2 Replies Latest reply: Dec 22, 2012 1:53 AM by flavioc RSS

Transfering Application from localhost Apex to the Apex that is online

We make an application in the apex localhost of oracle 11g, and now we are required to transfer it to the online apex. I already exported the application and the images and it works fine in the online apex. But the problem is don't know how to transfer the tables and database objects. There's no export feature for that. I also can't open that online apex in sql developer because maybe the hostname, sid and port is wrong. My last choice is to re create every tables and objects again in the online apex. I know that there should be another way to do this. Could anyone help me with this? thanks in advance.
        • 1. Re: Transfering Application from localhost Apex to the Apex that is online
          Matthew Morris
          Open the local Apex instance in SQL Developer and use its export capability to export the objects you need to a SQL script. Then log in to the online Apex and run the script. Mind you, IIRC, SQL*Dev includes the schema by default in the create statements, so you'll need to edit the script before running it.
          • 2. Re: Transfering Application from localhost Apex to the Apex that is online
            flavioc
            I am sorry but it seems to me a fairly naive way of installing applications into production.

The normal way would be to copy over the required schema(s) using the data pump export/import feature of Oracle, which enables you also to easily export any initial data that might be required by the application to work.
            In some cases there are applications that do not need any data to start working, in that case the data pump export/import feature is still very valuable because it allows you to redefine tablespaces, owners and other stuff in a rather simple way.

Last but not least APEX comes with the built-in utility that exports as DDLs all the basic objects in the schema, so for very simple applications made up of just tables, indexes, packages, triggers and so on, one can do all this from within the tool and even create the so-called "supporting objects" script for permanently storing into its own repository whatever is necessary for the installation of the entire application from scratch.

Flavio

----
            http://www.yocoya.com
            http://oraclequirks.blogspot.com