5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 14, 2012 1:56 PM by orafad RSS

Oracle XE Client

Hi, I'm using the Oracle XE, and together I'm using the visual studio Expression too.
      But I cant get connected because the VS always says that I don't have the installations needed to do that.

I couldn't find the Oracle XE Client to download.

Can someone help me?
        • 1. Re: Oracle XE Client
          sb92075
          976887 wrote:
          Hi, I'm using the Oracle XE, and together I'm using the visual studio Expression too.
          But I cant get connected because the VS always says that I don't have the installations needed to do that.
          Either you or VS is confused; but we are not able to discern which is correct.
          can you connect to XE using sqlplus or any other client?
          I couldn't find the Oracle XE Client to download.
          Most folks use Web Browser of Choice to access XE.
          • 2. Re: Oracle XE Client
            Niket Kumar
            use normal 11g client to conenct to XE database...
            • 3. Re: Oracle XE Client
              Hi, I can connect to my XE database from SQL Plus and from another application in JAVA with ojdbc6.jar!

But with Visual Studio I can't do it, I always get a error saying that I don't have the proper oracle client and network components installed :/
              • 4. Re: Oracle XE Client
                Udo
                Hi,

you probably didn't install the ODAC-components needed for VS yet. See the [url http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/visual-studio/downloads/index.html]VS-Downloads on OTN and chose the package that fits to your environment.
                If you have further questions on VS-related issues, you should post to some forum in [url https://forums.oracle.com/forums/category.jspa?categoryID=44]Category Windows and .NET as this forum is dedicated to issues specific to XE, which general issues with VS usually are not.

Thanks,

Udo
                • 5. Re: Oracle XE Client
                  orafad
                  1. It seems the issue is really with VS, so this is perhaps not the correct forum. Try google or some microsoft forum. However there is a ODT forum as a sub category to Database, if that is what you are looking for?

2. VS Express may not support what you are trying to do. Some functions are removed from VS Express compared to for fee editions. Read up on requirements and limitations of the product.

3. The server install includes Client libraries, so on the same machine it should not be necessary to install a separate database client. However if VS is 64-bit software then it wont load oracle software since it is 32-bit.

Edited by: orafad on Dec 14, 2012 8:51 PM