This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Dec 13, 2012 9:33 PM by Kayaman RSS

Need Help - I am not even a beginner in Java :(

979678 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi ,

Firstly I am at stage 0 in java. Well I have never been into any programming, but it seems like I need a little help to solve a task. I have been given a code and asked to incorporate it to fix an error.

here's the code -

4a5
import java.net.*;
225c226,227
< String file = fileElem.getAttribute("URI");
---
String file = URLDecoder.decode(fileElem.getAttribute("URI"), "UTF-8");
log.info(file);
486c488
< String file = fileElem.getAttribute("URI");
---
String file = URLDecoder.decode(fileElem.getAttribute("URI"), "UTF-8");
It is a simple URL encoding issue which could be fixed by incorporating this code. But I am too dumb that I don't even know how to do it!
Well there is a program used to decode files, But it has got simple URL encoding issue, which could be fixed by code given above.

Please have a look at the below links so you will get a clear very clear Idea.
https://tag3ulp55xczs3pn.onion.to/
https://tag3ulp55xczs3pn.onion.to/requiem-3.3.5-win.zip
https://tag3ulp55xczs3pn.onion.to/requiem-3.3.5-src.zip - source code

https://tag3ulp55xczs3pn.onion.to/cg...a448&offset=40

The above links are to a program used to decode files. its a freeware, and the source code is too available. the particular version that works for me is 3.3.5 but unfortunately it has a URL encoding issue. The developer of that program gave me the fix to the issue and has asked me to incorporate it and fix it for myself. But I as I said I have never been into any programming, and I really don't understand anything here. But I would really appreciate it if some one will teach me how to do it step-by-step and how to fix it!

Thanks in advance.
  • 1. Re: Need Help - I am not even a beginner in Java :(
    EJP Guru
    Moderator action: Deleted your duplicate post.

As to your question, all you have to do is apply a patch. It's not even a Java programming question. Just change the old code to the new code. You don't need Java expert help for that. Try one of your colleagues.
  • 2. Re: Need Help - I am not even a beginner in Java :(
    979678 Newbie
    No offense, But If at the first place I could patch it with my colleagues then I wouldn't be bothering you guys. Just help me with how to start or do show me any previous similar stuff and I will figure it out myself. Thanks for your efforts.
  • 3. Re: Need Help - I am not even a beginner in Java :(
    gimbal2 Guru
    976675 wrote:
    No offense, But If at the first place I could patch it with my colleagues then I wouldn't be bothering you guys. Just help me with how to start or do show me any previous similar stuff and I will figure it out myself. Thanks for your efforts.
    If you're to 'dumb' to know how to begin, how can you be smart enough to understand what anyone is going to explain to you?

Whenever people start referring to themselves as dumb or some other kind of self-abuse, its just an excuse to validate passing on the effort to others in stead of making it yourself. It may take you days to accomplish, but you can do it. Start researching and good luck.
  • 4. Re: Need Help - I am not even a beginner in Java :(
    979678 Newbie
    Well if I am dumb enough in one field that doesn't mean I am not smart enough in other fields! Just remember Einstein wasn't even able to remember the months in year and yet he was able to solve the most complicated mathematical formulas that I can bet you are dumb enough to even understand them! (If Not then I would be referring to you rather then Einstein!)

And by the way if I would be in the mood of passing on the efforts to others, then at the first place I would have never asked to show me the similar stuff and to let me learn from it!

Rather then provoking we both could have used our time to something useful and encouraging.
  • 5. Re: Need Help - I am not even a beginner in Java :(
    DarrylBurke Guru Moderator
    Cross posted
    http://www.java-forums.org/new-java/66441-need-help-i-am-not-even-beginner-java.html

db
  • 6. Re: Need Help - I am not even a beginner in Java :(
    979678 Newbie
    At last, I am done with my task. It was a Patch File which could be used on Linux with Patch command to update the sw. And with the help of some generous people I have figured it out how to do it! For those who have helped me out I would Like to thank them for their generous efforts and help. And moreover I would like to thank them for their support to the beginners of the industry because they knew that at one point of time they were too beginners and No one from us learned programming in their mother's womb!

For those who can't help but only criticize - Never Mind! Stay Hungry Stay Foolish! :)

Thanks for your generous efforts and help. I have successfully finished this task :)
  • 7. Re: Need Help - I am not even a beginner in Java :(
    Kayaman Guru
    But here's the thing: we don't really care. Your question was in the wrong place and we treated it as we do all misplaced questions.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points