This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 12, 2012 5:36 AM by 979432 RSS

Generic Connectivity, missing agents

979432 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello,

I have been trying to setup generic connectivity on my Oracle Database. After a while I have noticed that I am missing the executable agent files in the $ORACLE_HOME/BIN path. Can anybody tell me how can I now use the generic connectivity with an OLEDB agent, as I am missng the hsolesql agent?. I have found that dg4odbc can be used instead of hsodbc but no information about hsolesql. My Oracle and Windows version is mentioned below.

Many thanks,
Wojtek

----------------------------------------------------------------
Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.5.0 - 64bit
PL/SQL Release 10.2.0.5.0 - Production
CORE 10.2.0.5.0 Production
TNS for 64-bit Windows: Version 10.2.0.5.0 - Production
NLSRTL Version 10.2.0.5.0 - Production
Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise
  • 1. Re: Generic Connectivity, missing agents
    kgronau Guru
    Wojtek,
    HSODBC was never ported to 64bit Windows, that's the reason why you don't find an executable.

In addition HSODBC was desupported in March 2008 and replaced by a follow up product called Database Gateway for ODBC. This gateway is available as release 11.2.0.3 and ported now to 64bit Windows.

You can download the 11.2.0.3 gateway product from My Oracle Support Portal (=MOS -> see also support.oracle.com). Please click on the Patches and Updates section and look for Patch 10404530: 11.2.0.3.0 PATCH SET FOR ORACLE DATABASE SERVER. Make sure to choose as platform MS Windows 64bit. According to the readme the Oracle Gateways CD is p10404530_112030_platform_5of7.zip. Download this ZIP file and extract it on the Windows machine where you want to install the gateway. Use the Oracle universal Installer to install the product into its OWN, separate Oracle_home directory. Please do NOT install the 11.2.0.3 gateway into the existing 10.2.0.5 database home as it will corrupt your existing database installation.

The configuration of DG4ODBC is similar to your HSODBC config, but there's also a note available through MOS: How to Configure DG4ODBC (Oracle Database Gateway for ODBC) on 64bit Windows Operating Systems to Connect to Non-Oracle Databases Post Install          [Document 1266572.1]     

- Klaus
  • 2. Re: Generic Connectivity, missing agents
    979432 Newbie
    Many thanks for the explanation Klaus. I will surely go through the documentation. Is there something like Oracle Database Gateway for OLEDB (not ODBC) - a replacement for the missing hsolesql?. The non-Oracle datasource should be connected via OLEDB.

Regards,
    Wojtek
  • 3. Re: Generic Connectivity, missing agents
    kgronau Guru
    Hi Wojtek,
    unfortunately this option has been dropped completely. OLEDB is not longer available, only ODBC. And just as another info, when running on a 64bit platform, DG4ODBC is 64bit and it requires a 64bit ODBC driver.
  • 4. Re: Generic Connectivity, missing agents
    979432 Newbie
    Many thanks Klaus for your help.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points