5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 10, 2012 6:53 AM by Richard Harrison . RSS

Gathering stats

user9077483
      Hi Experts,

I have used the following statement to gather the stats of a table..

EXEC dbms_stats.gather_table_stats('APP','SALE_AMT',ESTIMATE_PERCENT=>100,CASCADE=>True);

To gather the stats it is taking one hour and the table SALE_AMT is having 237213998 records.

Please help me is there any way to get the stats quickly.

Thanks in advance.
        • 1. Re: Gathering stats
          Per my understanding there is no other option...
          • 2. Re: Gathering stats
            JustinCave
            You're asking for a 100% sample on a table with 237 million rows and gathering statistics for all the dependent objects. An hour seems pretty reasonable for that.

- How often are you gathering statistics? It seems unlikely that a table this large changes enough to justify gathering statistics all that frequently.
            - Is the table partitioned? Could it be? Assuming this is part of a load process, perhaps you really only need to gather statistics on the most recently loaded partition
            - Do you really need a 100% sample? Could you use a smaller sample size (or use the automatic sample size)? Or did you encounter problems using something less than a 100% sample?

Justin
            • 3. Re: Gathering stats
              Think_dba
              user9077483 wrote:
              Hi Experts,

I have used the following statement to gather the stats of a table..

EXEC dbms_stats.gather_table_stats('APP','SALE_AMT',ESTIMATE_PERCENT=>100,CASCADE=>True);

To gather the stats it is taking one hour and the table SALE_AMT is having 237213998 records.

Please help me is there any way to get the stats quickly.

Thanks in advance.
              You will surely need to decrease the sample parameter.
              • 4. Re: Gathering stats
                moreajays
                Hi,

Run this it will use auto sampling & will reduce time without impacting performance

EXEC dbms_stats.gather_table_stats('APP','SALE_AMT',CASCADE=>True,no_invalidate => false);

Thanks,
                Ajay More
                http://moreajays.blogspot.com
                • 5. Re: Gathering stats
                  Richard Harrison .
                  Hi,
                  Try
                  EXEC dbms_stats.gather_table_stats('APP','SALE_AMT',ESTIMATE_PERCENT=>100,CASCADE=>True,degree=8);

where 8 is the degree of parallelism (this should be set depending on the number of your cpu's).

Cheers,
                  Harry