This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Dec 19, 2012 9:14 AM by Dude! RSS

Ralink RT5390 Does Not Work on the UEK Kernel

966897 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
We installed OL6.3 and Ubuntu 12.04 on a new Asus X45A notebook. It has a Ralink RT5390 wireless card. With Ubuntu, both wifi and video work flawlessly. However, the wifi driver (from elrepo) does not work for the the uek kernel (2.6.39). While the wifi driver works when boot into the RHEL kernel (2.6.32), it created an "even bigger problem" in that the video starts at about 1/10 from the left edge of the screen.

As a result, we can only boot into Ubuntu on this new notebook, but we would like to use the uek kernel. Any suggestion will be appreciated.
  • 1. Re: Ralink RT5390 Does Not Work on the UEK Kernel
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE
    What makes you think think that OL6 is not a Linux Enterprise server distro and suited as a desktop distro fror a notebook?
  • 2. Re: Ralink RT5390 Does Not Work on the UEK Kernel
    966897 Newbie
    Billy  Verreynne  wrote:
    What makes you think think that OL6 is not a Linux Enterprise server distro and suited as a desktop distro fror a notebook?
    There is no question that OL6 is a Linux Enterprise server, but my point is, for most notebooks (& for both RHEL and UEK kernels), it can also be a workable business desktop/notebook OS. It is snappy, runs the newest version of Firefox, Google Chrome, VirtualBox and LibreOffice very well, and does suspend/wake up competently (for most notebooks).

There are some problems with the new generation of UEFI/GPT based notebooks, but since I don't use Windows, for the time being, I can convert GPT to MBR and do away with these problems.

Also as I described, some new notebooks may have problems with the pre-Linux-3.0 RHEL kernel with regard to the video driver, but since the UEK-300 kernel is Linux-3.0 based it actually works better.
  • 3. Re: Ralink RT5390 Does Not Work on the UEK Kernel
    Dude! Guru
    Ubuntu's primary focus is on development and support for cutting edge technology found in Desktop, Laptop and mobile computing. Red Hat Enterprise Linux is designed for Enterprise grade hardware with strict support options to increase stability and to limit technical support conflicts. Support for Laptop systems require special mobile chip and power management support that is not needed for server systems.

If you want to run Oracle Linux on unsupported hardware I suggest to try Oracle VM VirtualBox or search the vendor support page or web for support of your specific hardware. It most likely means to disable or enable kernel features related to your video GPU and to compile the wireless driver from source code. Google will be a good start.
  • 4. Re: Ralink RT5390 Does Not Work on the UEK Kernel
    966897 Newbie
    Dude wrote: Support for Laptop systems require special mobile chip and power management support that is not needed for server systems.
    This is something I found very interesting, OL6 on my notebook actually is more power-efficient than both Ubuntu and Windows 7. Of course, it is not a trivial undertaking to set up an OL6 notebook.
  • 5. Re: Ralink RT5390 Does Not Work on the UEK Kernel
    Dude! Guru
    It wouldn't surprise me if was more power efficient because half your hardware, e.g. wireless apparently isn't working ;-) However, power management support means computer sleep and idle functions to slow down your computer's power consumption when it is not needed, e.g. down clock your CPU and slow down your hardware, dim your screen, etc. when running on battery, etc.
  • 6. Re: Ralink RT5390 Does Not Work on the UEK Kernel
    966897 Newbie
    Dude wrote:
    It wouldn't surprise me if was more power efficient because half your hardware, e.g. wireless apparently isn't working ;-)
    I have three notebooks running OL6. Wireless works on all three of them. (One of the notebooks its wireless has problem with the UEK kernel, but no problem with the RHEL kernel.)
    However, power management support means computer sleep and idle functions to slow down your computer's power
    consumption when it is not needed, e.g. down clock your CPU and slow down your hardware, dim your screen, etc.
    when running on battery, etc.
    This needs further verification, but all these functions seem to be working with OL6.

But again, please no one be fooled by my overly optimistic and simplistic comments*. The reality is, I am glad OL6 desktop works at all.

* For example, I actually installed OL6 on 4 notebooks, one of them "does not work" because I couldn't dim the screen. I did not intend to lie, but subconsciously, I somewhat forgot that there was this failed case.

Edited by: Ping-Wu on Dec 19, 2012 7:48 AM

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points