48

Do you have write access to the equivalent directories on your system? Administrators on corporate systems have been known to lock them down.

Please be aware, for future reference, that a dedicated forum exists for Data Modeler:
    SQL Developer Data Modeler

Regards,
    Gary
  • 3. Re: Add Connection not working within Data Dictionary Import wizard
    ennisb Newbie
    I figured out the problem. I started the app from the command line so that I could see exceptions. Turns out that the jTDS jar I had installed was the issue.
    I installed a different version of jTDS and then was able to configure the connection. Bottom line jTDS 1.3 would not work, nut jTDS1.2 did. I would
    be nice if the application would trap the error and display in a window instead of just not bringing up the Connections dialog.
  • 4. Re: Add Connection not working within Data Dictionary Import wizard
    Seedyman Newbie
    ennisb wrote:
    I figured out the problem. I started the app from the command line so that I could see exceptions. Turns out that the jTDS jar I had installed was the issue.
    I installed a different version of jTDS and then was able to configure the connection. Bottom line jTDS 1.3 would not work, nut jTDS1.2 did. I would
    be nice if the application would trap the error and display in a window instead of just not bringing up the Connections dialog.
    No lie, I had to roll back to another version of sqldeveloper until I had time to track down what their issue was. I thought maybe one of my connections was an issue, that turned out to be a dead end.
    Some way of troubleshooting the issue ourselves would certainly be nice for things like that.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points