I'm having a slight problem that I can't understand why or how to properly fix it.
First, I am trying to install Oracle 18.104.22.168 on a server that I had just repurposed.
This server had previously been set up with Oracle 22.214.171.124.
The server is running Linux 2.6.
So, first, the server was originally laid out improperly and I have more or less repartitioned it and starting over.
I've unmounted the old partitions and downloaded Oracle 126.96.36.199.
I ran it first and it apparently found the old location for the oraInventory, (probably because I had the old path still in my .profile).
Anyway, so now I've cleaned up my .profile and I've renamed the directory that the old oraInventory was located.
For reference, it was located at /opt/oracle/app/oraInventory, but I dont' want it to use this location any more.
How can I get the OUI installer to stop looking in this location?
It keeps giving me error (now that I renamed 'app' to '_app' so it can't find it).
The error I get is:
You do not have sufficient permissions to access the inventory '/opt/oracle/app/oraInventory'. Installation cannot continue.....
So, I even unzipped my downloaded software again, but that didn't help.
Does it put some file someplace that it looks to read?
I cleaned out /tmp already.
Pl post the correct OS version - I do not believe Linux 2.6 is correct :-)
Does the file "/etc/oraInst.loc" exist ? If so, pl post the contents of this file.
I think you found my problem.
Linux xxxxx.com 2.6.18-274.el5 #1 SMP Fri Jul 8 17:36:59 EDT 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
$ <none> /export/home/oracle>cat /etc/oraInst.loc inventory_loc=/opt/oracle/app/oraInventory
I will edit this file and correct it and then let you know how it goes.
Funny thing.... even though I had updated and corrected the oraInst.loc file, it apparently still had it in memory or something.
I decided to rename it (to appear it is deleted), and now the installer appears to be working.
Well, after I got all the way through the installation screens, I got the error:
OUI-10182:The effective user ID does not match the owner of the file, or the process is not the super-user; the system indicates that super-user privilege is required
Originally, the oracle user was a different userID and group, but I've doubled checked everything I can think of and everything looks correct.
Checking passwd and group files, and showing result of ID (that I run as Oracle when I run the runInstaller).
uid=152(oracle) gid=501(dba) groups=501(dba)
$ grep oracle /etc/group
$ grep oracle /etc/passwd
Also, I should add that from the same screen that I ran the installer, I can touch a file in the /oracle/oraInventory location.
Well, before I removed (renamed) the /etc/oraInst.loc file so that the installer would work.
Now I renamed it back and now the installer works and it is actually doing the installation too now.
This is strange. No explanation.
I did remove some socket file that was in /tmp directory that was owned by the old oracle user (different ID and GID).
Anyway, that seems to have worked.
Noiw, when I ran root.sh, it asked me to overwrite the old dbhome, oraenv and coraenv files.
Of course, I said YES since this is now a different user ID and GID and totally new installation.