This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 12, 2012 6:38 AM by Rob_J RSS

data guard upgrade

933651 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello everybody!
I have Dataguard configured with a primary database and a standby database.
I have installed oracle 11.2.0.1 in both servers, and I want to upgrade to 11.2.0.3 by installing the patch.
I know how to install the patch in the primary.
Should I follow the same procedure also on the standby or it is different?
  • 1. Re: data guard upgrade
    Shivananda Rao Guru
    Hello,

Refer this http://shivanandarao.wordpress.com/2012/09/20/applying-psu-patch-in-a-dataguard-physical-standby-environment/

The link refers for applying PSU patch but the process is same for the upgrade method as well.

I hope you would be doing an out-of-place upgrade.

Make sure you apply the pre-requisite patches to your primary and standby database.

You need to follow the same step of what you do on primary, the only main thing that you need to keep in mind, is to not to run any upgrade scripts (catupgrd.sql or catbundle.sql) on the standby database. These scripts need to be run on the primary database with the MRP being active on the standby database. The archives generated on the primary database would be shipped and applied to the standby database. So, make sure that you do not run the upgrade scripts on the standby database.

Regards,
    Shivananda
  • 2. Re: data guard upgrade
    mseberg Guru
    Hello;

Follow these simple steps

Disable log shipping from the Primary
    Shutdown Standby
    Install 11.2.0.3 on Standby
    Startup Standby in recovery mode (do NOT run any Upgrade SQL at the standby)
    Shutdown Primary
    Install 11.2.0.3 on Primary
    Run Upgrade SQL on Primary or use DBUA
    Copy the Primary password file to the Standby and rename it in the new Oracle home.
    Re-enable log shipping
    Monitor the redo apply from Primary to Standby --- this will also upgrade the Standby data dictionary.

Also remember to check your listener.ora and tnsnames and make sure they are in the correct Oracle home after the upgrade

For additional information :

See Oracle support article : How do you apply a Patchset,PSU or CPU in a Data Guard Physical Standby configuration [ID 278641.1]

Best Regards

mseberg
  • 3. Re: data guard upgrade
    933651 Newbie
    Startup Standby in recovery mode (do NOT run any Upgrade SQL at the standby
    In this phase I must startup with the new oracle home(11.2.0.3)?
  • 4. Re: data guard upgrade
    mseberg Guru
    Correct.

So what I do is wait until the primary upgrade is complete, then start the Standby in the new home with the new copy of the password file.

Make sure you have an spfile in the new oracle home on the standby server too. A copy works fine.

Generally you will get several logs in a short amount of time to complete the standby upgrade.

Note the listener and tsnames move to the new oracle home. Restart listener on Standby.

If any of this does not make sense let me know. Did 3 of these last Saturday and its very fresh in my head.

Best Regards

mseberg

Edited by: mseberg on Dec 6, 2012 8:16 AM
  • 5. Re: data guard upgrade
    Rob_J Journeyer
    Hello,

Here are my notes on upgrading from [url http://www.ora00600.com/articles/10g-to-11g-database-upgrade.html]10g to 11g, a few paragraphs down the page are the step by step instructions which include the parts for data guard. Although it's from 10g to 11g, the process will be the same. You need to consider how to rollback if it fails. We used snap technology at the SAN level but you could replace that with Oracle flashback. Just test it thoroughly first because I had some issues when attempting to use it initially.

The steps in that guide are much exact notes so I know they work but you should most definitely still read the upgrade guide and appropriate docs, too.

Good luck!
    Rob

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points