5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 23, 2012 10:46 AM by LaserSoft RSS

Migration from Oracle 10.2.0.3 (Solaris) to 11.2.0.3 (Linux)

user491696
      I have to migrate and upgrade database from Oracle 10.2.0.3 (Solaris) to 11.2.0.3 (Linux). I know I can use datapump and TTS to migrate data. My steps would be Install oracle 11.2.0.3 binaries on Linux box and create the database with same name on Solaris box and imp the data. My question is If I import the data from 10.2 DB, Will I face any issue or any problem besides invalid objects ?????? Or can you give brief steps.???? Any help will be appreciated ..
      Thanks
        • 1. Re: Migration from Oracle 10.2.0.3 (Solaris) to 11.2.0.3 (Linux)
          moreajays
          Hi,

There should not be any issues while importing the export dump of 10g , but make sure compatibility of 10g is set to 10.2 or higher in both source/destination .

Also Use Data Pump for such export / import

You need to resolve the external references like DB Link , external table etc. which may cause valid/invalid object count mismatch when compared with source

Thanks,
          Ajay More
          http://moreajays.blogspot.com
          • 2. Re: Migration from Oracle 10.2.0.3 (Solaris) to 11.2.0.3 (Linux)
            Srini Chavali-Oracle
            Should be no issues in general. Only testing this process will reveal any issues specific to your site.

Pl follow the steps in the Upgrade Doc - http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e23633/expimp.htm#i262220

I would recommend that you apply the latest PSU on top of 11.2.0.3 also

Quick Reference to RDBMS Database Patchset Patch Numbers [ID 753736.1]

HTH
            Srini
            • 3. Re: Migration from Oracle 10.2.0.3 (Solaris) to 11.2.0.3 (Linux)
              LaserSoft
              Hi Friend

Five Methods..

1) Database Upgrade Assistant (DBUA)
              2) Manual Upgrade
              3) Export/Import
              4) Data Copying
              5) Golden Gate

Note 1 : Export/Import works for all versions. But for 10g and above, DataPump or Transportable Table Spaces methods are better.

Note 2 : you may need to perform additional pre-upgrade steps (adjust the parameter file for the upgrade, remove obsolete initialization parameters and adjust initialization parameters that might cause upgrade problems).

Thanks
              LaserSoft
              • 4. Re: Migration from Oracle 10.2.0.3 (Solaris) to 11.2.0.3 (Linux)
                Srini Chavali-Oracle
                LaserSoft wrote:
                Hi Friend

Five Methods..

1) Database Upgrade Assistant (DBUA)
                2) Manual Upgrade
                DBUA and manual upgrade scripts can only be used when there is no platform change. If a platform change is included, the data will have to be moved across OS versions using one of the 3 methods below.
                3) Export/Import
                4) Data Copying
                5) Golden Gate

Note 1 : Export/Import works for all versions. But for 10g and above, DataPump or Transportable Table Spaces methods are better.

Note 2 : you may need to perform additional pre-upgrade steps (adjust the parameter file for the upgrade, remove obsolete initialization parameters and adjust initialization parameters that might cause upgrade problems).

Thanks
                LaserSoft
                HTH
                Srini
                • 5. Re: Migration from Oracle 10.2.0.3 (Solaris) to 11.2.0.3 (Linux)
                  LaserSoft
                  Hi Srini,

Thanks for your message.

I have specified available methods for all.

Thanks
                  LaserSoft