5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 17, 2012 10:52 AM by VC RSS

    Generating PDF from DA and continue to execute

    aracila
      Hi All, need your help...
      I have a DA with couple of steps:
      somewhere in the middle i have to generate PDF report and after that refresh one of the regions on the page

      well the problem is that after i generate the report using
      window.location.href = 'f?p=&APP_ID.:0:&SESSION.:PRINT_REPORT=MyReport'; 
      the refresh of the region is not working

      same issue if i have to generate PDF and after that redirect to another page: the redirection is working but PDF is not generating.

      Looks like i don't understaffed well how to manage window.location.href

      Please help me wit any ideas
      Thanks
      Andrei
        • 1. Re: Generating PDF from DA and continue to execute
          VC
          aracila wrote:
          Hi All, need your help...
          I have a DA with couple of steps:
          somewhere in the middle i have to generate PDF report and after that refresh one of the regions on the page
          This is not how the dynamic actions work. See Understanding Dynamic Actions

          What you are trying to do is out of scope for dynamic action/JavaScript, because you are redirecting the page.
          well the problem is that after i generate the report using
          window.location.href = 'f?p=&APP_ID.:0:&SESSION.:PRINT_REPORT=MyReport'; 
          the refresh of the region is not working
          But why do you want to refresh the report after the PDF generation?
          >
          same issue if i have to generate PDF and after that redirect to another page: the redirection is working but PDF is not generating.

          Looks like i don't understaffed well how to manage window.location.href
          Yes, because window.location.href is nothing but a redirect and you can only do one redirected at any given time
          • 2. Re: Generating PDF from DA and continue to execute
            aracila
            Hi, Thanks for answering.

            I have to make some changes in the database according to the user preferences, print a report of this changes and refresh the chart(or redirect to a new page).
            I do realize that i just can let the user to click a new tab, or put a button to generate a PDF, but ideally you need to follow the business flow and provide the possibility to operate with the app in as less as possible clicks.

            The process is:
            a) user confirm to move some staff from one warehouse to another
            b) he wants me to generate a PDF with details ( to print it for his records )
            c) he is requesting me to redirect him to a main page automatically (no need to stay in the move section anymore)

            I am just tiring to follow the user requirements :)

            Is there maybe another way to generate a PDF without using window.location.href? or any other solution to my problem?

            Thanks a lot in advance,
            Andrei
            • 3. Re: Generating PDF from DA and continue to execute
              VC
              aracila wrote:
              Hi, Thanks for answering.

              I have to make some changes in the database according to the user preferences, print a report of this changes and refresh the chart(or redirect to a new page).
              I do realize that i just can let the user to click a new tab, or put a button to generate a PDF, but ideally you need to follow the business flow and provide the possibility to operate with the app in as less as possible clicks.

              The process is:
              a) user confirm to move some staff from one warehouse to another
              Populate the required session information into apex_collections
              b) he wants me to generate a PDF with details ( to print it for his records )
              Skip the PDF generation here.
              c) he is requesting me to redirect him to a main page automatically (no need to stay in the move section anymore)
              Redirect to main page > in this main page define a dynamic action on Page Load

              *1.* which runs only when a record exists in apex_collections that was stored previously

              *2.* Add a true action as Execute PLSQL code
              Code: Delete the collection.

              *3.* Add a true action as Execute JavaScript code with
              window.location.href = 'f?p=&APP_ID.:0:&SESSION.:PRINT_REPORT=MyReport';
              So the idea is as soon as the user is redirected back to main page he will be prompted with the PDF file.

              Hope this will work :)
              • 4. Re: Generating PDF from DA and continue to execute
                aracila
                Thank you, It is working some how. I did actually something like this.

                It is just not elegant and wrong :(
                • 5. Re: Generating PDF from DA and continue to execute
                  VC
                  aracila wrote:
                  Thank you, It is working some how. I did actually something like this.

                  It is just not elegant and wrong :(
                  Why ?? what's the problem?

                  Alternatively try this solution if this works for you! {thread:id=2179422}

                  Thanks,
                  Vikram