This discussion is archived
9 Replies Latest reply: Jan 9, 2013 4:04 PM by 983179 RSS

Java 7 Update 10 Not Working with Firefox?

981619 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Windows 7 64-bit
Mozilla Firefox 17.0.1 (Latest as of this time of writing)
Java 7 Update 10 (Runtime Edition)
Java 7 Update 10 (Runtime Edition) 64-bit

It used to work before I updated it to the latest version of Java.

I tried reinstalling everything with a clean registry but none has worked.

The problem is that "Java(TM) Platform" is missing from the plug-in list. When I run Java content in my Firefox it gives an error saying "Missing content...".

Works perfectly with Internet Explorer and the 64-bit version.

Any thoughts on how to make this new update work with Firefox?
  • 1. Re: Java 7 Update 10 Not Working with Firefox?
    982555 Newbie
    You have to deinstall JavaFX, then it works!
  • 2. Re: Java 7 Update 10 Not Working with Firefox?
    RogerL (Oracle) Java Champion
    There is a new help page on java.com for this problem.
    https://www.java.com/en/download/help/firefox_java.xml

The bug tracking this problem, as of today targeted to be fixed in 7u12:
    bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=8005410

In a few cases it has been seen that this workaround does not solve the problem. That is still being investigated. If the removal of FX does not resolve the problem, please post to to this forum.

-Roger
  • 3. Re: Java 7 Update 10 Not Working with Firefox?
    981619 Newbie
    I went to the link:

and followed the instructions there.

I uninstalled "Java 7 Update 10" and "Java 7 Update 10 (64-bit)". There's no such thing as a Java FX and there never existed one.

I ran the Microsoft uninstall utility and found no trace of Java in either Uninstall or Install options.

I downloaded and installed the Java Offiline installer provided in the link.

No luck.
  • 4. Re: Java 7 Update 10 Not Working with Firefox?
    982555 Newbie
    The problem is, that some registry kexy are missing.

These keys here works for JRE (32 bit) on Win 7 (64 bit), installed in the standard path.
    Just add them after the installation of the JRE 7u10 and the Firefox plugin will work.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin,version=10.10.2]
    "Description"="Oracle® Next Generation Java™ Plug-In"
    "GeckoVersion"="1.9"
    "Path"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Java\\jre7\\bin\\plugin2\\npjp2.dll"
    "ProductName"="Oracle® Java™ Plug-In"
    "Vendor"="Oracle Corp."
    "Version"="10.10.2"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin,version=10.10.2\MimeTypes]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin,version=10.10.2\MimeTypes\application/x-java-applet]
    "Description"="Java™ Applet"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin,version=10.10.2\MimeTypes\application/x-java-applet;jpi-version=10.10.2]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin,version=10.10.2\MimeTypes\application/x-java-applet;version=1.1]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin,version=10.10.2\MimeTypes\application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.1]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin,version=10.10.2\MimeTypes\application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.2]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin,version=10.10.2\MimeTypes\application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.3]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin,version=10.10.2\MimeTypes\application/x-java-applet;version=1.2]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin,version=10.10.2\MimeTypes\application/x-java-applet;version=1.2.1]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin,version=10.10.2\MimeTypes\application/x-java-applet;version=1.3]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin,version=10.10.2\MimeTypes\application/x-java-applet;version=1.3.1]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin,version=10.10.2\MimeTypes\application/x-java-applet;version=1.4]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin,version=10.10.2\MimeTypes\application/x-java-applet;version=1.4.1]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin,version=10.10.2\MimeTypes\application/x-java-applet;version=1.4.2]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin,version=10.10.2\MimeTypes\application/x-java-applet;version=1.5]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin,version=10.10.2\MimeTypes\application/x-java-applet;version=1.6]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin,version=10.10.2\MimeTypes\application/x-java-applet;version=1.7]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin,version=10.10.2\MimeTypes\application/x-java-vm]
    "Description"="Java™ Virtual Machine"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin,version=10.10.2\MimeTypes\application/x-java-vm-npruntime]
  • 5. Re: Java 7 Update 10 Not Working with Firefox?
    983179 Newbie
    johnsnyde wrote:
    I went to the link:

and followed the instructions there.

I uninstalled "Java 7 Update 10" and "Java 7 Update 10 (64-bit)". There's no such thing as a Java FX and there never existed one.

I ran the Microsoft uninstall utility and found no trace of Java in either Uninstall or Install options.

I downloaded and installed the Java Offiline installer provided in the link.

No luck.
    I'm experiencing the exact same issue after upgrading my Win7 64bit machine running Firefox 17.0.1 with the 32bit Java version
    I used the Upgrade Now option in the Java Control Panel to perform the upgrade and have lost ALL Java functionality since precisely that time.

I too tried all the steps to re-enable it, removing & reinstalling Java, followed all the suggestions to get it back up & running and havel also experienced No Luck at all.
    Nothing I do re-installs the Java (TM) Plugin in order for me to enable it.
  • 6. Re: Java 7 Update 10 Not Working with Firefox?
    RogerL (Oracle) Java Champion
    Hello 980176,

If you have other/older versions of the JRE installed, try uninstalling those. Then install 7u10. Let us know if that resolves the issue.

-Roger
  • 7. Re: Java 7 Update 10 Not Working with Firefox?
    983179 Newbie
    No I don't ... in fact I uninstalled any & every thing having to do with Java ... of which there was ONLY Java 7 Update 10. I'm pretty good about checking to see if old versions of software are leftover and I use Windows Add/Remove programs to remove any old versions. I also use CCleaner to clean the registry of all old keys etc when uninstalling software.

I have successfully gotten Java working again by removing Java 7 Update 10 ... and reinstalling Java 7 Update 9, but now of course I'm getting the "An old version of Java has been detected on your system." when visiting http://www.java.com/en/download/testjava.jsp.

I intend to once again install Java 7 Update 10 and see if the same thing happens ... losing Java functionality ... and then reverting back to Update 9 if that does in fact happen. I'll report back here with the outcome.

EDIT 01/07/2013:
    OK ... I went to java.com & followed the upgrade path from there. The upgrade from Java 7 Update 9 to Update 10 went uneventfully and was reported as successful ... however, again I lost all Java functionality thru my Firefox 17.0.1 browser. All functionality was restored upon removing Java 7 Update 10 and reverting to Update 9.

There is definitely *something" wrong with Java 7 Update 10.

Edited by: RoKphish on Jan 7, 2013 10:46 AM
  • 8. Re: Java 7 Update 10 Not Working with Firefox?
    983903 Newbie
    Try temporarily deactivating your firewall and AntiVirus. Then see if JRE 7u10 works.
  • 9. Re: Java 7 Update 10 Not Working with Firefox?
    983179 Newbie
    980900 wrote:
    Try temporarily deactivating your firewall and AntiVirus. Then see if JRE 7u10 works.
    Yeah ... I Had tried that previously as one of the suggestions I found in my earlier research of the problem.

No Luck.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points