This discussion is archived
12 Replies Latest reply: Jan 4, 2013 9:55 AM by jgarry RSS

How to confirm license of Oracle 11g

975148 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
We have taken a billing solution for our telecom business support system in which they use Oracle database 11g as the database. I want to verify the license of the Oracle database 11g if it is really licensed. Please let me know how to do it.

I hope, my question is clear.

Please revert with the reply to my query.

Regards
  • 1. Re: How to confirm license of Oracle 11g
    Niket Kumar Pro
    they have a CSI(customer support identifier) number or they have billing copy of oracle license.
    you cannot check from database level.
  • 2. Re: How to confirm license of Oracle 11g
    975148 Newbie
    Thanks for your answer. I can check with the vendor whether they have a CSI or they have a billing copy of Oracle license. But, does having a CSI which could be in the case of even metalink support mean that they have permission to use Oracle software.

Regards.
  • 3. Re: How to confirm license of Oracle 11g
    Girish Sharma Guru
    Please read the good reply by Sir Hans Forbrich at below link in the last :

where can i find the metalink account?

Another good link :
    http://www.orafaq.com/wiki/Oracle_licensing

Regards
    Girish Sharma
  • 4. Re: How to confirm license of Oracle 11g
    Niket Kumar Pro
    these points will help you as suggested by Girish links.

Please note the following steps/sequence:

- you purchase the product license (for a perpetual license, this is done once)
    - you purchase support for that product for one year
    - you receive a Customer Support Identifier (CSI) as a result of purchasing the Support
    - you get a letter from Oracle explaining how to create the first My Oracle Support (formerly Metalink) account
    - you create that account and link the CSI to that account. You may have many CSIs against an account.
    - after the first account, you may create others that need to be linked to a CSI and approved by the administrator
    - every year after that you renew that CSI or the CSI becomes 'expired'
    - if all CSIs are expired, the account no longer can log in to My Oracle Support

In your case, IF the company has been paying support, there must be an administrator account and a CSI number. If you can not find out who the administrator is, you can contact your Oracle Sales rep or Oracle Support by phone.

More information at https://support.oracle.com/CSP/ui/flash.html under the "New user? Register here" and "Read the Registration FAQ" links.
  • 5. Re: How to confirm license of Oracle 11g
    975148 Newbie
    Next thing which comes in is how is the licensing done if a vendor sells his software which uses Oracle as the database. If the vendor sells his software to 20 clients in a year, would that mean that they have 20 licenses. How to know whether the vendor is using a licensed copy or not? I have access to the database and v$license was one of the virtual tables I checked.

Regards
  • 6. Re: How to confirm license of Oracle 11g
    975148 Newbie
    Request the people in this forum to please share their inputs.

Regards
  • 7. Re: How to confirm license of Oracle 11g
    Osama_Mustafa Oracle ACE
    You can contact Oracle Local Office in your Country / Sales Dept or account Manager And Ask them About that , They Will provide you with Information you need .
  • 8. Re: How to confirm license of Oracle 11g
    EdStevens Guru
    972145 wrote:
    Request the people in this forum to please share their inputs.

Regards
    Patience, Grasshopper

You posted this follow-up a mere two hours and ten minutes after your previous post.

This forum is not a chat line, and it is not paid support.

Everyone here has a job for which they are paid, and this forum is not it.

No one is responsible for monitoring it and giving a quick response.

Furthermore, it is a global forum. The person with the information you seek may very well live 20 time zones away from you and was going to bed just as you posted. He will not even see your post for several more hours.

Your original post went up in the middle of the night for half the world.

No one with the information you seek is deliberately withholding it until you sound sufficiently desperate.

As for your original question, in the end all licensing questions should be directed to Oracle and/or your reseller.
  • 9. Re: How to confirm license of Oracle 11g
    jgarry Guru
    972145 wrote:
    Next thing which comes in is how is the licensing done if a vendor sells his software which uses Oracle as the database. If the vendor sells his software to 20 clients in a year, would that mean that they have 20 licenses. How to know whether the vendor is using a licensed copy or not? I have access to the database and v$license was one of the virtual tables I checked.

Regards
    There isn't any direct link between what license you have and what the database thinks you have, although there are options for the database to contact support directly.

There are different kinds of licenses. If the vendor uses XE, then it is freely distributable, with limitations of size and cpu. The only way to know if other types are licensed is to contact the vendor and Oracle. If the vendor is playing games, this can result in audits and/or lawsuits. Some methods of installation and patching by default install unlicensed options that the dba is responsible for disabling.

It is possible to have a license without support. You need the paperwork to show that you have a license, and additional paperwork to show support. Third parties can provide support in conjunction with Oracle. If you can't get them to show the paperwork, you might need to talk to your legal department. You need support of some kind to get patches.

You need to get this information, some third party support organizations have been known to go out of business. It is a really good idea to get a CSI number and create a support account of your own.
  • 10. Re: How to confirm license of Oracle 11g
    975148 Newbie
    Thanks for your answer but can you please let me know what XE in your reply means. Request you to please revert.
  • 11. Re: How to confirm license of Oracle 11g
    Osama_Mustafa Oracle ACE
    XE ---> Express Edition which is Free for Learning Purpose . and you can download it from http://www.oracle.com
  • 12. Re: How to confirm license of Oracle 11g
    jgarry Guru
    XE is freely distributable with applications, as long as you aren't a terrorist and the app users agree to the license. See http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/licenses/database-11g-express-license-459621.html especially the part about license rights and http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E17781_01/license.112/e18068/toc.htm for feature availability.

All the other editions can be downloaded free for learning purposes and some other limited reasons, see the license you agree to when you download it.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points