This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 26, 2012 5:49 AM by Michael Ferrante (Oracle) RSS

Cannot download Java 7 update 9 32-bit

980889 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I am trying to download the most up to date version of Java (Java 7 update 9 32-bit) on a desktop computer running Windows 7 Pro (SP1). I have attempted to use both the online and offline methods of running the update procedure with no success.
I have attempted to delete all previous installations, and there are no listings for previous versions of Java in the “Programs and Features” control panel, and there is no separate control panel to install new versions of Java with.
Despite all of these attempts I continue to get the following message after the installer has been loaded:
“The wizard was interrupted before Java 7 update 9 could be completely installed. To complete installation at another time, please run setup again.”
Any help/suggestions are appreciated.
  • 1. Re: Cannot download Java 7 update 9 32-bit
    Michael Ferrante (Oracle) Guru Moderator
    Are you aware that the "latest" version is 1.7.0_10 and not _09?
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index-jsp-138363.html

Do you have Windows "administrator" privledges?

Do you have security software installed which may prevent the installation of other software?

Are you running the installation from the local machine? In other words, you say you downloaded jre-7u9-windows-i586.exe, but is it stored on the same machine or is it on a remote machine (network share or mapped drive)?

After you uninstalled all old versions did you reboot before attempting to install the new one?
  • 2. Re: Cannot download Java 7 update 9 32-bit
    gimbal2 Guru
    Michael Ferrante (Oracle) wrote:
    After you uninstalled all old versions did you reboot before attempting to install the new one?
    Its Windows 7, not Windows 95 ;)
  • 3. Re: Cannot download Java 7 update 9 32-bit
    Michael Ferrante (Oracle) Guru Moderator
    Its Windows 7, not Windows 95
    So what does this have to do with anything? Although what you are implying is valid, there are still some cases where reboot is necessary. This is especially true for example if the Win MSI installer is not used properly and/or if a file is unreleasably locked during the installation.

The fact that files may be locked during an installation is still possible (although should be rare). The problem is less about rebooting and more about people understanding what they are doing. Some users (people running the installers) don't close all processes which might have file locks on the software they are trying to uninstall (or update). If they would just ensure that all processes which might use the JRE (e.g. browsers) were closed (double check in the task manager) before running the installer, the installer won't complain and reboot would not be necessary.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points