This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Dec 26, 2012 6:05 PM by 981086 RSS

Storagetek 2530 configuration problem

981086 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I recently picked up 3 storagetek 2530's (with 12x 72gb's each), 12 300gb SAS, 12 400gb SAS, 12 1TB (SATA), plus controllers, and a serial cable. The units are attached to a server and I can see the array drives. The units are currently configured with some old 72gb drives.

The problem is I don't know the management IP nor password, and I've followed the docs on how to try to reset the ip using the serial cable. I was able to connect once momentarily a few weeks back but have yet to be able to reconnect (afer multiple power up attempts). I'm not ruling out a bad serial cable, but I'm skeptical about buy a new one with how some people are metioned there are ones with incorrect pinouts, so I don't even know which one I would replace it with (or what the best place to get it at would be).

What I need to know is:

1) Is there a way to factory reset these guys? I don't care about what's on them now, but I don't want to spend hours clearing configurations.
2) How exactly do you connect with the serial cable? I've tried using putty, but the questions is what are the proper key sequence to hit when I need to break AND when should I be doing this? Do I have to wait for the array to be complete up? Is it like a PC where you need to do it before a certain event? I'm just clear if I'm doing it right at all.

If I recall correctly, when I got it to work weeks again I was playing with the flow control and "None" didn't work and I had to change it, even though the document said None.

After I resolve the first two issues, I'd also like to know if I can daisy chain these directly or is there a different module that you need for the 2nd and 3rd arrays? I'd like two of these arrays on one computer, and the 3rd on another. This is probably less imporant but I figured I'd ask.

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated
  • 1. Re: Storagetek 2530 configuration problem
    Nik Expert
    Hi.

What cable you use for serial connection? Originaly it's special cable: PS/2 - RJ45 plus –°onverter RJ-45 - DB9.

Can you say P/N of him ?
    Correct cables:

530-3544 - PS 2 6-pin DIN to RJ-45 Cable (2M)
    530-3813 - DB9F to RJ45F

530-3100 - DB9F to RJ45F - Wrong ( Require additional null-modem cable)

For send Break from Putty use key sequence: Ctrl-Break.

Regards.
  • 2. Re: Storagetek 2530 configuration problem
    Nicolas Wipfli - Oracle Expert
    user3962893 wrote:
    I recently picked up 3 storagetek 2530's (with 12x 72gb's each), 12 300gb SAS, 12 400gb SAS, 12 1TB (SATA), plus controllers, and a serial cable. The units are attached to a server and I can see the array drives. The units are currently configured with some old 72gb drives.

The problem is I don't know the management IP nor password, and I've followed the docs on how to try to reset the ip using the serial cable. I was able to connect once momentarily a few weeks back but have yet to be able to reconnect (afer multiple power up attempts). I'm not ruling out a bad serial cable, but I'm skeptical about buy a new one with how some people are metioned there are ones with incorrect pinouts, so I don't even know which one I would replace it with (or what the best place to get it at would be).

What I need to know is:

1) Is there a way to factory reset these guys?
    Doing a factory reset using the serial port requires a special password which is Oracle confidential and used only by Oracle authorized engineers.
    On your side what you have to do is to register the array in CAM and then use CAM to reset the array configuration.
    I don't care about what's on them now, but I don't want to spend hours clearing configurations.
    2) How exactly do you connect with the serial cable?
    Please follow the instructions in the document http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19508-01/820-0015-14/820-0015-14.pdf chapter "To Connect a Terminal to the Serial Port" page 91.
    I've tried using putty, but the questions is what are the proper key sequence to hit when I need to break AND when should I be doing this? Do I have to wait for the array to be complete up? Is it like a PC where you need to do it before a certain event? I'm just clear if I'm doing it right at all.
    Please follow the instructions in the document http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19508-01/820-0015-14/820-0015-14.pdf chapter "To Establish a Connection With the Serial Port" page 93.

If you want to reset the array password, enter the Service Interface Menu (see page 94 for an example) and select "Reset Storage Array (SYMbol) Password".

>
    If I recall correctly, when I got it to work weeks again I was playing with the flow control and "None" didn't work and I had to change it, even though the document said None.

After I resolve the first two issues, I'd also like to know if I can daisy chain these directly or is there a different module that you need for the 2nd and 3rd arrays? I'd like two of these arrays on one computer, and the 3rd on another. This is probably less imporant but I figured I'd ask.
    You cannot daisy chain 2530 controller trays. However you can attach expansion trays to a 2530 controller tray. The expansion trays do not contain controllers, they contain IO Module (IOM).

Regards
    Nicolas

>
    Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated
  • 3. Re: Storagetek 2530 configuration problem
    981086 Newbie
    I have a cable that has the PS/2 style connector and a RJ45F on the other end, and the I have the RJ45F to 9pin serial on that. As I mentioned, the cable did work once but it's pretty bittle and I'm not ruling out cable damage.

So if the 530-3544 is the correct cable, and the 530-3813 is the correct adapter, I'll order an additional set.

As for the control break, I was assuming so. I believe the original documentation said send the reset key, which I interprited to be control break. I'll see what I can find for these parts and order them to rule out the cable.
  • 4. Re: Storagetek 2530 configuration problem
    981086 Newbie
    nwi,

Not sure how to reply to a specific message here.

I have review that document as well as a few others. I'll try again after getting a different cable.

The only question I have, that I can't find an answer to is when am I able to send the control break sequence? Can I just start the unit up for 5 minute, attach the cable, and try, or do I need to do it after a powerdown/power up cycle? Should I be using the PS/2 connection on the left or right controller, etc... I just don't know enough about this and I'm trying to learn everything I can before I really start using it. Also, while I'm troubleshooting this, is it advisable to leave both controller cards in or should I remove one to simplify the troubleshooting.

As for the daisy chain, it's not a problem. I have multiple pass through cards and I will just add a second card to that box. I just did't know if you could daisy chain them that way.
  • 5. Re: Storagetek 2530 configuration problem
    Nik Expert
    Hi.
    You can connect to controller via serial cable at any time. Power Cycles not required.
    Both controllers should be installed.

For send break - press CTRL-Break.

Regards.
  • 6. Re: Storagetek 2530 configuration problem
    Nicolas Wipfli - Oracle Expert
    GarySmithPXT wrote:
    nwi,

Not sure how to reply to a specific message here.

I have review that document as well as a few others. I'll try again after getting a different cable.

The only question I have, that I can't find an answer to is when am I able to send the control break sequence?
    You can send the breaks at any time while the controllers are powered ON.
    Can I just start the unit up for 5 minute, attach the cable, and try, or do I need to do it after a powerdown/power up cycle? Should I be using the PS/2 connection on the left or right controller, etc... I just don't know enough about this and I'm trying to learn everything I can before I really start using it. Also, while I'm troubleshooting this, is it advisable to leave both controller cards in or should I remove one to simplify the troubleshooting.
    There are situations in advanced troubleshooting when we pull one controller. However in your situation you should leave both controllers inserted.

Regards
    Nicolas

>
    As for the daisy chain, it's not a problem. I have multiple pass through cards and I will just add a second card to that box. I just did't know if you could daisy chain them that way.
  • 7. Re: Storagetek 2530 configuration problem
    981086 Newbie
    I'd like to say thanks for all of the help guys. I did a little more research and I guess the RJ45 <=> DBE9 adapter with the model number 530-3100-01 07/38 has a set of batches that were wired in such a way that required a null modem cable. Armed with that information, I found one of the old cisco ones and I was able to use that to connect. I now get to the menu to reset the IP and password just fine.

I do have another question though. When I connection, regarless of what client (teraterm/putty) I get a lot of random garbage on the console, until I get the menu, then sometimes hitting a key generates some additional garbage. This didn't impact me changing the config, which is now done. Is this normal or is it indicitive of some type of bad cable? Would lowering the buad rate after connect help, or should I just ignore?

BTW, I did manage to find a null modem adapter in my box of cables, and I'm thinking I might have used that in the past because I can't fathom why I would have bought a 9 pin null modem adapter from radioshack in the last 10 years...

Edited by: GarySmithPXT on Dec 26, 2012 6:05 PM

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points