4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 11, 2012 6:05 PM by orafad RSS

apex_mail.send

Florin
      Hi,

I the past when working with apex 3 I was able to work with apex mailsend very nice.
      In apex 4.0 with oracle 11g ee I'm not able to send emails anymore.

Last error message in the queue is:

ORA-29279: SMTP permanent error: 550 through this server without authentication.
      the smtp server has not been changed, the code is fine

How I can go further?

Many thanks,
      Florin
        • 1. Re: apex_mail.send
          orafad
          930488 wrote:
          In apex 4.0 ...
          Apex questions should go in the Apex forum: {forum:id=137}

ORA-29279: SMTP permanent error: 550 through this server without authentication.
          the smtp server has not been changed, the code is fine
          But smtp communication may have changed, e.g. smtp config or host/ip details. Anyway, contact the administrator of the server returning the error.
          • 2. Re: apex_mail.send
            clcarter
            Usually a 550 error from an smtp server would indicate a change in the mail server setup.

But 11g also adds ACLs (Access Control Lists) and to use the utl packages for smtp, ldap, or just about anything needing access to a network service must be allowed in the ACL before it will work, note you've got an ORA-<n> error and that would not be something that an smtp server would throw.

Might have to install the ACL package see http://www.patgiri.com/?option=com_content&view=article&id=51:problem-sending-email-11g

So you may need to do the rdbms\admin scripts listed under "2. Install the DBMS_NETWORK_ACL_ADMIN package" and the steps "Create the access control lists (ACL’s):" are required.
            • 3. Re: apex_mail.send
              Florin

Edited by: 930488 on Dec 11, 2012 2:44 PM
              • 4. Re: apex_mail.send
                orafad
                clcarter wrote:
                ... access to a network service must be allowed in the ACL before it will work, note you've got an ORA-<n> error and that would not be something that an smtp server would throw.
                Agreed, in general.

But in this case the "SMTP permanent error: 550 " (+ the left out detail description such as, say, "Relay denied") text indicates a response from a smtp server, which also would seem odd if network service is not allowed in the first place. Possibly apex_mail_log contains the full error message.

Either way, verifying the communication (or lack of), and at the same time establishing a contact, with the network/mail server admin could still be a way forward.

Since XE 11.2 comes pre loaded with Apex 4.0, the documentation should have something on Network ACLs and requirements for sending mail.