This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Dec 22, 2012 12:18 AM by 917875 RSS

Heartbeat failed to connect to standby Error is 1031

AG_DB Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I getting an error in LogTransportService
PING[ARC0]: Heartbeat failed to connect to standby . Error is 1031.

Kindly help me
  • 1. Re: Heartbeat failed to connect to standby Error is 1031
    CKPT Guru
    TrustreArun wrote:
    I getting an error in LogTransportService
    PING[ARC0]: Heartbeat failed to connect to standby . Error is 1031.
    What is your version?
    Are you using DataGuard Broker?
    From where you trying to connect- From primary to standby? You trying to connect with Oracle Net service or from the same server?
    Are you using correct password?

Lot of information missing from you, Please provide all the information.
    01031, 00000, "insufficient privileges"
    // *Cause: An attempt was made to change the current username or password
    //         without the appropriate privilege. This error also occurs if
    //         attempting to install a database without the necessary operating
    //         system privileges.
    //         When Trusted Oracle is configure in DBMS MAC, this error may occur
    //         if the user was granted the necessary privilege at a higher label
    //         than the current login.
    // *Action: Ask the database administrator to perform the operation or grant
    //          the required privileges.
    //          For Trusted Oracle users getting this error although granted the
    //          the appropriate privilege at a higher label, ask the database
    //          administrator to regrant the privilege at the appropriate label.
  • 2. Re: Heartbeat failed to connect to standby Error is 1031
    AG_DB Newbie
    DB Version: Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.1.0 - 64bit Production
    Not using data guard broker
    I checked V$dataguard _status from primary
    I didn't change my password , it was fine on last day
  • 3. Re: Heartbeat failed to connect to standby Error is 1031
    mseberg Guru
    Until you can do the following:

sqlplus sys/password@Standby as sysdba (from the primary system)

and

sqlplus sys/password@primary as sysdba (from the standby system)

You will not be able to ship redo.

Would also check

ORACLE_SID, SERVICE_NAME in listener.ora and tnsnames.ora make sure you don't have a CASE issue ( lower or upper)

Best Regards

mseberg
  • 4. Re: Heartbeat failed to connect to standby Error is 1031
    CKPT Guru
    TrustreArun wrote:
    DB Version: Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.1.0 - 64bit Production
    Not using data guard broker
    I checked V$dataguard _status from primary
    I didn't change my password , it was fine on last day
    Hope you trying to connect with "SYS" user,
    From primary database connect to the standby database as $sqlplus sys/****@standby as sysdba
    From standby database connect to the primary database as $sqlplus sys/****@primary as sysdba

If you are able to connect above both, then i dont think there is any issues, You can do troubleshoot as

From primary
    1) SQL> alter system set log_archive_dest_state_2='defer';
    2) SQL> alter system set log_archive_dest_state_2='enable';
    3) SQL> alter system switch logfile; -- You can do 2-3 or even more
    4) Now monitor the alert logs from primary and standby databases and post if any errors.

Also post
    SQL> select error_code, message,timestamp from v$dataguard_status where dest_id=2;
  • 5. Re: Heartbeat failed to connect to standby Error is 1031
    AG_DB Newbie
    details of v$dataguard_status

1,031     PING[ARC0]: Heartbeat failed to connect to standby 'STDBY'. Error is 1031.
    1,031     PING[ARC0]: Heartbeat failed to connect to standby 'STDBY'. Error is 1031.
  • 6. Re: Heartbeat failed to connect to standby Error is 1031
    CKPT Guru
    Have you read carefully in my previous posts what i have requested?
    I asked you to do some troubleshoot and to post logs, The information you provided is not sufficient to go ahead. Read Again....
  • 7. Re: Heartbeat failed to connect to standby Error is 1031
    917875 Newbie
    I have encountered similar issue before. the solutions provided above should work.

in my case, the password file (orapw{SID}) on standby was overwritten.
    I just copied the password file from primary to standby, renaming to correct filename. This resolved my issue. Log shipping has resumed.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points