This discussion is archived
11 Replies Latest reply: Dec 10, 2012 8:43 AM by Nicolas.Gasparotto RSS

Oracle Upgrade Question

mmaller0319 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Current Version :PT 8.48.19
App :8.9
Database :Oracle 10.2.0.4.0

We plan to start and App upgrade to 9.1 and Tools 8.52.12.We also plan to upgrade DB to 11.2.0.2.0

My question is at stage we do the DB upgrade?

If i want to do at the beginning.Can i take a COP on Tools 8.48.19 on 10g and then begin with upgrading it to 11.2.0.2.0?

The resullt is we are on 11.2.0.2.0 on Tools 8.48.19 and then we will take it forward for App Upgrade and Tools Upgrade?

Is this a fine approach?

Also Kindly me know if tools 8.48.19 is supported on 11.2.0.2.0?
  • 1. Re: Oracle Upgrade Question
    HakanBiroglu Oracle ACE
    Do not upgrade your database straight away.
    The first part of the upgrade should be done using the current tools version. All task before “Updating PeopleTools System Tables” should be done using PT8.48 in your case.
    After these steps you can upgrade your database to 11.2.0.2 and migrate to your new platform (PT8.52.12) and complete the PeopleSoft upgrade.

The certification matrix does not show certified database versions below 8.49.

According to following doc the highest db release is 11.1.0.7.0, but this doc is updated last in sep ,2010.
    PeopleSoft Enterprise PeopleTools PT 8.48 Certifications [ID 749052.1]

Hakan
  • 2. Re: Oracle Upgrade Question
    mmaller0319 Newbie
    Do you mean all Tasks before "Updating PeopleTools System Tables" be executed on 10g as they pertain to current Tools Version.

At this point we upgrade to 11.2.0.2.0

and then

start with Updating PeopleTools System Tables?

Am i right to say the above?
  • 3. Re: Oracle Upgrade Question
    Nicolas.Gasparotto Oracle ACE
    To make it more separate and independant from each other, I would, if possible (check your OS) do :
    1. Oracle upgrade to 10.2.0.5
    2. Peopletools upgrade
    3. Oracle upgrade to 11.2.0.3

That way, you can concentrate on each upgrade and could make the all upgrade in multiple time instead of all at once which is alsways scared.

Nicolas.
  • 4. Re: Oracle Upgrade Question
    HakanBiroglu Oracle ACE
    The first step of the upgrade need to be preformed with the current PeopleTools set, described in the ToolsUpgrade manual.
    It is easier to run these steps prior to upgrading your database to 11.2.0.2.
    Create a copy of production on your current platform, run the steps as described below and after that upgrade your database to 11.2.0.2 and after this migrate your database to your new platform (PT8.52) and complete the rest of the steps of the upgrade script.

Preparing Your Database for Upgrade........................................................... ..........5
    Understanding Database Preparation....................................................................... ..........5
    Updating Statistics.............................................................................................. ..........5
    Running Initial Audit Reports.................................................................................. ..........6
    Understanding Running Initial Audit Reports.....................................................................6
    Running the Initial DDDAUDIT Report.............................................................................6
    Running the Initial SYSAUDIT Report.............................................................................6
    Running the Initial Alter Audit.......................................................................................7
    Reviewing the Initial Audits................................................................................. . . . . . . .11
    Reviewing Table Row Counts................................................................................. . . . . . . . .12
    Verifying the Upgrade User................................................................................... . . . . . . . .13
    Preparing Your Database ..................................................................................... . . . . . . . .13
    Understanding Database Preparation.................................................................... . . . . . . .14
    Verifying Database Integrity................................................................................ . . . . . . .14
    Purging Message Queues.................................................................................. . . . . . . .14
    Dropping PeopleTools Tables.............................................................................. . . . . . . .15
    Cleaning Up PeopleTools Data............................................................................ . . . . . . .15
    Shrinking Images............................................................................................ . . . . . . .16
    Deleting Pagelet Wizard Data.............................................................................. . . . . . . .17
  • 5. Re: Oracle Upgrade Question
    That can be a way, but I'm not a fan of big bang. Since the Peopletools upgrade can be tricky, depending of the customizations, I would recommend to avoid to add more complexity in the process, like upgrade Oracle in the middle. If something is going wrong somewhere, it's always difficult to say what is causing it, where it is coming from. You also may have performance issues, due to PTools, Oracle upgrade...

I would try as much as possible to separate upgrades.

First upgrade to the lastest 10g supported within PT8.48, that is also the oldest one supported by PT8.52. Oracle 10.2.0.5 is nothing compared to 10.2.0.4 but a patchset. It should be relatively easy to apply and not a big thing. It should not hurt.
    On a second step, follow the entire stream of Peopletools upgrade to 8.52. -- a lot of test should take place
    And lastly, upgrade the database to 11g (I would go for 11.2.0.3 instead of 11.2.0.2). -- a lot of test should take place, like performance or known bugs...

Nicolas.

Edited by: N Gasparotto on Dec 8, 2012 2:33 PM
  • 6. Re: Oracle Upgrade Question
    HakanBiroglu Oracle ACE
    your solution sounds more logical :)
  • 7. Re: Oracle Upgrade Question
    mmaller0319 Newbie
    Thank you both of you.Appreciate both of your's responses.For this one i understood both your solutions .Let me see which one can suit me.Thanks again.
  • 8. Re: Oracle Upgrade Question
    One more reason why I would separate the upgrade as much as possible, that's the wordsize support change between your PT8.48 and PT8.52.
    You did not say about your current plateform/OS, but bear in mind that PT8.52 is 64bit only. That can raise an entire architecture change in your infrastructure.

Nicolas.
  • 9. Re: Oracle Upgrade Question
    mmaller0319 Newbie
    Current Platform is IBM AIX 5.3 for App Batch Web and Database 10g
    Windows 2003 R2 for Windows App Batch

We will move to

IBM AIX 6.1 App Batch Web and Database 11g
    Windows 2008 R2 for Windows App Batch
  • 10. Re: Oracle Upgrade Question
    mmaller0319 Newbie
    So my steps should be something like this

=> Upgrade db to 10.2.0.5 on AIX 6.1(Today Its on AIX 5.3 10.2.0.4.0 today)--DBMS Server for Tools 8.48 is supported on AIX 6.1.[We are still Tools 8.48 here]
    =>Upgrade Tools to 8.52 ,while DB is still on 10.2.0.5.0.
    =>Then upgrade Database to 11.2.0.3.0
    => Then Upgrade application to 9.1 FP2.

Please see if the above looks correct.Please suggests changes accordingly.
  • 11. Re: Oracle Upgrade Question
    It looks fine to me.

Nicolas.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points