This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 28, 2012 8:50 AM by Girish Sharma RSS

raw device support in 11gr2

926398 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
We are currently running oracle 10.2.0.4 RAC using raw devices on the hpux itanium 64bit platform. We want to upgrade to 11.2.0.3 and I am wanting to know what parts of of database environment will still be able to utilize raw devices?
Can my datafiles remain on raw devices or will we need to somehow convert over to using ASM? What about the ocr and voting device? Can they remain on raw devices or do we need to configure ASM for the ocr and voting disk?
Thanks.
  • 1. Re: raw device support in 11gr2
    sb92075 Guru
    923395 wrote:
    We are currently running oracle 10.2.0.4 RAC using raw devices on the hpux itanium 64bit platform. We want to upgrade to 11.2.0.3 and I am wanting to know what parts of of database environment will still be able to utilize raw devices?
    Can my datafiles remain on raw devices or will we need to somehow convert over to using ASM? What about the ocr and voting device? Can they remain on raw devices or do we need to configure ASM for the ocr and voting disk?
    Thanks.
    when all else fails, Read The Fine Manual

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e24169/storage.htm#sthref558
  • 2. Re: raw device support in 11gr2
    926398 Newbie
    So it says that as long as we are upgading then we can continue to use the raw devices for ocr and voting disk but for new install the raw devices are not supported. Thanks for your reply.
    I'm really starting to get the feeling that Rac is not worth it when it comes time to perfrom upgrades becuase of the complexity that comes along with the upgrades process.
  • 3. Re: raw device support in 11gr2
    Girish Sharma Guru
    If you follows below link then I hope you will not get any issuse:

http://docs.oracle.com/html/B10766_08/prehpux.htm

Regards
    Girish Sharma

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points