This discussion is archived
11 Replies Latest reply: Dec 10, 2012 11:44 AM by user12273962 RSS

How to configure local disk on OVM Server as storage space to create VMs

705079 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello,

We have installed OVM Server 3.1.1 on a machine that has 250 GB of Hard disk space [Single disk].
While installing used an option - Remove all partitions and create a new default partition layout.
Around 4GB has been used and remaining 246 GB is left as free space.

From OVM Manager - the server is discovered but didn't discovered the physical disk [i.e. remaining 246 GB raw disk space].

Can someone help me to understand how to use local disk as storage space for creating and running VM's.

Thanks
Srinivas
  • 1. Re: How to configure local disk on OVM Server as storage space to create VMs
    user12273962 Pro
    This has been discussed many times here. Search the forum....

Short answer... You can't use the free space on the VM server as repo. You must have a clean LUN/DISK. Its must not have anything on it. NOTHING.

If you want something that will.... then use virtualbox, You can even download the oracle VM virtual box templates and try out Oracle VM from within Virtualbox.
  • 2. Re: How to configure local disk on OVM Server as storage space to create VMs
    Alan3 Newbie
    You can use the free space (I do this all the time)
    - BUT -
    It MUST be partitioned at the system (BIOS, RAID CONTROLLER) level BEFORE installing OVM.
    The OVM Server OS MUST 'see' the partition as a separate harddrive device (eg sdb, sdc, etc...)
    When you run the install, DO NOT select those partitions for the install.
    After that, when you discover the server, you will then see the local drives in the OVM Mgr.
  • 3. Re: How to configure local disk on OVM Server as storage space to create VMs
    Alan3 Newbie
    Here's an example from a VM server I just added.
    It has 4 300GB drives. These are grouped in the RAID controller as 2 300GB drives (using RAID 1)
    I then spanned those and added 2 virtual drives - 11GB & 588GB.
    The 11GB drive was set as my boot drive.
    OVM was installed on the 11GB drive and I de-selected the 588GB drive from the install.
    Now, I have this - notice /dev/sdb has no partitions - in OVM this is a free local disk...

# fdisk /dev/sda

Command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/sda: 10.7 GB, 10737418240 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 1305 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 * 1 13 104391 83 Linux
    /dev/sda2 14 405 3148740 83 Linux
    /dev/sda3 406 536 1052257+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Command (m for help): q

# fdisk /dev/sdb

Command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/sdb: 587.2 GB, 587261280256 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 71397 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System

Command (m for help):
  • 4. Re: How to configure local disk on OVM Server as storage space to create VMs
    heng Explorer
    Hi Srinivas,

I used to configure local storage many time with Sun, IBM, and Dell Server with SCSI disk, if you prefer to configure local storage in VM environment, you must separate disks for OS and Storage, it mean you must have at least 2 disks or 2 groups of Array and leave one is blank during installation. Than you have to configure in host file is host name ping able.

Once more, you can use some command to check as below:

+#df -kh+

or

+#fdisk -l+

You will see one disk is unformed for dom0

Thanks and regards,
    Vandy
  • 5. Re: How to configure local disk on OVM Server as storage space to create VMs
    user12273962 Pro
    He said he had only ONE disk. No matter how you slice it.... one disk will not be able to be used as a VM server and storage for a repo.
  • 6. Re: How to configure local disk on OVM Server as storage space to create VMs
    budachst Pro
    +1

At least one disk presented to the OS will not do it. You might get away with slicing the disk up using a RAID setup, but that depends on the hardware you have got and the LUNs will have to be visible under /dev/mapper to be recognized for local storage in OVM. Plus setup will have to be supported by OVM…
  • 7. Re: How to configure local disk on OVM Server as storage space to create VMs
    Alan3 Newbie
    You apparently didn't understand what I posted.
    Doesn't matter how many physical drives you have, if you partition it in the BIOS or RAID level, you can present it as separate drives to the OS and OVM will use it.
    It works fine. I use it.
    Period.

(-20)

Edited by: Alan3 on Dec 10, 2012 10:16 AM
  • 8. Re: How to configure local disk on OVM Server as storage space to create VMs
    Alan3 Newbie
    Even without a RAID setup, most (all?) modern BIOS will allow you to hard partition a single drive so the OS will accept it as multiple drives.
    I have OVM 3 running on a Lenovo Thinkpad with a single 300GB SATA drive... 10GB partition for the VM host and the rest in a separate partition used by 2 running VMs...
    I don't understand why there's so much confusion around it.
  • 9. Re: How to configure local disk on OVM Server as storage space to create VMs
    user12273962 Pro
    You can? You've used every conceivable BIOS out there? You must really be full of yourself. There is absolutely no BIOS that I know of that gives this basic function. BIOSs do not "hard partition" anything. A "BIOS" is not made for such things. Do you even know what "BIOS" stands for?

I wonder why there is some many wanting to do this and are having problems.... I mean if it is such a straight forward thing to do..... It must be down right "intuitive".

You maybe speaking of a RAID "BIOS" but you obviously think you're not. Some motherboards have integrated RAID abilities. Intel RST comes to mind... BUT this isn't a feature of a MOTHERBOARD BIOS.

I've got some $50,000 servers that will not break a single hard drive up into multiple logical drives..... Now, I haven't worked on a "Stinkpad" for many years. Don't want to. However, I have never seen one that would do what you're saying you're doing.

You maybe trying to help.... but you're leading people down a wrong path.

Its just as easy to run virtual box and use the virtual box templates for Oracle VM. In fact, its more practical if you want to run Oracle VM on a laptop for testing purposes than blowing everything away and attempting to setup different LUNS on a single hard drive.

For your review...

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/servers-storage-admin/configure-vm-templates-1656261.html

Although it's more reliable to use a separate location (such as an NFS share) for a storage repository, you can use a local disk of your Oracle VM Server instead, thus taking advantage of the local storage option. Beware, though: Oracle VM Server 3.0 doesn't allow you to utilize the unused space on the physical disk it's installed on. For local storage, you'll need at least one more physical disk. In other words, you'll need a total of two disks at minimum on your Oracle VM Server host if you want to use local storage. In practice, though, local storage is not a primary use case. The major downside to this approach is that local storage, by definition, cannot be shared between different servers.

Edited by: user12273962 on Dec 10, 2012 10:40 AM
  • 10. Re: How to configure local disk on OVM Server as storage space to create VMs
    Alan3 Newbie
    Ok. You're right. I'm wrong. I just dreamed it all up.

Srinivas - you can't do it.
    Don't even try.
    And if you should happen to find a way to do it - don't share that information on these forums.
  • 11. Re: How to configure local disk on OVM Server as storage space to create VMs
    user12273962 Pro
    Didn't say you were dreaming. Just prove it. That's all I ask. Prove it. I posted a Oracle document saying you can't. Pretty straight forward.

Can you post what bios version you're running on your thinkpad that allows you to hard partition a single hard drive into multiple luns?

Edited by: user12273962 on Dec 10, 2012 11:44 AM

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points