This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Dec 11, 2012 12:25 PM by Usman80 RSS

PL/SQL function returning a colon delimited list of headings

Usman80 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello,

Apex version 4.1.0.23. I am editing an existing classic report which has the column heading option set to 'PL/SQL function returning a colon delimited list of headings'. I have been looking for some time but I cannot find where this PL/SQL function is defined. Can any one point me to the right direction? I do not see anything in the documentation either.

Thanks,
Usman
  • 1. Re: PL/SQL function returning a colon delimited list of headings
    Marc Sewtz Pro
    Usman,

When this option is selected, then there should be a text area shown right underneath the radio group with the label "Function returning colon delimited headings: (Value Required)". In that text area you should see that function - if one is defined, or enter your own PL/SQL function.

Regards,
    Marc
  • 2. Re: PL/SQL function returning a colon delimited list of headings
    Usman80 Newbie
    Marc,

Thanks for the quick reply. That is where I thought it would be but unfortunately I do not see any text box with that heading at all. Right after the radio buttons, the column listing starts. I do not see this option any where on the page. Not sure what is going on.

Thanks,
    Usman
  • 3. Re: PL/SQL function returning a colon delimited list of headings
    Usman80 Newbie
    I created a brand new report and I can see the text box for pl/sql function if I select that option for the column heading. For some reason, it is not showing up for the existing report. The report has over 100 columns so I am wondering if the HTML is not being rendered correctly.

Thanks,
    Usman
  • 4. Re: PL/SQL function returning a colon delimited list of headings
    Usman80 Newbie
    It turns out that APEX does not display the text box for the column heading function if there is a lot of columns in the query. It appears to be a bug. I tried I.E, Firefox and Chrome but all had the same problem. To fix this, I had to do the following::

- In 'Region Definition' tab, change 'Maximum number of generic report columns:' to 10. It was initially set to 200.
    - Go to 'Reports Attribute' tab and the text box now appears for the column heading.
    - Edit the function and change back 'Maximum number of generic report columns:' to the original value.

Hopefully this can help some one who has stumbled across this issue.

Thanks,
    Usman
  • 5. Re: PL/SQL function returning a colon delimited list of headings
    TexasApexDeveloper Guru
    It's not a bug in the sense you think. Who in their RIGHT mind could review a report with over 60 columns (let alone 100)?

I think you need to review your requirements, since there is a know limit of columns that can be produced in a report...

If I presented a user with a report that large, how would they print it?

Just a thought here..

Thank you,

Tony Miller
    Ruckersville, VA
  • 6. Re: PL/SQL function returning a colon delimited list of headings
    Marc Sewtz Pro
    Hi Usman,

I looked into this issue and found that there's some JavaScript code executed when opening the page with the PL/SQL headings option enabled, or when selecting that option after loading the page, and this JavaScript attempts to set a background color for the column heading fields. Since we only display attributes for up to 100 columns, this JavaScript fails once you have more than 100 columns.

I would certainly agree with Tony that 60 or 100 columns are a bit much. But there should be some indication why something is not working, even if it's only a message stating that there's only a certain number of columns supported. So I'll log a bug to improve this in APEX 5.0.

Thanks,
    Marc
  • 7. Re: PL/SQL function returning a colon delimited list of headings
    Usman80 Newbie
    Tony,

Believe it or not but all the columns do get used. The users do not print these reports but they use the different data elements for various functions, mostly analytically stuff.

Marc,

Thanks for logging this bug. I do agree that there should be some kind of indication why the user cannot see the text box. Thanks again for all your help.

Usman

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points