This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Dec 17, 2012 3:23 PM by Jimbo RSS

OEL Install Options

Jimbo Explorer
Currently Being Moderated
When installing OEL 6-2 on my x86-32, I am presented with the following installation types -
- Basic Server
- Database Server
- Web Server
- Identity Management Server
- Virtualization Host
- Desktop
- Software vDevelopment Workstation
- Minimial

Do these options install different linux packages depending on what type of server you are planning ? ( or is it just different kernel settings ? )

I am planning to install 11gR2 Database on this server - is it therefore better that I designate the server as a Database server or should I stick with the Basic Server ?

Is there any OEL Install documentation coverering these options or any of the OEL install for that matter ?

any info greatly appreciated,
Jim
  • 1. Re: OEL Install Options
    Dude! Guru
    If you are planing to install Oracle 11g I recommend to simply use the installation defaults.

For information about the installation and options:

https://linux.oracle.com/documentation/
  • 2. Re: OEL Install Options
    Avi Miller Guru
    Jimbo wrote:
    Do these options install different linux packages depending on what type of server you are planning ? ( or is it just different kernel settings ? )
    Yes. Each option selects a different set of packages.
    I am planning to install 11gR2 Database on this server - is it therefore better that I designate the server as a Database server or should I stick with the Basic Server ?
    Database in this instance means MySQL, not Oracle. So, pick Basic Server.
    Is there any OEL Install documentation coverering these options or any of the OEL install for that matter ?
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/servers-storage-admin/ginnydbinstallonlinux6-1845247.html

(Also, it's OL or Oracle Linux: there's no E/Enterprise any more and there hasn't been for about 2 years now. :) )
  • 3. Re: OEL Install Options
    Jimbo Explorer
    great thanks.

I notice for the Oracle Linux 6.2 media pack you simply download the release, yet for the Oracle Linux 6.3 media pack there appears to be a choice between a standard image ( i.e. I am assuming the Red Hat kernel ) and the Oracle Unbreakable ( UEK ) image.

The funny thing the 6.2 image would appear to be a UEK image - I am guessing this from the fact the kernel shows up as
    Oracle Linux Server Release 6.2
    Kernel 2.6.32-300.3.1.el6uek.i686 on an i686

So by my reckoning it appears for Oracle Linux 6.2 you can only download the UEK based kernel version but for version Oracle Linux 6.3 you haver a choice between what was the RHEL kernel and the UEK kernel - is that correct ?

Jim
  • 4. Re: OEL Install Options
    Avi Miller Guru
    Jimbo wrote:
    So by my reckoning it appears for Oracle Linux 6.2 you can only download the UEK based kernel version but for version Oracle Linux 6.3 you haver a choice between what was the RHEL kernel and the UEK kernel - is that correct ?
    Nope. The Installer DVD for both uses the RHCK, but boots into the UEK after install. This is described in the Release Notes for each version:

https://oss.oracle.com/ol6/docs/RELEASE-NOTES-U2-en.html
    https://oss.oracle.com/ol6/docs/RELEASE-NOTES-U3-en.html

However, we provide an additional Boot-only ISO for 6.3 that uses the UEK for both installation and first boot. This is to allow us to provide btrfs as a root filesystem option during installation. The Boot-only ISO requires the contents of the full DVD to be available on the local network when you are installing a new machine, i.e. it doesn't contain a full install source.
  • 5. Re: OEL Install Options
    Jimbo Explorer
    Thanks Avi. Can I be a bit of a numpty and ask what is meant when the Release notes talk about the Upstream Kernel ? I appreciate it is some sort of master standard for the kernel ( but who's kernel ? )

Jim
  • 6. Re: OEL Install Options
    Avi Miller Guru
    Jimbo wrote:
    Thanks Avi. Can I be a bit of a numpty and ask what is meant when the Release notes talk about the Upstream Kernel ? I appreciate it is some sort of master standard for the kernel ( but who's kernel ? )
    Actually, in this instance the Upstream Kernel == Red Hat Compatible Kernel, i.e. the kernel from the upstream distribution.
  • 7. Re: OEL Install Options
    Jimbo Explorer
    Avi thanks for all your helpful insights
    Jim

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points