Nuenhundretfunfundsiebzig Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
attempting to Oracle Application Express Listener in standalone mode
the manual says

Execute the following command:
java –jar <temp directory>\apex.war
Where <temp directory> is the directory location of the unzipped Oracle
Application Express Listener.
3. When prompted, specify the location of the folder containing the static resources
used by Oracle Application Express.
4. When prompted, choose a user name and password for the Oracle Application
Express Listener Administrator and Manager roles

When I execute this command, I never get prompted to enter anything
the command runs and displays

HTTP://LOCALHOST:8080/APEX      has been started

I found this online
"C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_10\bin\java" –jar -Dapex.images=[apex home]/images [appex listener home]\apex.war
-When prompted, specify the location of the folder containing the static resources used by Oracle Application Express

again I never get prompted to enter anything it displays the same

the documentation then says
You default Web browser starts and navigates to:
http://<host>:<port>/apex/listenerConfigure

the browser doesn't start,
I can enter this URL but dont know what user ID is it looking for? Admin? APEX_PUBLIC_USER? APEX_LISTENER? an individual user
Tried them all, invalid login/ password messages for all
stop apex, reset all passwords, same messages

did it a 3rd time
when I do java –jar <temp directory>\apex.war now it says
using JDBC driver

not when I try to go to http://<host>:<port>/apex/listenerConfigure
I get a message: The APEX Listener is already configured. Please login as Administrator to access APEX Listener Administration

Not sure how this happened, I never configured it

but then I try to go to http://<host>:<port>/apex/listenerAdmin I have the same problem? which log in ID? which password. Tried them all, reset them all and tried
again but still cant get in
  • 1. Re: INSALLING APEX LISTENER IN STANDALONE MODE ON WINDOWS
    Prabodh Guru
    Which version of ApexListener are you trying to run? It is not clear as you seem to trying out some steps of 1.1.x and some of 2.0EA
    attempting to Oracle Application Express Listener in standalone mode
    the manual says

Execute the following command:
    java –jar <temp directory>\apex.war
    Where <temp directory> is the directory location of the unzipped Oracle
    Application Express Listener.
    3. When prompted, specify the location of the folder containing the static resources
    used by Oracle Application Express.
    4. When prompted, choose a user name and password for the Oracle Application
    Express Listener Administrator and Manager roles

When I execute this command, I never get prompted to enter anything
    the command runs and displays
    >
    These steps are for 2.0EA.
    What this could mean is that there was an attempt to configure ApexListener and it is trying to read an existing configuration file at startup. It should show the location of the file that it is trying to read/ or is reading. Look for the file location message and delete the file if you want to reconfigure APexListener.
    >
    HTTP://LOCALHOST:8080/APEX has been started

I found this online

"C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_10\bin\java" –jar -Dapex.images=[apex home]/images [appex listener home]\apex.war
    -When prompted, specify the location of the folder containing the static resources used by Oracle Application Express

again I never get prompted to enter anything it displays the same

the documentation then says
    You default Web browser starts and navigates to:
    http://<host>:<port>/apex/listenerConfigure
    >
    Some mix up here. The apex/listenerConfigure URL is for ApexListener 1.1.x versions. Not for 2.0EA
    >
    the browser doesn't start,
    I can enter this URL but dont know what user ID is it looking for? Admin? APEX_PUBLIC_USER? APEX_LISTENER? an individual user
    >
    The APEX_LISTENER user comes into picture only for 2.0EA , not in 1.1.x.
    >
    Tried them all, invalid login/ password messages for all
    stop apex, reset all passwords, same messages

did it a 3rd time
    when I do java –jar <temp directory>\apex.war now it says
    using JDBC driver

not when I try to go to http://<host>:<port>/apex/listenerConfigure
    I get a message: The APEX Listener is already configured. Please login as Administrator to access APEX Listener Administration

Not sure how this happened, I never configured it

but then I try to go to http://<host>:<port>/apex/listenerAdmin I have the same problem? which log in ID? which password. Tried them all, reset them all and tried
    again but still cant get in
  • 2. Re: INSALLING APEX LISTENER IN STANDALONE MODE ON WINDOWS
    "Some mix up here. The apex/listenerConfigure URL is for ApexListener 1.1.x versions. Not for 2.0EA"

Actually everything I'm looking at is 1.1.4

The PDF installation guide I downloaded and saved is
    Oracle® Application Express Listener
    Installation and Developer Guide
    Release 1.1
    E21058-01
    February 2011

The file I downloaded is
    apex_listener.1.1.4.195.00.12.zip

the version 2.0 documentation says released Dec 19 2012

in any case, I deleted the apex listener folder and dowloaded 1.1.4 again
    I also renamed the apex_config.xml and credentials files found in ->C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp\apex

This time when I did java -jar C:\apexListener\apex.war
    it did actually prompted me for apex listener administrator and apex listener manager passwords and then it open the Apex Listener Config URL, None of this happened automatically before.

The apex listener configuration screen has a data base connection link. It defaults to APEX_PUBLIC USER but wouldn't accept the password for APEX_PUBLIC_USER. Its a TNS connection and the onlly connection information it took was the log in information for one of the databases on the TNSNAMES file

Question Number 1 is - how is this going to work? There are multiple oracle databases, but this apex listener configuration URL only accepts connection information for one of them

Then I went into apex listener administration, it doesnt let me change connection information so I didn't do anything here

when I do java –jar C:\apex_listener\apex.war it says http://localhost:8080/apex is started
    Not clear if the url is reall y'localhost' , I assume the url needs the real host name but tried both and could not log in
    I tried logging in to http://localhost:8080/apex/apex_admin as well as http://"real host name":8080/apex/apex_admin but couldnt log in

I stopped everything , went into SQLPLUS and did @apxpwchg and changed the admin password and started up again but still can't log in,

When I look at the apex_config.xml and credentials files , the information general in Apex Listener Config is wrong or missing
    for instance, <entry key="apex.db.hostname"></entry> host name is blank
    <entry key="apex.db.port"></entry> has the wrong port name
    <entry key="apex.db.servicename"></entry> service name is blank

I tried editing some of these manually ( although I'm not sure where servicename comes from) but still couldnt log in as apex_admin
    so I changed the config file back. I assume I cant log in as a user until I the admin password sets up a work space

I appreciate your feedback
  • 3. Re: INSALLING APEX LISTENER IN STANDALONE MODE ON WINDOWS
    Prabodh Guru
    Hi,
    "Some mix up here. The apex/listenerConfigure URL is for ApexListener 1.1.x versions. Not for 2.0EA"
    Actually everything I'm looking at is 1.1.4

The PDF installation guide I downloaded and saved is
    Oracle® Application Express Listener
    Installation and Developer Guide
    Release 1.1
    E21058-01
    February 2011

The file I downloaded is
    apex_listener.1.1.4.195.00.12.zip

the version 2.0 documentation says released Dec 19 2012

in any case, I deleted the apex listener folder and dowloaded 1.1.4 again
    I also renamed the apex_config.xml and credentials files found in ->C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp\apex
    >
    When you rename the apex_conf.xml file you loose your earlier settings. See About the Configuration File > Locating the Configuration File section of the documentation. You should pin the location of the apex_conf.xml file.
    >

This time when I did java -jar C:\apexListener\apex.war
    it did actually prompted me for apex listener administrator and apex listener manager passwords and then it open the Apex Listener Config URL, None of this happened automatically before.

The apex listener configuration screen has a data base connection link. It defaults to APEX_PUBLIC USER but wouldn't accept the password for APEX_PUBLIC_USER. Its a TNS connection and the onlly connection information it took was the log in information for one of the databases on the TNSNAMES file

Question Number 1 is - how is this going to work? There are multiple oracle databases, but this apex listener configuration URL only accepts connection information for one of them
    >
    ApexListener 1.1.x works with one and only one database. 2.0EA supports multiple databases with each database having its own URL suffix.
    In ApexListener 1.1.x you need run multiple ApexListener instances , one for each db.
    >
    Then I went into apex listener administration, it doesnt let me change connection information so I didn't do anything here

when I do java –jar C:\apex_listener\apex.war it says http://localhost:8080/apex is started
    Not clear if the url is reall y'localhost' , I assume the url needs the real host name but tried both and could not log in
    I tried logging in to http://localhost:8080/apex/apex_admin as well as http://"real host name":8080/apex/apex_admin but couldnt log in
    >
    If setup is correct localhost will work on the machine on which ApexListener is running. From other machines you need to use IP address or hostname.
    >
    I stopped everything , went into SQLPLUS and did @apxpwchg and changed the admin password and started up again but still can't log in,
    >
    That only sets the Internal/Admin password.
    >
    When I look at the apex_config.xml and credentials files , the information general in Apex Listener Config is wrong or missing
    for instance, <entry key="apex.db.hostname"></entry> host name is blank
    <entry key="apex.db.port"></entry> has the wrong port name
    <entry key="apex.db.servicename"></entry> service name is blank
    >
    The setup is not right. You need to specify the db host name/ip, port(default 1521) and service name/SID of the database.
    You set these parameters when you configure using apex/listenerConfigure. Run this again after
    a. Pinning the location in web.xml
    b. Staring apexlistener after pinning the location.
    >
    I tried editing some of these manually ( although I'm not sure where servicename comes from) but still couldnt log in as apex_admin
    so I changed the config file back. I assume I cant log in as a user until I the admin password sets up a work space>
    Cheers
  • 4. Re: INSALLING APEX LISTENER IN STANDALONE MODE ON WINDOWS
    my inclination is to uninstall and start again
    Oracle 11 g 2 r has APEX included

I see blogs that say install Oracle 11 g 2 r , go to the directory where the Apex that comes with Oracle is insalled and do the configuration there; ie
    use Apex that comes with Oracle 11

But when I look at the Oracle documentation it says install Oracle , then download and install Applicatiion Express; a 2nd copy of Apex

Follow the steps in this scenario if you are downloading Oracle Application Express from Oracle Technology Network (OTN) and configuring the Oracle Application Express Listener. Required installation steps in this scenario include:

•Step 1: Install the Oracle Database and Complete Pre-installation Tasks

•Step 2: Download and Install Oracle Application Express

Follow the steps in this scenario if you are downloading Oracle Application Express from Oracle Technology Network (OTN) and configuring the embedded PL/SQL gateway. Required installation steps in this scenario include:

Also
    I need to configure a TNS connection to point to a database entry on my TNSNAMES file
    I see how to do this in the Apex Listener documentation
    I dont see any reference to this in embedded PL/SQL gateway
  • 5. Re: INSALLING APEX LISTENER IN STANDALONE MODE ON WINDOWS
    Prabodh Guru
    *975204* ,

What you ask now has nothing to do with your OP.
    And how about getting yourself a better handle? 975204 is not very friendly, is it?
    my inclination is to uninstall and start again
    Oracle 11 g 2 r has APEX included

I see blogs that say install Oracle 11 g 2 r , go to the directory where the Apex that comes with Oracle is insalled and do the configuration there; ie
    use Apex that comes with Oracle 11
    >
    Depends on which edition of 11gr2 you install and how.
    11gR2 comes with Apex but it is usually not the latest release. So, to get the latest release you have to download and install the latest release.
    >
    But when I look at the Oracle documentation it says install Oracle , then download and install Applicatiion Express; a 2nd copy of Apex
    >
    A release installed overwrites the older existing release, so finally there is only one Apex on the instance.
    >

Follow the steps in this scenario if you are downloading Oracle Application Express from Oracle Technology Network (OTN) and configuring the Oracle Application Express Listener. Required installation steps in this scenario include:

Follow the steps in this scenario if you are downloading Oracle Application Express from Oracle Technology Network (OTN) and configuring the embedded PL/SQL gateway. Required installation steps in this scenario include:

Also
    I need to configure a TNS connection to point to a database entry on my TNSNAMES file
    Post TNS query in {forum:id=64}
    I see how to do this in the Apex Listener documentation
    Surprised. ApexListener uses JDBC, not TNSNAMES.ora
    I dont see any reference to this in embedded PL/SQL gateway>
    Where did you look? EPG is in XDB, it is installed with the DBMS. Configuration of EPG is part of Apex installation.

Cheers,
  • 6. Re: INSALLING APEX LISTENER IN STANDALONE MODE ON WINDOWS
    ApexListener uses JDBC, not TNSNAMES.ora

Apex Listener has an option to configure a TNS database connection using TNSNAMES,ora
    its on 2-3 of the listener installation guide

I see reference to the EPG configuration in Apex installation but just a simple
    3.Run apex_epg_config.sql passing the file system path to the base directory where the Oracle Application Express software was unzipped

The only reference I see to TNSNAMES anywhere in Apex installation is in the Listener documentation
  • 7. Re: INSALLING APEX LISTENER IN STANDALONE MODE ON WINDOWS
    Prabodh Guru
    ApexListener uses JDBC, not TNSNAMES.ora
    Apex Listener has an option to configure a TNS database connection using TNSNAMES,ora
    its on 2-3 of the listener installation guide

I see reference to the EPG configuration in Apex installation but just a simple
    3.Run apex_epg_config.sql passing the file system path to the base directory where the Oracle Application Express software was unzipped

The only reference I see to TNSNAMES anywhere in Apex installation is in the Listener documentation>

TNSNAMES is documented here http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B28359_01/network.111/b28317/tnsnames.htm

You will find the file in your $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin folder.

You have specified LOCALHOST in the DB Connection setup of ApexListener. This will work if and only if your ApexListener is running on the same machine as your XE. If XE is on a different machine then
    a. The machine on which XE runs must have a static IP, not DHCP
    b. You have you specify the IP or hostname of the XE machine in place of localhost in setup.

Cheers,

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points