This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Dec 14, 2012 1:24 PM by JeffJon RSS

EssbaseRTC folder not seen upon installing Essbase client on 64-bit box

OBIGuy Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
EPM version: 11.1.2.2
FDM Server OS: Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise, SP1 - 64-bit

As part of preparing the FDM Server for integration with Essbase, we are looking to install *32-bit Essbase runtime client* on the *64-bit FDM server*. To achieve this, we ran the Essbase client installer that is packaged within the EPM System Release 11.1.2.2.0 Client Installers for Microsoft Windows zip file (part# V32789-01) on Oracle E-Delivery. Upon installation of this client, the following key Essbase-related folders are setup on the 64-bit server, besides other files and folders:

Oracle\Middleware\EPMSystem11R1\bin
Oracle\Middleware\EPMSystem11R1\bin-32
Oracle\Middleware\EPMSystem11R1\common\EssbaseRTC-64
Oracle\Middleware\EPMSystem11R1\products\Essbase\EssbaseClient
Oracle\Middleware\EPMSystem11R1\products\Essbase\EssbaseClient-32

However, we do not see the Oracle\Middleware\EPMSystem11R1\common\EssbaseRTC folder that is referenced in the Essbase Adapter Guide for FDM 11.1.2.2. This folder shows up only when we run the same Essbase Client installer on a 32-bit machine.

I have gone through various posts on this forum, but have not come across anyone facing this issue. I am not sure if I am running the correct installler. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance..
  • 1. Re: EssbaseRTC folder not seen upon installing Essbase client on 64-bit box
    JeffJon Expert
    Was this the 32 bit client installer? Was the OS Selected as 32 bit Windows when you downloaded the 11.1.2.2. client software?
  • 2. Re: EssbaseRTC folder not seen upon installing Essbase client on 64-bit box
    OBIGuy Newbie
    When I search for EPM 11.1.2.2 Media pack for 32-bit Windows and 64-bit Windows on Oracle E-Delivery, the EPM System Client Installers file appears to be the same in both cases.

File Description: EPM System Release 11.1.2.2.0 Client Installers for Microsoft Windows
    Part Number: V32789-01
    Size: 1.6 GB

This zip file has 32-bit and 64-bit installers for certain clients (e.g. Predictive Planning, Smart View & Financial Management). However, in case of the Essbase Client, there is only one installer file. And when I run this installer on the 64-bit FDM server, it is creating some of the 32-bit folders - +\Oracle\Middleware\EPMSystem11R1\bin-32+ and +\Oracle\Middleware\EPMSystem11R1\products\Essbase\EssbaseClient-32+. It is the *\Oracle\Middleware\EPMSystem11R1\common\EssbaseRTC* folder that is missing
  • 3. Re: EssbaseRTC folder not seen upon installing Essbase client on 64-bit box
    JeffJon Expert
    I tested this and found that the EssbaseRTC folder in 11.1.2.2 will only get created directly on the Essbase Server.

if you install the Essbase 32 bit client, it will create the EssbaseClient-32 folder, but will not create a EssbaseRTC folder.
  • 4. Re: EssbaseRTC folder not seen upon installing Essbase client on 64-bit box
    OBIGuy Newbie
    Thank you so much user735469. That is correct. The machine where Essbase server is installed has both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of relevant folders (bin & bin-32, EssbaseRTC & EssbaseRTC-64, EssbaseClient & EssbaseClient-32). Guess I will need to try copying the EssbaseRTC folder from Essbase server to the FDM server and see if it works.

In your response, you mention "+if you install the Essbase 32 bit client, .....+". Are you referring to running the EPM 11.1.2.2 Clients installer on a 32-bit operating system OR is there an explicit 32-bit Clients installer for 11.1.2.2? As shared in my initial post, there does not seem to be an explicit 32-bit Clients installer for 11.1.2.2.

Just for your reference, when I run the Essbase Client 11.1.2.2 installer on a 32-bit operating system, I get the following set of folders:

Oracle\Middleware\EPMSystem11R1\bin
    Oracle\Middleware\EPMSystem11R1\common\EssbaseRTC
    Oracle\Middleware\EPMSystem11R1\products\Essbase\EssbaseClient
    Oracle\Middleware\EPMSystem11R1\products\Essbase\EssbaseClient-32
  • 5. Re: EssbaseRTC folder not seen upon installing Essbase client on 64-bit box
    JeffJon Expert
    I believe the installer picks up the OS and then lays down the EssbaseRTC folder if it is a 32 bit OS and EssbaseRTC-64 if it is a 64 bit OS.

Have you attempted to use the 64 bit RTC folder in the path?
  • 6. Re: EssbaseRTC folder not seen upon installing Essbase client on 64-bit box
    OBIGuy Newbie
    That is correct. I wanted to make sure I was using the correct Clients installer, as there is no clear information from Oracle on the bit architecture for the 11.1.2.2 client installer OR the directory structure post install based on the underlying OS. I am going to copy the EssbaseRTC folder from Essbase server to the FDM server and see if that works. Will update you on the results.

Thank you so much for your valuable inputs.
  • 7. Re: EssbaseRTC folder not seen upon installing Essbase client on 64-bit box
    JeffJon Expert
    This will work. I tested this here.

A) Copy the EssbaseRTC folder to the Oracle\Middleware\EPMSystem1R1\Common directory on the FDM server
    B) Update the Essbasepath and Path variables to point to this directory rather than EssbaseRTC-64

This will allow for FDM to integrate successfully.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points