This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Dec 21, 2012 3:28 PM by EJP RSS

confusion in  Stirng object

980221 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
my Question is , How Many object Has been created i of String in given below , i am confused so please reply the Explanation

String S= "abc";

String S1= new String ("abc");

String S2= "abc";

String S3= S1;
  • 1. Re: confusion in  Stirng object
    Kayaman Guru
    This is a school homework question or similar, right?
    How many Strings do you think are created?
  • 2. Re: confusion in  Stirng object
    961708 Newbie
    You need to understand simple concept, when a new object will be created in context to String..

1- everytime a contructor is used by using new, it is true for any object of Java.
    2- even a string if created via String pool, and when it doesn't exists already in pool.

So, there will be two objects in your example...

1- String S= "abc"; first occurence of your codebase line, assuming "abc" already doesn't exists in pool.
    2- String S1= new String ("abc"); //This will always create new object doesn't matter if exists or not in the pool.

And remaning two lines wouldn't impact the object creation, that is just a reference assignment for string pool and created object.

hope, this helps you.
  • 3. Re: confusion in  Stirng object
    EJP Guru
    You need to understand simple concept, when a new object will be created in context to String..

1- everytime a contructor is used by using new, it is true for any object of Java.
    Correct.
    2- even a string if created via String pool, and when it doesn't exists already in pool.
    Meaningless. To the extent I can make sense of this, it is incorrect.
    So, there will be two objects in your example...
    There will indeed, but not for the reasons you have given.
    1- String S= "abc"; first occurence of your codebase line, assuming "abc" already doesn't exists in pool.
    But "abc" does exist in the string pool, by definition. All string literals are pooled. This line does not create a new object. It creates a reference to an existing object in the string pool.
    2- String S1= new String ("abc"); //This will always create new object doesn't matter if exists or not in the pool.
    Correct except that in this case once again "abc" does exist in the pool.
    And remaning two lines wouldn't impact the object creation, that is just a reference assignment for string pool and created object.
    Of the remaining two lines, the first is the same as the original first line, so it is a new reference to an existing object, and the second is also a new reference to an existing object.
    hope, this helps you.
    It won't because it is 50% incorrect.
  • 4. Re: confusion in  Stirng object
    aksarben Journeyer
    Why does it matter how many string objects there are?
  • 5. Re: confusion in  Stirng object
    gimbal2 Guru
    aksarben wrote:
    Why does it matter how many string objects there are?
    When are school programming assignments ever about answering sensible questions?
  • 6. Re: confusion in  Stirng object
    EJP Guru
    1971. My first two assignments were a bubble sort and a heap sort, the latter to prove that the former is simple but useless. Never used a bubble sort since. Very useful bit of knowledge.

This perennial question about the strings doesn't even have the virtue of proving anything in particular, and as I said above it is questionable whether the people asking the question would know the correct answer when they see it.

It must be in a book somewhere: it's always exactly the same whenever asked.
  • 7. Re: confusion in  Stirng object
    gimbal2 Guru
    EJP wrote:
    1971. My first two assignments were a bubble sort and a heap sort, the latter to prove that the former is simple but useless. Never used a bubble sort since. Very useful bit of knowledge.
    Not fair. Back then schools actually trained useful people. Nowadays even math is going out the door because it is "too hard".
  • 8. Re: confusion in  Stirng object
    EJP Guru
    First three courses were Fortran, numerical analysis, and Logical Organization (i.e. of the hardware).

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points