This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Dec 28, 2012 2:24 AM by ash0602 RSS

Error occurred while painting error page

ash0602 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

I have strange issue "Error occurred while painting error page: ORA-06508: PL/SQL: could not find program unit being called", I definitely messed with something, need help to understand and any clue to solve it?

APEX Version: 4.2 on APEX Listener 1.x
Database: 11.2

I had space issue on my apex 4.2 instance on tablespace apex402. I had a previous instance of 4.1 on tablespace apex401 which I was not using it, so I thought to drop it and reuse that datafile into my 4.2 instance, and is the sequence of command I ran:
DROP TABLESPACE apex401 INCLUDING CONTENTS CASCADE CONSTRAINTS;

ALTER TABLESPACE apex402 ADD DATAFILE '/database/APXDEV1/apx_data/apex401_a.dbf' REUSE;

DROP USER apex_040100 CASCADE;

BEGIN 
  DBMS_UTILITY.compile_schema( schema => 'APEX_040200' );
END;
/
And after that my development instance is gone with the error message on the main page (http://server_name:8080/apex/) itself.

I know I should have simply asked DBAs to add the datafile to add some space, and I feel the "CASCADE CONSTRAINTS" in the drop tablespace may be an issue.

Any help in this would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ash
  • 1. Re: Error occurred while painting error page
    Prabodh Guru
    Hi Ash,

It was definitely not a wise thing to execute these steps.
    I have strange issue "Error occurred while painting error page: ORA-06508: PL/SQL: could not find program unit being called", I definitely messed with something, need help to understand and any clue to solve it?
    APEX Version: 4.2 on APEX Listener 1.x
    Database: 11.2

I had space issue on my apex 4.2 instance on tablespace apex402. I had a previous instance of 4.1 on tablespace apex401 which I was not using it, so I thought to drop it and reuse that datafile into my 4.2 instance, and is the sequence of command I ran:
    DROP TABLESPACE apex401 INCLUDING CONTENTS CASCADE CONSTRAINTS;
    This step was not necessary and is possibly the root cause. The INCLUDING CONTENTS deletes the datafile. And deleting tablespace does not mean the all the user's objects were deleted, they could be in other tablespaces as well.
    What was the tablespace you had specified when running apexinst for 4.2? If it was tablespace apex401 then your Apex 4.2 has been destroyed and you will need to restore from backup or reinstall RDBMS onwards.
    >
    ALTER TABLESPACE apex402 ADD DATAFILE '/database/APXDEV1/apx_data/apex401_a.dbf' REUSE;

BEGIN
    DBMS_UTILITY.compile_schema( schema => 'APEX_040200' );
    END;
    /
    And after that my development instance is gone with the error message on the main page (http://server_name:8080/apex/) itself.

I know I should have simply asked DBAs to add the datafile to add some space, and I feel the "CASCADE CONSTRAINTS" in the drop tablespace may be an issue.
    {quote}

If your database can be flashed back to a time before this mishap took place then try it. And this time get your DBA into it :-)

If you installed Apex4.2 in a tablespace other than apex401 (looks like you used apex402) then check all the Public Synonyms where TABLE_OWNER = 'APEX040100' and re-create them for corresponding objects owned by APEX_040200.

Cheers,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                
  • 2. Re: Error occurred while painting error page
    ash0602 Newbie
    Thanks Prabodh for your patience to read through and reply. I knew it was not wise thing to do, though DBAs are very friendly but this time being the holiday season with less number of DBAs and that too asking anything on "development instance" when you "have" the sys password is little too much, I originally believed!

As I guessed "I feel the "CASCADE CONSTRAINTS" in the drop tablespace may be an issue." was the main culprit followed by
    (without first checking the public synonyms).

Though
    ... INCLUDING CONTENTS
    will not delete the datafile, unless you specifically mention
    ... INCLUDING CONTENTS AND DATAFILES
    . And I used apex402 tablespace.

Again flashback was not enabled for dev instance (make sense). And I cannot recommend the steps I took to restore apex either, which is installing apex (this time 4.2.1) with manually modifying the coreins and apexins to bypass few steps for success (and few tweaks after installation).

Thanks again,
    Ash

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points