This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply: Dec 24, 2012 9:44 PM by SNR RSS

Preparation for OCA

NickRobheart Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,
I have got my Oracle licensed training eKit 10g Workshop-I and Workshop-II from Oracle today and everything seems legit.
My question was, will 11g also be available as an eKit fom Oracle for an ask ?

Also, I'm in preparation of 11g OCA exam firstly and so I guess Workshop-I is mainly for OCA (which includes both SQL Fundamentals 1 and Admin I papers ) while Workshop-II (which includes Admin II paper) is solely for 11g OCP certification right ?

Source: http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=458&get_params=p_track_id:Datab11g
  • 1. Re: Preparation for OCA
    matthew_morris Expert
    I have got my Oracle licensed training eKit 10g Workshop-I and Workshop-II from Oracle today and everything seems legit.
    I'm not really sure what you mean by legit. The eKit generally refers to the course materials provided to a student that has paid to attend the course. If you did not pay to attend the Oracle Workshop I & II courses, then the eKits may well be legitimately from Oracle, but you have not obtained them legally.
    My question was, will 11g also be available as an eKit fom Oracle for an ask ?
    If you mean can they be legally obtained for free, the answer is no. The fact that you have posed this question implies that you obtained the 10G materials simply by asking.
    ...so I guess Workshop-I is mainly for OCA (which includes both SQL Fundamentals 1 and Admin I papers )
    The "Oracle Database 10g: Administration Workshop I" is geared towards the test *1Z0-042: Oracle Database 10g: Administration I*. It has nothing to do with *1Z0-051: Oracle Database 11g: SQL Fundamentals I*, or the older *1Z0-007: SQL Fundamentals I*
    ..while Workshop-II (which includes Admin II paper) is solely for 11g OCP certification right ?
    If you have the 10G Workshop II, then it is geared towards *1Z0-043: Oracle Database 10g: Administration II*. If you have the 11G Workshop II, then it is directed at the test *1Z0-053: Oracle Database 11g: Administration II*.

That said, if you have obtainted the material illegally, I'd recommend getting rid of them and using legally obtained study materials.
  • 2. Re: Preparation for OCA
    NickRobheart Newbie
    I'm sure I did pay for the 10g and its is legal and it has my name on the pdf files too :).
    Although, I changed my mind to prepare for 11g Certification later so was just checking if 11g eKit is available to purchase or if 10g eKit is sufficient ?

You have answered my questions about the certifications . Thanks. So just so for my understanding for a 11g certification

1Z0-051 and 1Z0-052 is for OCA certification which is called Workshop -I
    and
    1Z0-053 is for OCP certification which is termed as Workshop -II

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
  • 3. Re: Preparation for OCA
    matthew_morris Expert
    I'm sure I did pay for the 10g and its is legal and it has my name on the pdf files to
    I didn't mean to offend... but you'd be amazed at how often we get people on here asking about material obtained illegally.
    1Z0-051 and 1Z0-052 is for OCA certification..
    Correct.
    ...which is called Workshop -I
    Partially correct. Workshop I is preparation for the Admin test (1Z0-052). It does not deal with SQL, which is what 1Z0-051 is about. There are a couple of different courses from OE to prepare for this exam:

Oracle Database: SQL Fundamentals I
    http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/show_desc.redirect?dc=D64258GC10

Certification Exam Preparation Seminar: Oracle Database SQL
    http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/OU_TRAINING_ONDEMAND.loadDay1TOD?p_course_id=D76054GC10

1Z0-053 is for OCP certification which is termed as Workshop -II
    Correct.

I changed my mind to prepare for 11g Certification later so was just checking if 11g eKit is available to purchase or if 10g eKit is sufficient ?
    I seriously doubt that you can work a swap with OE, but I cannot say that it is impossible. You could also pursue the 10G OCP and then take the upgrade exam. At that point you would be certified in both versions. I don't really understand if you have taken the courses or will be taking them, or what. If you have already paid for the 10G courses, to turn around and pay for the 11G ones would seem an expensive option.
  • 4. Re: Preparation for OCA
    bigdelboy Pro
    A number of things dont seem right to me here according to my understandings of the ways of the Oracle, though I am always open to learning.

Somehow it feels like a Peckham Market transaction. But my understanding of Indian culture, and its rich variety, is far from perfect.

As far as I know Oracle University does not sell 'eKits' without additional training ... the eKit is to supplement additional training (eg classroom, Live Virtual Class). But I could be wrong here. I am not authorative.

There are at least 3 additional forms of training that I would not call an ekit
    -- Training on demand.
    -- Exam Prep Seminars
    -- Self Study Training

References:

Training on demands:
    http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=600
    - Choose 'Courses TAB'; Database (TAB/Button);

The most important thing is to research and understand your certification track properly. And to realise if you go for DBA OCP you will need authorised training from an authorised provider.

Please be aware I have noticed some the what in my opinion were questionable assertions/action by certain authorised?/unauthorised? trainers or Oracle in Hyderabad (and elsewhere) at times past and I have had to ask for their posts to be removed from this forum. So be cautious. Some will do various things to get people's money.

Reference: https://blogs.oracle.com/certification/entry/are_you_getting_your_training
    ( This is now slightly old and would not cover more recent training on demand).
  • 5. Re: Preparation for OCA
    NickRobheart Newbie
    @matthew_morris:
    Thanks I really appreciate your efforts in replying in a simple language that everyone can understand. Yes, even I would be considering learning 10g courses but the migration part is something ill think upon later. Is there any major difference you think its gonna make if I learn 10g course work and a 11g Migration course offered which is offered by my Authorized Provider which might make me think directly looking for a 11g certification?

@bigdelboy :
    Just so you know. I'm actually going through an authorized training from an authorized provider. I Would not like to put the name out though but yes they are actually a member with Oracle Workforce Development Program (WDP).
    The eKits that I have are definitely not any braindumps and I'm aware of this as I did read it in a different forum : https://blogs.oracle.com/certification/entry/0477
  • 6. Re: Preparation for OCA
    matthew_morris Expert
    Is there any major difference you think its gonna make if I learn 10g course work and a 11g Migration course
    offered which is offered by my Authorized Provider which might make me think directly looking for a 11g certification?
    On the whole, if I were to pull a number out of my head about the degree of commonality between 10G and 11G I'd say that it would lie in the 85-90% range. Mind you, the 10-15% difference in 11G introduced some really good features... the most significant of which will be covered in the upgrade test. The 10G vs 11G OCP exams share even more commonality than that because not all of the new 11G features will be covered in the 11G OCP.

Put another way, if you get the 10G OCP, then take the 11G upgrade, obviously you'll know more about 10G than if you do the 11G OCP alone. However, after taking the 10G->11G upgrade exam, you'll also know more about the new features in 11G than you would have if you take just the 11G OCP track.
  • 7. Re: Preparation for OCA
    bigdelboy Pro
    NickRobheart wrote:

@bigdelboy :
    Just so you know. I'm actually going through an authorized training from an authorized provider. I Would not like to put the name out though but yes they are actually a member with Oracle Workforce Development Program (WDP).
    Yes ... Usually not better to mention names.
    The eKits that I have are definitely not any braindumps and I'm aware of this as I did read it in a different forum : https://blogs.oracle.com/certification/entry/0477
    .... Good ... Okay .... this makes sense.

.... I'd expect someone on authorized training courses to be given eKits. The eKit is associated with training so i am comfortable.

.... I have seen enough on this forum I do not trust all WDP providers entirely, especially in certain countries. However I suspect the situation is getting better, and I mostly see the bad stories here (and also on some other sites).

The key point for you is you are receiving 10g courses. In terms of certification (one) of those are a valid pre-requisite for 10g DBA OCP . ( And would not be sufficient for 10g DBA OCP).

So I would strongly recommend from your current position with the training you have purchased your take:
    1z0-051 (or alternative SQL) exam.
    1z0-042 .... to get 10g DBA OCA
    1z0-043 .... (which with your previous 10g DBA OCA and authorized 10g training will give you 10g DBA OCP)

you may later take 1z0-050 to upgrade from 10g DBA OCP to 11g DBA OCP. What training you take for this is not relevant for the certification award. If you are happy with your training from the WDP provided and they are offering an upgrade at an acceptable cost then that is okay.
  • 8. Re: Preparation for OCA
    NickRobheart Newbie
    >

>
    >
    you may later take 1z0-050 to upgrade from 10g DBA OCP to 11g DBA OCP. What training you take for this is not relevant for the certification award. If you are happy with your training from the WDP provided and they are offering an upgrade at an acceptable cost then that is okay.
    Really a wise advise bigdelboy. I'll certainly think about it for sure. I just would have to complete my training first and eventually will have time to check with these course upgrade that they offer.

I would like to ask something else. Was wondering what will be the hardware requirements for OEL to install.
    I have windows 7, sooner (upgrading to windows 8 though) on my home desktop and for practice, I wanted to install OEL 6.3(if that is latest). So, will dual OS be suggestible for practice without any conflicts or would u suggest doing it with a virtual box install
  • 9. Re: Preparation for OCA
    matthew_morris Expert
    So, will dual OS be suggestible for practice without any conflicts or would u suggest doing it with a virtual box install
    If you want to do that, I'd suggest using a virtual machine. One site has instructions here:

http://zoomerhammerball.sytes.net/wiki/index.php?title=Oracle_Enterprise_Linux_6.3_Installation

I couldn't actually find anything on the requirements. That said... this is not really the right forum to ask that particular question... :)
  • 10. Re: Preparation for OCA
    bigdelboy Pro
    >
    I would like to ask something else. Was wondering what will be the hardware requirements for OEL to install.
    I have windows 7, sooner (upgrading to windows 8 though) on my home desktop and for practice, I wanted to install OEL 6.3(if that is latest). So, will dual OS be suggestible for practice without any conflicts or would u suggest doing it with a virtual box install
    I'd possible like to add a couple of thoughts on this.
    ... If you are trying to install Oracle 10g there sometimes can be some issues with the version of linux OL. So recommend follow a guide.
    ... I'd tend to agree with the virtualbox approach, ensure you have enough ram though. Another approach is a separate box, for example a dell 755 with maybe 4gb of ram that you can run headless after install ... that has advantages / disadvantages.
  • 11. Re: Preparation for OCA
    NickRobheart Newbie
    matthew_morris wrote:
    So, will dual OS be suggestible for practice without any conflicts or would u suggest doing it with a virtual box install
    If you want to do that, I'd suggest using a virtual machine. One site has instructions here:

http://zoomerhammerball.sytes.net/wiki/index.php?title=Oracle_Enterprise_Linux_6.3_Installation

I couldn't actually find anything on the requirements. That said... this is not really the right forum to ask that particular question... :)
    Indeed. What i've heard is, it all comes down to the workload that you are going to run. That may dictate the h/w requirements.
    I did find a source : http://www.oracle.com/us/technologies/linux/product/specifications/index.html
    But that wasnot correctly projected for a home desktop anyway.
    I'll work on it though. Thanks for the help.

@Bigleboy : Thanks for ur reply. I just have one more question if I may ask,

Are they any special pre-requisite commands or permissions to install the Database Server for the 11g. I mean both in Oracle Linux 5 Vs Oracle Linux 6 ??
    I have few scripts that were giving errors which was sorted out by my guide but it was a 11g R1 but I was looking for 11g R2 installation before installing the actual Database.
    Hope u understand what I was talking about. All I meant was the installation in simple words :)
  • 12. Re: Preparation for OCA
    bigdelboy Pro
    @Bigleboy : Thanks for ur reply. I just have one more question if I may ask,
    All I meant was the installation in simple words :)
    Again this is better asked on the Linux ( or perhaps Oracle Installation forums) where there are a few people you are particularly up to speed on this. ( I've been more solaris than OEL, or OL as they like to call it now recently). OLx.x can sometimes be exacting in its requirement for Oracle Database installations, getting the right packages installed, firewall and SELinux overcome (or disabled). In particular OL6.x had challenges for an Oracle Database Installs. And earlier (unpatched) versions of the database on newer OS versions may also have issues, which is why I am cautious (and perhaps over cautious) of 10gR2 on OEL6 { I haven't researched it }. I recall guides from Jeff Hunter and others being useful in times gone by, and have not researched whether these remain valid.

From a certification point of view (esp. for DBA's) however this is a useful reminder to:
    - Find and check original documentation, release notes. ( They really aren't that bad most of the time, and a DBA needs to do this, at least sometimes they are clearer and better than some guides, once you know where look. Part of the certification journey should be practicing doing this ).
    - The DBA should be prepared to read his installation documentation and release notes carefully, and respect version pre-requisites ( or prepare for a life of service outages ).

Some Links:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/index.html
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/servers-storage-admin/ginnydbinstallonlinux6-1845247.html
    http://www.oracle.com/pls/db112/portal.portal_db?selected=11&frame=
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/linux/index-099698.html

... This should really be on one of the forums mentioned, but perhaps it useful for other certification googlers to checkout information Oracle itself actually provides through itself rather than relying on guides. The links and associated links have varying levels of authority
  • 13. Re: Preparation for OCA
    NickRobheart Newbie
    That explains all .
    Thanks bigdelboy and matthew
  • 14. Re: Preparation for OCA
    SNR Newbie
    Hi,

I am using Classic ASP, ASP.Net and Oracle 10g with which I am designing table and mostly SQL codes for fetching data and generate reports in excel sheet, creating database users, etc.

and I wish to do Oracle DBA Certification.

Please guide me._

I have given the first 1Z0-007 Introduction to Oracle 9i: SQL exam and I am successfully passed it.

1. If I opt for Database track, Can I switch to Developer track in future and
    2. If I opt for Developer track, Can I switch to Database track in future.
    If it is possible, please specify the certification paper codes for the both track.

Thanks in advance.+
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points