This discussion is archived
10 Replies Latest reply: Dec 28, 2012 8:26 PM by MarkM RSS

install 12c agent for multiple ORACLE_HOME

459893 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello, this is about installing 12c AGENTS on a HPUX server where I have 8 DB running. They (the DB package) gets failover to the secondary server as part of existing HP Service Guard configuration.

Now I have two options for installing agents for these db:

(1) I install agent per ORACLE_HOME
(2) OR is it possible to install just one Agent on my HPUX server where I have 8DB running? sort of one agent for 8 ORACLE_HOMEs?

Regards,
  • 1. Re: install 12c agent for multiple ORACLE_HOME
    Akanksha Sheoran Kaler Pro
    One agent for all DB Oracle_homes
  • 2. Re: install 12c agent for multiple ORACLE_HOME
    gbite Newbie
    Install 8 different agents? That will be an over-kill.

As with older EM, you will probably have a new home which will be the agent home and the agent (1) will run on the server and discover as many oracle_homes and databases you have on the host.
  • 3. Re: install 12c agent for multiple ORACLE_HOME
    Akanksha Sheoran Kaler Pro
    i was not clear in my last update. I was suggesting option2
  • 4. Re: install 12c agent for multiple ORACLE_HOME
    459893 Newbie
    Thank you very much for the suggestion.

Install one agent for 8 Oracle Homes in server 'A' will work for me. Do I need to install the agent on a location that is configured under service guard(shared) OR install the agent on a local filesystem in the server?
    But with this notion, I end up with a situation: Say one day 1 of my DB package failed over to Server 'B'.
    1. How do the agent in Server 'A' knows about the DB that is failed over to Server 'B'?
    2. Do I need to install similar agent in my failover server (Server 'B') as well?
    my environment
    == == == ==
    Failover : Service Guard
    Primary : Server 'A'
    Secondary : Server 'B'
    Database : 8 -- each db is configured as separate package so that they can be selectively failed over to the Secondary Server.

regards,
  • 5. Re: install 12c agent for multiple ORACLE_HOME
    Smitha-Oracle Explorer
    Lily,

Take a look at the instructions in Oracle® Enterprise Manager Cloud Control Advanced Installation and Configuration Guide 12c Release 2 (12.1.0.2), Appendix F Configuring Targets for Failover in Active/Passive Environments
    at URL - //docs.oracle.com/cd/E24628_01/install.121/e24089/appdx_ha_multi_resource.htm#CIAEIDDB
    and see if it helps.
  • 6. Re: install 12c agent for multiple ORACLE_HOME
    459893 Newbie
    well, thanks all for previous suggestions..

my HPUX server specification: 2 primary server(8 DB running) and 1 failover server.
    host1 : Primary (4DB running)
    host2: Primary (4DB running)
    host3: Failover
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that I pushed 3 agents to both my primary and lone failover server succesfully, After discovering/confuguring the targets, I can see all 8 databases in my 12c OEM perfectly.
    I haave also succesfully installed EMCLI as per the docs. Now I am ready to test the failover as mentioned in earlier post. This is what I did:

1. I failed over database 'DB1' from host1 to host3.
    2. Surprisingly, I can still see 'DB1' appearing in my 12c OEM without even performing any EMCLI (relocate_targets), and the 'DB1' host is still showing as 'host1' instead of the new host which is 'host3'. -- this is where I am confused -- after failover, my 'DB1' is running in 'host3' but the OEM shows the host as 'host1'.. -----> COULD THIS BE one of the agent in 'host1'/'host2'/'host3' is somehow monitoring the 'DB1' still? I restarted OMS and still see the same thing..

3. Then I thought to test out EMCLI relocate_targets and ran the following in the 'host3' to see if I see a correct host name in OEM :
    emcli relocate_targets
    -src_agent=https://host1.mycom.com:3874
    -dest_agent=https://host3.mycom.com:3874
    -target_name=DB1.WORLD -target_type=oracle_database
    -copy_from_src -force=yes

BUT I GOT below syntax error:
    Syntax Error: Missing required argument -dest_agent
    Syntax Error: Missing required argument -src_agent

Any clue would be much helpful for me to succesfully configure 12c OEM at my work.

Regards_Lily.
  • 7. Re: install 12c agent for multiple ORACLE_HOME
    Courtney Llamas Journeyer
    Does the db show up or down on original host? If it's showing up it's likely due to VIP failover and connect configuration.

Add these to your emcli cmd and try again:

-dest_agent <host:port of old owner (host1)> -src_agent <host:port or new owner (host3?)>
  • 8. Re: install 12c agent for multiple ORACLE_HOME
    459893 Newbie
    @cllamas , I have tried as you have suggested but got same error.

btw, All the hosts and the DB is appearing in mgmt_targets table perfectly.
  • 9. Re: install 12c agent for multiple ORACLE_HOME
    Courtney Llamas Journeyer
    Here's the cmd syntax in full:

emcli relocate_targets -src_agent=currentOwner -dest_agent="<node 2>:3872" -target_name="<database_name>" -target_type=oracle_database -copy_from_src -force=yes

You might also review this note, Setup and Configure Target Relocate Using EMCLI 10.2 or 11.1 (Doc ID 577443.1). Has some very helpful steps/process to follow. If that doesn't work, I would suggest opening an SR with support so they can walk thru it with you and collect log files, etc.
  • 10. Re: install 12c agent for multiple ORACLE_HOME
    MarkM Explorer
    Hi,
    For 12c you should follow the steps as per the docs previously referenced:
    //docs.oracle.com/cd/E24628_01/install.121/e24089/appdx_ha_multi_resource.htm#CIAEIDDB

The relocate targets command does not require https:// prefix for src_agent and dest_agent. Can you try without that.

Regards, Mark.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points