This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 20, 2012 4:01 AM by EJP RSS

What is Asynchronous call?

800839 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

What is asynchronous? When we say AJAX is asynchronous, it doesn't wait for te server response and will reload only the particular part of the page
with the server response content immediately rather tan reloading the whole page.I have doubt here, if AJAX calls not does not wait for the server response
how can it fetch the server data to be displayed in the view?
Whether that will be stored in an AJAX engine which acts as an interface between user browser and the server?
Which does have its own internal cache to cache the server response from where the details will be served back to the user?
Please clarify.Any example with asynchronous and synchronous are highly appreciated.

Thanks.
  • 1. Re: What is Asynchronous call?
    800839 Newbie
    Guys any update? I know that this is a Java forum. But you guys can help me in this. Please clarify.
  • 2. Re: What is Asynchronous call?
    Kayaman Guru
    797836 wrote:
    I have doubt here, if AJAX calls not does not wait for the server response
    It does. But the whole rest of the page has been served previously, so you don't need to wait for all the content to be available to see the page in the first place.
  • 3. Re: What is Asynchronous call?
    EJP Guru
    When we say AJAX is asynchronous
    It seems to me that when we say 'AJAX is asynchronous' we are just misusing standard terminology. It isn't asynchronous at all. It engages in a request/response protocol. What it is is partial: it doesn't have to submit the entire form, and it doesn't have to process the entire page as a response; it can also pipeline, i.e. submit several requests before it processes any responses. None of this satisfies any definition of 'asynchronous' that I'm aware of.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points