This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 21, 2012 5:03 AM by Srini Chavali-Oracle RSS

Migartion issue during 10.2.0.5.0 to 11.2.0.3.0

981008 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

We have migrated few schemas from 10.2.0.5.0 to 11.2.0.3.0 using datapump. As a first step we have run the CSSCAN in source against WE8MSWIN1252 characterset. As per the report we have identified three tables has the chance of data lossy in varchar2 and long datatype.

So we have modified the VARCHAR2 to NVARCHAR2 and LONG to NCLOB in target table metadata and imported the data due to similar NLS_NCHAR. As part of data validation i have to make sure that the data between source and target should be same.

But i can't showcase by record count/minus or taking data in a file. This is a firm database where we can't change the character set as source.

How would i make sure the data is similar between source and target ?

Our Source Characterset are below:

NLS_CHARACTERSET UTF8
NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET AL16UTF16

Our Target Characterset are below:

NLS_CHARACTERSET WE8MSWIN1252
NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET AL16UTF16

Any suggestion would be helpful as i am in the mid of my migration.

Thanks
Mani
  • 1. Re: Migartion issue during 10.2.0.5.0 to 11.2.0.3.0
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director
    Pl elaborate/clarify on what you are trying to achieve. If the source database contains characters that cannot be represented in WE8MSWIN1252, you are going to end up with missing/corrupted/incomplete data in the target. Why cannot the target database characterset be set to AL32UTF8 ?

Oracle does not recommend the use of the "N" datatypes.

HTH
    Srini
  • 2. Re: Migartion issue during 10.2.0.5.0 to 11.2.0.3.0
    981008 Newbie
    Thanks Srini,

We were changed varchar2 to Nvarchar and long to NCLOB on mismatched columns and load the data. After the data load we have manually compared the data between source and target by csv comparision through beyond compare, there is no mismatch identified.

Here the actual requirment is we need some proper comparision method to proof the customer there is no mismatch on the mismatch tables between source and target.

Now the source(VARCHAR2) and target (NVARCHAR2) has different datatype. We need a data comparision methods which will support different datatype and differen characterset. Please let me know if you have and idea on this.

We can't modified the character set to AL32UTF8, because the target is form database, we are import our schemas into the forms. If we change the character set it will affect other application schemas which is running in the same database.

Regards,
    Mani
  • 3. Re: Migartion issue during 10.2.0.5.0 to 11.2.0.3.0
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director
    978005 wrote:
    Thanks Srini,

We were changed varchar2 to Nvarchar and long to NCLOB on mismatched columns and load the data. After the data load we have manually compared the data between source and target by csv comparision through beyond compare, there is no mismatch identified.
    Pl detail how exactly you "changed varchar2 to Nvarchar and long to NCLOB on mismatched columns and load the data".

>
    Here the actual requirment is we need some proper comparision method to proof the customer there is no mismatch on the mismatch tables between source and target.

Now the source(VARCHAR2) and target (NVARCHAR2) has different datatype. We need a data comparision methods which will support different datatype and differen characterset. Please let me know if you have and idea on this.
    As far as I know, you cannot compare data between two datatypes, just like you cannot compare apples to oranges.
    We can't modified the character set to AL32UTF8, because the target is form database, we are import our schemas into the forms. If we change the character set it will affect other application schemas which is running in the same database.
    Pl detail out exactly why AL32UTF8 cannot be used - have you actually tried it ? What errors do you get ?
    Regards,
    Mani
    HTH
    Srini

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points