Currently Being Moderated
DB: 11.2.0.3
EBS Upgrade: 11.5.10.2 -> R12.1.1
MW: 2.20

<-> Process Step: Upg to Rel 12.1.1
<---> Product Family: Perform the Upgrade
<-----> Task: Apply Preinstall Patches
<------->Step 1-Check for critical pre-upgrade patches for Financials

I am on my 2nd upgrade. With the first upgrade I had lots of problems with this step since it refers to an MOS note that has lots of information and refers to other MOS notes and it isn't clear what steps in those notes is duplicated within the MW steps.

The first time I did some things in the wrong order since there was no clear direction between the MW steps and all of the notes.

Is there anything that can help clarify how to correctly proceed through this task and the next task, Perform the Upgrade, which are so critical?

Thanks!
  • 1. Re: MW R12 - key upgrade steps clarification
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director
    Pl see if this MOS Doc can help

Oracle E-Business Suite Pre-install Patches Report [Video] [ID 1448102.1]

HTH
    Srini
  • 2. Re: MW R12 - key upgrade steps clarification
    user99472 Newbie
    Yep, I am following that note and trying to understand how to integrate all of that info with the MW instructions for these tasks/steps:

Task: Apply Preinstall Patches
    1-Check for critical pre-upgrade patches for Financials

Task: Perform the Upgrade
    9-Apply DBA CUP and related patches (Required)
    9.1-Apply patch 7303029 (Required)
    10-Run the American English upgrade patch driver (Required)
    11-Run the NLS upgrade patch driver (Conditionally Required)

It often isn't clear whether the MW instructions have incorporated all of the instructions in the note or not.
  • 3. Re: MW R12 - key upgrade steps clarification
    Hussein Sawwan-Oracle Employee ACE
    I am on my 2nd upgrade. With the first upgrade I had lots of problems with this step since it refers to an MOS note that has lots of information and refers to other MOS notes and it isn't clear what steps in those notes is duplicated within the MW steps.
    What MOS Doc you are referring to?
    The first time I did some things in the wrong order since there was no clear direction between the MW steps and all of the notes.

Is there anything that can help clarify how to correctly proceed through this task and the next task, Perform the Upgrade, which are so critical?
    You can find the list of docs for pre-upgrade patches in (What Do You Need To Know For A Successful Upgrade Of Oracle Payables? [VIDEO] [ID 1471844.1]).

Please also see:

Re: Oracle E-Business Suite Pre-install Patches on top of R12.1.1
    https://forums.oracle.com/forums/search.jspa?threadID=&q=1127593.1&objID=c3&dateRange=all&userID=&numResults=15&rankBy=10001

Thanks,
    Hussein
  • 4. Re: MW R12 - key upgrade steps clarification
    user11988333 wrote:
    Yep, I am following that note and trying to understand how to integrate all of that info with the MW instructions for these tasks/steps:

Task: Apply Preinstall Patches
    1-Check for critical pre-upgrade patches for Financials

Task: Perform the Upgrade
    9-Apply DBA CUP and related patches (Required)
    9.1-Apply patch 7303029 (Required)
    10-Run the American English upgrade patch driver (Required)
    11-Run the NLS upgrade patch driver (Conditionally Required)

It often isn't clear whether the MW instructions have incorporated all of the instructions in the note or not.
    I am not sure what your concern is, but have you reviewed these docs? It should cover all the steps related to MW (pre-upgrade, upgrade, post-upgrade, ..etc).

Maintenance Wizard Overview [ID 215527.1]
    Maintenance Wizard FAQ [ID 405263.1]
    Maintenance Wizard User Guide Version 2.x [ID 430734.1]

Thanks,
    Hussein
  • 5. Re: MW R12 - key upgrade steps clarification
    user99472 Newbie
    Yes, I have reviewed all of those documents.

The problem is with the way the MW gives instructions since it first refers to MOS note 954704.1 which then refers to MOS note 1448102.1 (1127593.1). It says to follow the readme for these notes (which are critical).

But the MW also has embedded instructions for each of the tasks and steps and their associated Setup, Execute, Validate components.

It isn't clear where or if the MOS note "readme" instructions overlap with the embedded MW instructions.

I suppose that I'll have to lay out the MOS note instructions and compare them to the embedded MW instructions and see where/if there is any overlap.

This is a rather critical component of the upgrade and I just wish it was clearer on how to proceed from within the MW.

Thanks
  • 6. Re: MW R12 - key upgrade steps clarification
    The problem is with the way the MW gives instructions since it first refers to MOS note 954704.1 which then refers to MOS note 1448102.1 (1127593.1). It says to follow the readme for these notes (which are critical).

But the MW also has embedded instructions for each of the tasks and steps and their associated Setup, Execute, Validate components.

It isn't clear where or if the MOS note "readme" instructions overlap with the embedded MW instructions.

I suppose that I'll have to lay out the MOS note instructions and compare them to the embedded MW instructions and see where/if there is any overlap.

This is a rather critical component of the upgrade and I just wish it was clearer on how to proceed from within the MW.
    Note: 1127593.1 no longer exists and it was replaced by (Oracle E-Business Suite Pre-install Patches Report [Video] [ID 1448102.1])

Note: 1448102.1 contains a file that can be downloaded and only lists the pre-install patches you need to apply before the upgrade.

Note: 954704.1 contains the list of patches that can be applied after the upgrade.

So, you will end up having two sets of patches:

Group 1) Pre-upgrade --> 1448102.1
    Group 2) Post-Upgrade --> 954704.1

I agree it is not clear from within the MW, but you can compare the two lists you got (one list from the Docs and the other list from the MW) and see if any of the lists is missing any patches.

Thanks,
    Hussein
  • 7. Re: MW R12 - key upgrade steps clarification
    mybro62 Journeyer
    MW lays the steps out in order. You should review Oracle E-Business Suite Pre-install Patches Report [Video] for the latest pre-upgrade patches before upgrading Note1448102.1 and merge and apply all the preinstall patches to your 12.1.1 rapid install upgrade filesystem. Then the steps in the next section should be performed in order - apply the AD CUP patches and then apply 7303029 in preinstall mode and perform the merge as directed in the MW step / readme file of the patch. It is most important that you merge the 7373029 with the 12.1.1 U driver for the fixes to up taken.
  • 8. Re: MW R12 - key upgrade steps clarification
    user99472 Newbie
    It would be really nice to have the exact steps spelled out in detail since this is too crucial to have it be vague and not well understood.

Here's how the MW explains it.

- Process Step: Upg to Rel 12.1.1
    --- Product Family: Perform the Upgrade

1) Apply pre-install patches

----- Task: Apply Preinstall Patches
    -------- Step 1-Check for critical pre-upgrade patches for Financials (Required)

I think that I understand this section except that I don't know whether patch 7303029 should be applied in this step or not.

2) Apply DBA CUP and related patches

----- Task: Perform the Upgrade
    -------- Step 9: Apply DBA CUP and related patches

This is basic and understood.

3) Step 9.1:Apply patch 7303029

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here's what the MW says for the "setup" section:

"This step will download patch 7303029. It will also verify that the u67780700.drv driver is in the correct location and ready to be merged."

Here's what it says for the "execute" section:

cd $AU_TOP/patch/115/driver
    admrgpch -d . -preinstall -master u6678700.drv
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Neither of these steps actually applies patch 7303029 in pre-install mode but I am under the impression that this needed to be done at some point.

So, please provide the exact steps needed to get this done correctly.

Thanks
  • 9. Re: MW R12 - key upgrade steps clarification
    1) Apply pre-install patches

----- Task: Apply Preinstall Patches
    -------- Step 1-Check for critical pre-upgrade patches for Financials (Required)

I think that I understand this section except that I don't know whether patch 7303029 should be applied in this step or not.
    Patch 7303029 need to be applied before the upgrade -- Oracle Applications Release Notes, Release 12.1.1 [ID 798258.1]
    Neither of these steps actually applies patch 7303029 in pre-install mode but I am under the impression that this needed to be done at some point.

So, please provide the exact steps needed to get this done correctly.
    Please see the doc referenced above.

Thanks,
    Hussein
  • 10. Re: MW R12 - key upgrade steps clarification
    mybro62 Journeyer
    These are the steps you need to follow to finish this section.

2. Apply this patch (7303029:12.1.0) in preinstall mode.

Usage: adpatch preinstall=y

3. Merge the patch drivers in $APPL_TOP/admin/$TWO_TASK/preinstall directory
    with the 12.1.1 upgrade driver $AU_TOP/patch/115/driver/u6678700.drv

Merging patch drivers in $APPL_TOP/admin/$TWO_TASK/preinstall with
    $AU_TOP/patch/115/driver/u6678700.drv:

- change directory to $AU_TOP/patch/115/driver
    (example: cd $AU_TOP/patch/115/driver)

- admrgpch -d . -preinstall -master u6678700.drv

Note: Default merged driver by name u_merged.drv would be created in the
    destination directory specified.

4. Apply the newly merged 12.1.1 upgrade driver (for example -
    $AU_TOP/patch/115/driver/u_merged.drv) with adpatch
    options=nocopyportion,nogenerateportion
  • 11. Re: MW R12 - key upgrade steps clarification
    user99472 Newbie
    Would it be possible to get some kind of errata sheet or addendum to the MW documentation for these steps that clearly explains what manual steps are needed and what MW steps are done and the order for all? This is a very important step and for it not to be totally clear is a major disappointment for the MW overall.

I've spent days reviewing these steps trying to understand exactly what needs to be done and in what order.

I am still confused as to what exactly the "setup" for Step 9.1 is doing and whether patch 7303029 is applied (in pre-install mode) before this step is run or after this step.

Thanks
  • 12. Re: MW R12 - key upgrade steps clarification
    mybro62 Journeyer
    The setup step downloads and unzips the patch and verifies that u driver is in the correct place as it states.

After reviewing this I do see that it is confusing and I will log a bug to get this corrected so that it is more clear.

The MW does NOT apply the patch in preinstall mode.

Please follow the steps I left in my last update for the correct actions.

All these details are also in the readme of the 7303029 patch. We will get the verbiage cleaned up to be more clear.

Thanks for pointing this out as you are correct - this is a VERY important step to complete properly.
  • 13. Re: MW R12 - key upgrade steps clarification
    user99472 Newbie
    For next time can I just do the following for the "setup" for step 9.1?

1) Manually download and apply patch 7303029 in pre-install mode
    2) "Ignore/do not run" the MW automated action

Also, I asked this exact same question in this forum in Nov, 2011 and here was your response:

"The text is misleading and we will correct the text and attempt to automate this step in future releases."

Since then MW v2.20 was released w/o any updates to this step.

Is there no mechanism to update or clarify MW steps (through an MOS NOTE perhaps?) that are misleading or vague? Why make the next person struggle with this or get it wrong? How many other MW steps will I get wrong because I couldn't correctly follow the MW instructions?

Thanks

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points