This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Jan 21, 2013 6:01 AM by 985242 RSS

Oracle VM Server for SPARC - network multipathing architecture question

908246 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
This is a general architecture question about how to best setup network multipathing

I am reading the "Oracle VM Server for SPARC 2.2 Administration Guide" but I can't find what I am looking for.

From reading the document is appears it is possible to:
(a) Configure IPMP in the Service Domain (pg. 155)
- This protects against link level failure but won't protect against the failure of an entire Service LDOM?
(b) Configure IPMP in the Guest Domain (pg. 154)
- This will protect against Service LDOM failure but moves the complexity to the Guest Domain
- This means the there are two (2) VNICs in the guest though?

In AIX, "Shared Ethernet Adapter (SEA) Failover" it presents a single NIC to the guest but can tolerate failure of a single VIOS (~Service LDOM) as well as link level failure in each VIO Server.
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/blogs/aixpert/entry/shared_ethernet_adapter_sea_failover_with_load_balancing198?lang=en

Is there not a way to do something similar in Oracle VM Server for SPARC that provides the following:
(1) Two (2) Service Domains
(2) Network Redundancy within the Service Domain
(3) Service Domain Redundancy
(4) Simplify the Guest Domain (ie single virtual NIC) with no IPMP in the Guest

---

Virtual Disk Multipathing appears to work as one would expect (at least according the the documentation, pg. 120). I don't need to setup mpxio in the guest. So I'm not sure why I would need to setup IPMP in the guest.

Edited by: 905243 on Aug 23, 2012 1:27 PM

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points