produce a range of numbers with select from the gaps of ID column

PuraVidaOTN
      (1)

Suppose I have a table t which has rows like this:

A B
      ---------- ----------
      2 4
      6 7

I would like to use select to produce rows with numbers ranging between A column and B column inclusive
      for each row, like this:

select ... from t ...

(2)

Suppose I have ID column which has gaps, I would like to get lowest <N> available numbers between the gaps.
      I did research, and I can find the range of the gaps, but I cannot have the numbers listed individually, that is why
      I ask question (1). But is there a direct way to get the list instead of going through ranges and the list.

For example, I have ID column which has

I would like to get a select query that produces

select ...

I have a way to get a list from 2 to 2000000 and then minus what we have to get all the
      gap numbers, but that is not efficient and could runs out of memory.

PS: Before I post to this group, I did research already on "connect by", with recursive queries.
        • 1. Re: produce a range of numbers with select from the gaps of ID column
          jeneesh
          PuraVidaOTN wrote:
          I would like to use select to produce rows with numbers ranging between A column and B column inclusive
          for each row, like this:
          Assuming no duplicates in the table..
          with t as
          (
           select 2 c1,4 c2 from dual union all
           select 6 c1,7 c2 from dual 
          )
          select c1,c2,c1+level-1 c
          from t
          connect by c1+level-1 <= c2
          and prior c1 = c1
          and prior c2 = c2
          and prior sys_guid() is not null;

C1 C2 C
          -- -- -
           2  4 2 
           2  4 3 
           2  4 4 
           6  7 6 
           6  7 7 
          Suppose I have ID column which has gaps, I would like to get lowest <N> available numbers between the gaps.
          I did research, and I can find the range of the gaps, but I cannot have the numbers listed individually, that is why
          I ask question (1). But is there a direct way to get the list instead of going through ranges and the list.

I have a way to get a list from 2 to 2000000 and then minus what we have to get all the
          That is the best possible way in my opinion..

Or instead minus, you can try outer join..

Edited by: jeneesh on Dec 19, 2012 9:28 PM
          • 2. Re: produce a range of numbers with select from the gaps of ID column
            Frank Kulash
            Hi,
            PuraVidaOTN wrote:
            (1)

Suppose I have a table t which has rows like this:

A B
            ---------- ----------
            2 4
            6 7

for each row, like this:

select ... from t ...

See the answer to (2) below. The sub-query got_n is just generating a "table" like the one above. If you already have such a table, use it instead of got_n.
            (2)

See note at the end.

For example, I have ID column which has

I would like to get a select query that produces

select ...

Post your code. It's hard to say what you're doing wrong when we don't know what you're doing.
            PS: Before I post to this group, I did research already on "connect by", with recursive queries.
            Here's one way:
            WITH     got_n     AS
            (
                 SELECT  id
                 ,     LEAD (id) OVER (ORDER BY id)
                          - id       AS n
                 FROM    table_x
            )
            ,     cntr     AS
            (
                 SELECT     LEVEL     AS n
                 FROM     (
                           SELECT  MAX (n)     AS max_n
                           FROM     got_n
                      )
                 CONNECT BY     LEVEL     <= max_n
            )
            SELECT    g.id + c.n     AS missing_id
            FROM       got_n  g
            JOIN       cntr      c  ON  c.n  <= g.n
            WHERE       g.n      > 1
            ORDER BY  missing_id
            ;
            If you'd care to post CREATE TABLE and INSERT statements for your smaple data, and the results you want from that data, then I could test this.

Edited by: Frank Kulash on Dec 19, 2012 11:02 AM

I'm not sure what you mean by "get lowest <N> available numbers ".
            I think you're saying that there may be millions of missing numbers, but you only want a given number, say 1000, of them (the lowest 1000). If that's what you want, then the query above can be modified like this:
            VARIABLE  new_id_cnt     NUMBER
            EXEC     :new_id_cnt := 1000;

WITH     got_n     AS
            (
                 SELECT  id
                 ,     LEAD (id) OVER (ORDER BY id)
                          - id       AS n
                 FROM    table_x
            )
            ,     cntr     AS
            (
                 SELECT     LEVEL     AS n
                 FROM     (
                           SELECT  MAX (n)     AS max_n
                           FROM     got_n
                      )
                 CONNECT BY     LEVEL     <= LEAST (max_n, :new_id_cnt)
            )
            ,     got_r_num     AS
            (
                 SELECT    g.id + c.n     AS missing_id
                 FROM       got_n  g
                 JOIN       cntr      c  ON  c.n  <= g.n
                 WHERE       g.n      > 1
                 ORDER BY  missing_id
            )
            SELECT     missing_id
            FROM     got_r_num
            WHERE     ROWNUM     <= :new_id_cnt
            ;
            • 3. Re: produce a range of numbers with select from the gaps of ID column
              PuraVidaOTN
              First of all, I would like to thank jeneesh and Frank for helpful and correct reply. However, due to the a bug of this forum,
              when I mark jeneesh's reply as correct, I cannot mark Frank's reply as correct anymore. Therefore I would like to formally
              state here that I have tested both solutions and they are both correct. jeneesh and Frank use different approach, connect by
              and less join ( <=, I do not know what is the proper name for it ).

Secondly I would like to report my small findings: use connect by, you control the level from 1 to the max number, so you
              do not need to use order by, and the performance is better (0.37 seconds version 0.92 seconds). And also it performs better
              if I use an intermediate view to limit the result sets. One line of code is worth one thousand words, now I am posting two
              versions of the code and highlighted the points I mentioned here.

I am sorry that either I do not know how to format the code or I do not have the capability when posting on this forum.
              The code listing does not look good, but I hope you get the idea. I have "plain text" and I am not if I can use fixed width font
              and preserve space. After I used the spelling checker, it becomes double spaced and I have to manually delete the blank lines.
              /* I learned about { code } after the post and edited the original post */

Thanks again to both jeneesh and Frank.

"connect by" version:
              SQL> VARIABLE  new_id_cnt NUMBER
              SQL> EXEC        :new_id_cnt := 10;

PL/SQL procedure successfully completed.
              Elapsed: 00:00:00.00

SQL> WITH my_table AS
                2  (
                3     SELECT num
                4     FROM   prs_elm
                5     WHERE  1=1
                6  )
                7  ,       my_num   AS
                8  (
                9  SELECT num, ct
               10  FROM   (
               11                    SELECT num AS num, LEAD(num) OVER (ORDER BY num) - num - 1 AS ct
               12                    FROM   ( SELECT 0 AS num
               13                             FROM   DUAL
               14                             UNION ALL
               15                             SELECT num
               16                             FROM   my_table
               17                             UNION ALL
               18                             SELECT ( MAX(num) + :new_id_cnt + 1 ) AS num
               19                             FROM   my_table
               20                    )
               21          )
               22  WHERE      ct >= 1
               23  AND         ROWNUM <= :new_id_cnt
               24  )
               25  SELECT     num + level AS available_id
               26  FROM       my_num
               27  WHERE      ROWNUM  <= :new_id_cnt
               28  CONNECT BY level <= ct
               29  AND        prior num = num
               30  AND        prior sys_guid() is not null
               31  ;

AVAILABLE_ID
              ------------

10 rows selected.
              Elapsed: 00:00:00.37
              "Less join" version:
              SQL> VARIABLE  new_id_cnt NUMBER
              SQL> EXEC        :new_id_cnt := 10;
              PL/SQL procedure successfully completed.

Elapsed: 00:00:00.00 

SQL> WITH my_table AS
                2  (
                3     SELECT num
                4     FROM   prs_elm
                5     WHERE  1=1
                6  )
                7  ,       my_num   AS
                8  (
                9                    SELECT num AS num, LEAD(num) OVER (ORDER BY num) - num - 1 AS ct
               10                    FROM   ( SELECT 0 AS num
               11                             FROM   DUAL
               12                             UNION ALL
               13                             SELECT num
               14                             FROM   my_table
               15                             UNION ALL
               16                             SELECT ( MAX(num) + :new_id_cnt + 1 ) AS num
               17                             FROM   my_table
               18                    )
               19  )
               20  ,       my_cnt    AS
               21  (
               22          SELECT  LEVEL AS ct
               23          FROM    DUAL
               24          CONNECT BY    LEVEL <= :new_id_cnt
               25  )
               26  SELECT     available_id
               27  FROM
               28  (
               29          SELECT    n.num + c.ct AS available_id
               30          FROM      my_num n
               31          JOIN      my_cnt c  ON c.ct <= n.ct
               32          WHERE     n.ct >= 1
               33          ORDER BY  available_id
               34  )
               35  WHERE      ROWNUM  <= :new_id_cnt
               36  ;

AVAILABLE_ID
              ------------

10 rows selected.
              Elapsed: 00:00:00.92
              PS: In Frank's code, there is a typo, <= should read as <.

Edited by: PuraVidaOTN on 04-feb-2013 22:49
              What: To use
               tags to format the code.

Edited by: PuraVidaOTN on 04-feb-2013 22:56                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            
              • 4. Re: produce a range of numbers with select from the gaps of ID column
                sb92075
                How do I ask a question on the forums?
                SQL and PL/SQL FAQ

scroll down #9 to learn how to use
                 tags!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
                • 5. Re: produce a range of numbers with select from the gaps of ID column
                  Frank Kulash
                  Hi,
                  PuraVidaOTN wrote:
                  First of all, I would like to thank jeneesh and Frank for helpful and correct reply. However, due to the a bug of this forum,
                  when I mark jeneesh's reply as correct, I cannot mark Frank's reply as correct anymore.
                  That's how this forum is designed: you can only mark 1 reply as "Correct".
                  You did the right thing: if 2 (or more) replies are equally good, mark the 1st one a "Correct" and the other(s) as "Helpful".
                  I am sorry that either I do not know how to format the code or I do not have the capability when posting on this forum.
                  To post in a fixed-width font and keep this site from removing extra spaces, type these 6 characters

\
                  (small letters only, inside curly brackets) before and after each section of formatted text.
                  See the forum FAQ {message:id=9360002}