This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 2, 2013 1:38 AM by heng RSS

HOW TO USE LOCAL ORACLE VM SERVER FOR STORAGE

773757 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi ,
In oracle Vm 2.1.1 we can use the oracle Vm server as local storage to create virtual machines and maintain them.I newly installed new oracleVm sever 3.1.1 in which i am unable create server pool in local disk of oracle vm server.Is it possbile to create server pool in oracle Vm 3.1.1 using local storage.If yes please advice me how to create.

Thanks
Chow

Edited by: user12875387 on Dec 21, 2012 5:26 PM
  • 1. Re: HOW TO USE LOCAL ORACLE VM SERVER FOR STORAGE
    user12273962 Pro
    There are plenty discussion about this in the forum. Just do a search.

Long story short... you can't just use the free space on the system disk for anything other than the VM server itself.

I don't know why you are talking about server pools. Server pools serve not purpose unless they are on shared storage. The only exception is non clustered server pools. A non-clustered server pool requires no storage space. I think your talking about storage repositories. In such a case.... you must have a raw Disk/LUN To create a storage repo. The only exception is creating storage repos on NFS mounts.
  • 2. Re: HOW TO USE LOCAL ORACLE VM SERVER FOR STORAGE
    heng Explorer
    I used to configure the local storage many times with Oracle VM 3.1.1 and working fine. You must separate disks (have at least 2 hard disks or 2 groups of Hard Disk Array) one for VM Server OS and one for Local Storage.

Good luck & regards,
    Vandy
  • 3. Re: HOW TO USE LOCAL ORACLE VM SERVER FOR STORAGE
    773757 Newbie
    Hi,
    As per your suggestions i installed oracle vm server on /dev/sda .Now i have a 1500 free space on /dev/sdb i want to use this as local storage .Is it possible?If yes how can i use /dev/sdb as storage area.

Than\ks
    chow
  • 4. Re: HOW TO USE LOCAL ORACLE VM SERVER FOR STORAGE
    heng Explorer
    Please make sure you have 2 hard disks are /dev/sda for OS and /dev/sdb for Local Storage. During installation, pls leave one disk and after installation you will see /dev/sdb dom-0 for local storage.

Good luck,
    Vandy

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points