This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 26 Replies Latest reply: Jan 28, 2013 10:50 AM by TarunRally Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: Java 7 Update 9 on OS X Breaks Java Webstart Application
    969294 Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated
    -- Did you install Apple's most recent Java update that came out this week?
    Yes.
    Paste the output of '/usr/libexec/java_home -V' and '/usr/libexec/java_home -t WebStart'.
    /usr/libexec/java_home -V
    Matching Java Virtual Machines (4):
    1.7.0_09, x86_64:     "Java SE 7"     /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.7.0_09.jdk/Contents/Home
    1.7.0_07, x86_64:     "Java SE 7"     /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.7.0_07.jdk/Contents/Home
    1.6.0_37-b06-434, x86_64:     "Java SE 6"     /System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home
    1.6.0_37-b06-434, i386:     "Java SE 6"     /System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home

/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.7.0_09.jdk/Contents/Home

/usr/libexec/java_home -t WebStart
    /System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home
    Also, when you double-click the JNLP, see if there is any output in Console.app.
    Nothing when all message selected.

I have not installed the 7u10 suggested in earlier message.

Appreciate the assistance.
  • 16. Re: Java 7 Update 9 on OS X Breaks Java Webstart Application
    Bjoern Rost Oracle ACE Director
    I am having the same issue on one of the macs in the office. 7u9 also did not install the "java" thing in system preferences. 7u10 fixed that but unfortunately double-clicking jnlp files does not work. It seems like the Java Web Start CoreService is simply wrong or broken since manually starting javaws from the right directory works.
    I also installed the complete jdk7 from oracle (instead of just the jre) in an attempt to fix this but the error remains the same. "java -version" in the terminal returns Oracle's version 7 at this point.

I am thinking of "fixing" this by copying the contents of the CoreService Directory from one of the other machines that does work fine.

Bjoern
  • 17. Re: Java 7 Update 9 on OS X Breaks Java Webstart Application
    970675 Newbie
    I get this response:

Matching Java Virtual Machines (2):
    1.6.0_37-b06-434, x86_64:     "Java SE 6"     /System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home
    1.6.0_37-b06-434, i386:     "Java SE 6"     /System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home

/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/Current/Commands/java_home -t WebStart

Seems like Java 7 is not installed? Any suggestions?
  • 18. Re: Java 7 Update 9 on OS X Breaks Java Webstart Application
    838817 Newbie
    While trying to run a javaws app such as beehive I get the following error message:

$ /Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/bin/javaws ~/oraclebeehiveconference-33.jnlp
    $ Error: This Java instance does not support a 32-bit JVM.
    Please install the desired version.

Same for the default 1.6 javaws

$ javaws /Users/perrohunter/Downloads/oraclebeehiveconference-33.jnlp
    $ Error: This Java instance does not support a 32-bit JVM.
    Please install the desired version.

This gives me the idea that 32-bit java apps are no longer being supported.
  • 19. Re: Java 7 Update 9 on OS X Breaks Java Webstart Application
    808749 Newbie
    I'm also having this issue. Here's my output:

Matching Java Virtual Machines (1):
    1.7.0_10, x86_64:     "Java SE 7"     /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.7.0_10.jdk/Contents/Home

/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.7.0_10.jdk/Contents/Home

/usr/libexec/java_home -t WebStart

Any help would be appreciated!
  • 20. Re: Java 7 Update 9 on OS X Breaks Java Webstart Application
    969294 Newbie
    Hello,

I saw the 10 update available so I downloaded, mounted the dmg's and ran the installers, first for the jre and then for the jdk. Both of the installers came back saying they had errors. The concole shows:

12/11/12 5:58:06.989 PM Installer[1798]: The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.

To answer your Scott K's questions since the update:
    -- Did you install Apple's most recent Java update that came out this week? It looks like you did, because I see
    1.6.0_37 in some of your testing. I'm starting to suspect that update may be the problem. In the past it would fall
    back to Java 6, but with this update it disabled Java 6's applet and web start support.
    Yes I did install the Apple update when it became available
    Paste the output of '/usr/libexec/java_home -V' and '/usr/libexec/java_home -t WebStart'. The first will tell me what
    versions of Java are installed, and the second is the fallback Java that should be used if Java 7 is not installed.
    $ /usr/libexec/java_home -V
    Matching Java Virtual Machines (5):
    1.7.0_10, x86_64:     "Java SE 7"     /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.7.0_10.jdk/Contents/Home
    1.7.0_09, x86_64:     "Java SE 7"     /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.7.0_09.jdk/Contents/Home
    1.7.0_07, x86_64:     "Java SE 7"     /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.7.0_07.jdk/Contents/Home

/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.7.0_10.jdk/Contents/Home

$ /usr/libexec/java_home -t WebStart
    Also, when you double-click the JNLP, see if there is any output in Console.app. Java Web Start.app may
    be dumping out some kind of error when you try to open your JNLP.
    There is nothing in the console when it gives me the error.

What I have done is set up some symbolic links for java6 and java7 so I can go to the directory via
    command line and then run javaws against the jnlp I need to open. This works fine.
    java6-bin -> /System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home/bin
    java7-bin -> /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/bin

Now my concern is that both 7_10 jre and jdk both reported failure in the installer and yet it looks
    like some of it was installed. If this thread sits without response, may open another referring to the
    upgrade issue only. I have a ugly work around for the jnlp for now.

Please let me know if I can provide further information.

Thanks
    Joe
  • 21. Re: Java 7 Update 9 on OS X Breaks Java Webstart Application
    980596 Newbie
    It seems like Oracle Java 7 JRE doesn't support Mac's with case-sensitive file systems, which in my opinion is a huge oversight by Oracle.

The Java preference pane was no where to be found after running the installer, only after pulling up the Console.app did i see that the .prefpane file should be named .prefPane. Also other files that should be present are not.

• 22. Re: Java 7 Update 9 on OS X Breaks Java Webstart Application
    980608 Newbie
    It seems like Oracle Java 7 JRE doesn't support Mac's with case-sensitive file systems, which in my opinion is a huge oversight by Oracle.

The Java preference pane was no where to be found after running the installer, only after pulling up the Console.app did i see that the .prefpane > file should be named .prefPane.
    This is just a simple bug that has already been fixed and will be available in one of the next updates.
    Also other files that should be present are not.
    What files are you looking for that should be present and are not?

Chris
  • 23. Re: Java 7 Update 9 on OS X Breaks Java Webstart Application
    980596 Newbie
    I don't see any of the jdk7 files that other people are seeing....

ls /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/
    1.6.0_26-b03-383.jdk

Also, I cannot get Java Web Start to work from Safari or any other browser on my mac.
  • 24. Re: Java 7 Update 9 on OS X Breaks Java Webstart Application
    969294 Newbie
    The Java preference pane was no where to be found after running the installer, only after pulling up the Console.app
    did i see that the .prefpane > file should be named .prefPane.
    This is just a simple bug that has already been fixed and will be available in one of the next updates.
    Will the case-sensitive file system issue be fixed in an upcoming release? That may be a source of
    the issues I have been having since installing the Oracle release.

Thanks
    Joe
  • 25. Re: Java 7 Update 9 on OS X Breaks Java Webstart Application
    TarunRally Newbie
    Finally... found a fix

First
    rm $HOME/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.java.JavaPreferences.*

I don't know what's in there, but mine had a bunch of old JDKs including JDK 1.7u4 that I think was messing with things.

Second step depends on what JDK you want to run
    For JDK 6
    sudo ln -sf /System/Library/Java/Support/Deploy.bundle/Contents/Home/bin/javaws /usr/bin/javaws

For JDK7
    sudo mv /usr/bin/javaws /usr/bin/javaws.old

create /usr/bin/javaws with the following contents:
    #!/bin/sh

/Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/bin/javaws "@$"

Now Java Web Start.app uses /usr/bin/javaws and it works... for me!
  • 26. Re: Java 7 Update 9 on OS X Breaks Java Webstart Application
    TarunRally Newbie
    slight correction:

For JDK 7 use:

sudo mv /usr/bin/javaws /usr/bin/javaws.old

create /usr/bin/javaws with the following contents:
    #!/bin/sh

/Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/bin/javaws *"$@"*
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points