This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 12, 2012 7:07 AM by fac586 RSS

Auto complete text field dropdown gets disoriented

eldho45 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

I have designed a login page with a username and password field, i have made the username field to be "Text with autocomplete" and have given the sql code for fetching the result for the drop down, mean while when i apply style to overried the region possition using the left and right style atribute the drop down appers elsewhere in the screen which is not what i need.Can anyone help me out. I'm using Apex 4.2

Thanks in advance

Edited by: eldho45 on Dec 10, 2012 8:42 PM
  • 1. Re: Auto complete text field dropdown gets disoriented
    Paul Broughton Pro
    Hi,

Can you create an example of what your are trying to do on apex.oracle.com

Thanks

Paul
  • 2. Re: Auto complete text field dropdown gets disoriented
    eldho45 Newbie
    Hi Paul

Thanks fo you reply,

Well Paul I was able to solve the problem.

I had one region in the page named "Authentication" and this region has two boxes
    1) P101_USERNAME (Text box with autocomplete)
    2) P101_PASSWORD (Passsword)

I was trying to override the position of this region but i applies the style attributes to the ID for the body that created the problem, now i have assigned
    it to the region ID its working fine,

Thanks a lot for your concern
  • 3. Re: Auto complete text field dropdown gets disoriented
    fac586 Guru
    eldho45 wrote:

My concern would be for the security implications of using autocomplete on a login username. This allows nefarious persons to effortlessly capture the usernames of every user on the system by working their way through the alphabet keypress by keypress.
  • 4. Re: Auto complete text field dropdown gets disoriented
    Joel_C Pro
    fac586 wrote:
    eldho45 wrote:

My concern would be for the security implications of using autocomplete on a login username. This allows nefarious persons to effortlessly capture the usernames of every user on the system by working their way through the alphabet keypress by keypress.
    Could be an internal site (i.e. not exposed to the web).

Besides, I'm sure it'll be fine because everyone uses super secure passwords don't they?
    pa55word
    rangers1874
    simplythebest
    cfc1888
    trustnoone
    * ahem *
  • 5. Re: Auto complete text field dropdown gets disoriented
    fac586 Guru
    Joel_C wrote:
    fac586 wrote:
    eldho45 wrote:

Could be an internal site (i.e. not exposed to the web).
    Doesn't make any difference. Internal hacking/fraud is still hacking/fraud. And it's much more likely to succeed. The nefarious person on the inside knows the details of their colleagues' partners/children/pets/cars that will turn up in their passwords.
    Besides, I'm sure it'll be fine because everyone uses super secure passwords don't they?
    pa55word
    rangers1874
    simplythebest
    cfc1888
    trustnoone
    * ahem *
    sevco2012?

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points