1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply: Dec 13, 2012 7:00 AM by EdStevens Go to original post RSS
      • 15. Re: Oracle Restore
        Santosh Pradhan
        Also it might be the controlfile backup is older than ur datafile backup..So when u take a new hot backup things to keep in mind

alter tablespace <tablespace_name> begin backup;

copy all datafiles belonging to this tablespace.

alter tablespace <tablespace_name> end backup;

once all this is done now take a controlfile backup.
        • 16. Re: Oracle Restore
          EdStevens
          user12045405 wrote:
          Also it might be the controlfile backup is older than ur datafile backup..So when u take a new hot backup things to keep in mind

alter tablespace <tablespace_name> begin backup;

copy all datafiles belonging to this tablespace.

alter tablespace <tablespace_name> end backup;

once all this is done now take a controlfile backup.
          Why are we even discussing user mangaged backups (ALTER ... BEGIN BACKUP; ALTER .... END BACKUP;)?

At this point in the development of Oracle, there is simply no excuse for not using rman.
          • 17. Re: Oracle Restore
            Santosh Pradhan
            True what you are saying.

But the discussion just went according to his requirement.

Regards
            • 18. Re: Oracle Restore
              EdStevens
              user12045405 wrote:
              True what you are saying.

But the discussion just went according to his requirement.

Regards
              On further review, I see that the OP was doing and ALTER DATABASE (not ALTER TABLESPACE) and splitting the mirror. I've not had any first hand experience with this type of backup but understand it is a rather common way to take a quick backup of very large databases. Since I've never used it I'm not sure of the requirements for actually using the backup for recover/restore. But am willing to concede that this might be one legitimate reason to not use rman .. or at least in addition to rman.
              1 2 Previous Next