I am having problems getting ODBC working with instant client. This is what I have done so far:
1. I installed Instant Client from this page: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/topics/winsoft-085727.html
The file I downloaded was: instantclient-basic-win32-10.2.0.3-20061115.zip
2. Next, I installed SQL*Plus with this file: instantclient-sqlplus-win32-10.2.0.3-20061115.zip
Now I have SQL*Plus working with instant client.
3. After that I downloaded instantclient-odbc-win32-10.2.0.3-20061115.zip for ODBC.
4. I unzipped the odbc zip file into the Instant Client folder and ran odbc_install.exe. Now I have 'Oracle in instantclient 10_2' showing up in the drivers tab of ODBC Data Source Administrator.
5. Now, if I try to add add a DSN and choose 'Oracle in instantclient 10_2' as the data source, I get an error "ODBC Administrator has stopped working" (http://i50.tinypic.com/jifl2g.png)
I can add DSNs using any other data source without problems. The aforementioned error comes up only when I use 'Oracle in instantclient 10_2' as the data source.
Can someone please let me know how to resolve this?
I am running Windows Vista Business edition 32-bit.
Thanks & Regards,
Edited by: unubar on Dec 17, 2012 9:42 PM
Two dimensions of compatibility/requirements:
Vertically - This is your application, APIs, .Net, operating system etc. that may define requirements on Oracle Client version, and vice versa.
Horisontally - "on the wire" or connectivity wise - Oracle certifies client - server interoperability at least two releases or major versions back/apart, so yes, 10.2 is/was* supported. See MOS interoperability matrix for your specific case.
(*was since 10.2 Database is out of support or even Extended support by now. Perhaps it is time to upgrade the server side also ;-))
I need to connect to Oracle via ODBC from an application I am developing for this client. I will check with the 11.2 instant client and hope that it works.
I will appreciate if you have a link for the "MOS interoperability matrix".