This discussion is archived
10 Replies Latest reply: Dec 24, 2012 1:24 PM by Srini Chavali-Oracle RSS

11g for Linux X86 or 11g for  Linux X86-64

alz2real Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello all. I'm a little confused on which Oracle Database for the Linux OS to download, X86 or X86-64. I've been running my Oracle Database 11g on my laptop using a windows 7 OS. I would really love to have it on a Linux platform. I currently have VMware Workstation installed on my laptop and plan to run my Linux OS as a virtual machine(Guest OS) on my system. I have an installation media for RHEL 6 (32 bit) available. So, what would y'all advice? do i go for Oracle 11g for Linux X86 or Oracle 11g for Linux X86-64? What exactly is the difference btw the both of them?
  • 1. Re: 11g for Linux X86 or 11g for  Linux X86-64
    Avi Miller Guru
    alz2real wrote:
    I have an installation media for RHEL 6 (32 bit) available. So, what would y'all advice? do i go for Oracle 11g for Linux X86 or Oracle 11g for Linux X86-64? What exactly is the difference btw the both of them?
    You don't have a choice. x86 = 32-bit. x86_64 = 64-bit. If you want to stick with RHEL6 (32-bit) you can only use Oracle 11g for Linux x86 (32-bit).

However, keep in mind that Oracle Linux 6 is free to download, use and update (unlike RHEL6), so you could consider using that instead and downloading the 64-bit version. This will allow you to use the x86_64 build of Oracle database 11g.

Further, keep in mind that you can't use the 11gR2 download from OTN to install on RHEL6 or OL6. You need the latest 11.2.0.3.0 release from My Oracle Support.
  • 2. Re: 11g for Linux X86 or 11g for  Linux X86-64
    Dude! Guru
    In addition to what Avi Miller already outlined, the x86 versions of the Linux OS and Database software are limited by the amount of RAM they can use and allocate. Under x86, a process cannot address more than 3.5 GB of RAM, and also the 32-bit kernel has a RAM limit that is not longer state of the art with modern systems and usage.

I don't really see the point why you would want to install 32-bit software on a x86_64 machine. In particular not under VirtualBox or VMware, which require x86_64 guest OS to use CPU hardware assisted virtualization (Intel VT-x or AMD-V). 32-bit is simply legacy and obsolete for any modern desktop or server system. Maybe not for a MS Windows PC, which might still use old 32-bit drivers and peripheral.
  • 3. Re: 11g for Linux X86 or 11g for  Linux X86-64
    alz2real Newbie
    Thanks for the timely response Miller. Nice to know we've got professionals out there who are willing to help.
  • 4. Re: 11g for Linux X86 or 11g for  Linux X86-64
    alz2real Newbie
    Hello Miller. Concerning your reply earlier, i presume downloading the latest version of 11g(11.2.0.3.0) from My Oracle Support would require a license which certainly cost a lot. I presently work as an entry level project engineer and I'm also oracle certified. I hope to, one day, work as an Oracle Professional and as such i constantly practice with it on my laptop. Aren't those huge license agreements for medium to large scale organizations? whats a guy like me suppose to do? I have so many ebooks on oracle, and majority of the teachings are on the Linux platform. What do i do? I so so love the Oracle Database Technology, i just can't let go.

P.S : I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE SOME ADVICE FROM DUDE TOO.
  • 5. Re: 11g for Linux X86 or 11g for  Linux X86-64
    Avi Miller Guru
    alz2real wrote:
    Hello Miller. Concerning your reply earlier, i presume downloading the latest version of 11g(11.2.0.3.0) from My Oracle Support would require a license which certainly cost a lot.
    You'd need access to MOS, yes. You could just download Oracle Linux 5 and install the version you already have on that.
  • 6. Re: 11g for Linux X86 or 11g for  Linux X86-64
    Dude! Guru
    What huge license costs you are referring to? I can certainly not give any authoritative and reliable info about licensing costs, but you can check http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/pricing/index.html to get some ideas. You can often get away with a named user license, even single because application access is often web-based and hence there is only one user actually connecting to the database. Oracle does generally not cripple its software based on licensing constrains.

In your case I recommend to leave whatever OS is supported or best for your Laptop installed. Perhaps install 8 GB of RAM and a larger HD, assuming it is recent Intel Dual-Core CPU. Check http://ark.intel.com/VTList.aspx to find out if your CPU supports VT-x. Then install VirtualBox (free), Oracle Linux 5.8 x86_64 (free) as the guest system. Finally install Oracle database 11g 11.2.0.1, which as far as I'm aware is free for the purpose of evaluating the software and self-studying.

You can download Oracle 11g 11.2.0.1 from OTN downloads or everything, including Oracle Linux for free from the Oracle software cloud http://edelivery.oracle.com. For info about Oracle linux, http://linux.oracle.com is a good start.
  • 7. Re: 11g for Linux X86 or 11g for  Linux X86-64
    alz2real Newbie
    Thanks very much Dude. Very helpful. Really appreciate this.
  • 8. Re: 11g for Linux X86 or 11g for  Linux X86-64
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director
    Pl see my blog (linked in my profile) on how to install 11gR2 in a Virtualbox Linux VM running on a Win 7 Home host

HTH
    Srini
  • 9. Re: 11g for Linux X86 or 11g for  Linux X86-64
    DC Pro
    Can Windows 8 Home Edition host Virtualbox Linux VM that support 11gR2? I have 6 GB RAM and 750 GB hard drive on a HP laptop.

Thanks
  • 10. Re: 11g for Linux X86 or 11g for  Linux X86-64
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director
    Have not tried this since I do not have access to Win 8. As of now there is no documentation that states that Virtualbox is either certified or not certified with Win 8.

Assuming that Virtualbox can be installed and used without issues on Win 8, there are some pre-built VMs available that may be of help.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/community/developer-vm/index.html

HTH
    Srini

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points