This discussion is archived
1 2 3 Previous Next 43 Replies Latest reply: May 8, 2013 9:07 AM by user12069648 RSS

Oracle error ora-12545

joseph619 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello
i have a problem to connect my database
error ora-12545 Connect failed because target host or object does not exist
I checked on the forums for similar error
tried all recommandation like
check hosts file, ping server ... but nothing

My connection is like this
i have one oracle db server on a RHEL 5.4
i have one oracle client on another RHEL 5.4

i tried to connect to the db via the client but it does not work
i have configured my connect string (orcl)
tnsping work : tnsping orcl
Still i cannot connect to db server

here is another thing
when i type sqlplus the prompt comes for
username
after password
and then i got  error ora-12545 Connect failed because target host or object does not exist

but

when i connect like this : user/pass@orcl
it brings me back to shell prompt without giving error**
like it logs in and logs out just after

Is there any log i should activate or check ?

What should be done to correct this ?

Any idea would be appreciate ?

Thanks
  • 1. Re: Oracle error ora-12545
    EdStevens Guru
    Currently Being Moderated
    Joseph wrote:
    Hello
    i have a problem to connect my database
    error ora-12545 Connect failed because target host or object does not exist
    I checked on the forums for similar error
    tried all recommandation like
    check hosts file, ping server ... but nothing

    My connection is like this
    i have one oracle db server on a RHEL 5.4
    i have one oracle client on another RHEL 5.4

    i tried to connect to the db via the client but it does not work
    i have configured my connect string (orcl)
    tnsping work : tnsping orcl
    Still i cannot connect to db server

    here is another thing
    when i type sqlplus the prompt comes for
    username
    after password
    and then i got  error ora-12545 Connect failed because target host or object does not exist

    but

    when i connect like this : user/pass@orcl
    it brings me back to shell prompt without giving error**
    like it logs in and logs out just after

    Is there any log i should activate or check ?

    What should be done to correct this ?

    Any idea would be appreciate ?

    Thanks
    Rather than telling us what you think you did, show us exactly what you did do. Copy and paste are a beautiful thing, but only if you use it.
    From a command prompt on the client machine, enter the following command:
    tnsping orcl
    when it completes, copy the entire session -- complete command and complete result, and post back to here. From that output we will know what the next step should be.
  • 2. Re: Oracle error ora-12545
    joseph619 Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated
    ok sir here it is :

    [oracle@SRVJDEENT admin]$ tnsping jdevm

    TNS Ping Utility for Linux: Version 11.2.0.1.0 - Production on 28-DEC-2012 20:36:36

    Copyright (c) 1997, 2009, Oracle. All rights reserved.

    Used parameter files:
    /u01/app/oracle/product/11ovm/client_1/network/admin/sqlnet.ora


    Used TNSNAMES adapter to resolve the alias
    Attempting to contact (DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS_LIST = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = SRVJDEDBS) (PORT = 1521))) (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = jdevm)))
    OK (10 msec)
    [oracle@SRVJDEENT admin]$
  • 3. Re: Oracle error ora-12545
    EdStevens Guru
    Currently Being Moderated
    Joseph wrote:
    ok sir here it is :

    [oracle@SRVJDEENT admin]$ tnsping jdevm

    TNS Ping Utility for Linux: Version 11.2.0.1.0 - Production on 28-DEC-2012 20:36:36

    Copyright (c) 1997, 2009, Oracle. All rights reserved.

    Used parameter files:
    /u01/app/oracle/product/11ovm/client_1/network/admin/sqlnet.ora
    >
    Used TNSNAMES adapter to resolve the alias
    Attempting to contact (DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS_LIST = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = SRVJDEDBS) (PORT = 1521))) (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = jdevm)))
    OK (10 msec)
    [oracle@SRVJDEENT admin]$
    That is much more helpful

    ok, from that we see it is trying to route the request to HOST = SRVJDEDBS.
    Next
    cat /etc/hosts
    ping SRVJDEDBS
    and give us the result as before.
  • 4. Re: Oracle error ora-12545
    joseph619 Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated
    cat /etc/hosts

    [oracle@SRVJDEENT admin]$ cat /etc/hosts
    127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
    ::1 localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6
    192.168.0.192 SRVJDEENT
    192.168.0.191 SRVJDEDBS
    192.168.0.193 SRVJDEWEB
    192.168.0.194 SRVJDEDEP

    ping srvjdedbs


    [oracle@SRVJDEENT admin]$ ping SRVJDEDBS
    PING SRVJDEDBS (192.168.0.191) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from SRVJDEDBS (192.168.0.191): icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=2.42 ms
    64 bytes from SRVJDEDBS (192.168.0.191): icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.334 ms
    64 bytes from SRVJDEDBS (192.168.0.191): icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=0.332 ms
    64 bytes from SRVJDEDBS (192.168.0.191): icmp_seq=4 ttl=64 time=0.331 ms
    64 bytes from SRVJDEDBS (192.168.0.191): icmp_seq=5 ttl=64 time=0.322 ms
    64 bytes from SRVJDEDBS (192.168.0.191): icmp_seq=6 ttl=64 time=0.276 ms
    64 bytes from SRVJDEDBS (192.168.0.191): icmp_seq=7 ttl=64 time=0.342 ms

    --- SRVJDEDBS ping statistics ---
    7 packets transmitted, 7 received, 0% packet loss, time 6002ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.276/0.622/2.421/0.734 ms
  • 5. Re: Oracle error ora-12545
    EdStevens Guru
    Currently Being Moderated
    Joseph wrote:
    cat /etc/hosts

    [oracle@SRVJDEENT admin]$ cat /etc/hosts
    127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
    ::1 localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6
    192.168.0.192 SRVJDEENT
    192.168.0.191 SRVJDEDBS
    192.168.0.193 SRVJDEWEB
    192.168.0.194 SRVJDEDEP

    ping srvjdedbs


    [oracle@SRVJDEENT admin]$ ping SRVJDEDBS
    PING SRVJDEDBS (192.168.0.191) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from SRVJDEDBS (192.168.0.191): icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=2.42 ms
    64 bytes from SRVJDEDBS (192.168.0.191): icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.334 ms
    64 bytes from SRVJDEDBS (192.168.0.191): icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=0.332 ms
    64 bytes from SRVJDEDBS (192.168.0.191): icmp_seq=4 ttl=64 time=0.331 ms
    64 bytes from SRVJDEDBS (192.168.0.191): icmp_seq=5 ttl=64 time=0.322 ms
    64 bytes from SRVJDEDBS (192.168.0.191): icmp_seq=6 ttl=64 time=0.276 ms
    64 bytes from SRVJDEDBS (192.168.0.191): icmp_seq=7 ttl=64 time=0.342 ms

    --- SRVJDEDBS ping statistics ---
    7 packets transmitted, 7 received, 0% packet loss, time 6002ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.276/0.622/2.421/0.734 ms
    Ok
    sqlplus <someuser>/<somepassword>@jdevm
    Of course, you'll need to supply good credentials for <someuser>/<somepassword>
  • 6. Re: Oracle error ora-12545
    joseph619 Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated
    ok


    [oracle@SRVJDEENT admin]$ sqlplus jde/jde@jdevm

    SQL*Plus: Release 11.2.0.1.0 Production on Fri Dec 28 22:38:40 2012

    Copyright (c) 1982, 2009, Oracle. All rights reserved.

    [oracle@SRVJDEENT admin]$


    here is the result !!!
  • 7. Re: Oracle error ora-12545
    sb92075 Guru
    Currently Being Moderated
    12545, 00000, "Connect failed because target host or object does not exist"
    // *Cause: The address specified is not valid, or the program being 
    // connected to does not exist.
    // *Action: Ensure the ADDRESS parameters have been entered correctly; the
    // most likely incorrect parameter is the node name.  Ensure that the 
    // executable for the server exists (perhaps "oracle" is missing.)
    // If the protocol is TCP/IP, edit the TNSNAMES.ORA file to change the
    // host name to a numeric IP address and try again.
    since this error is thrown when you do NOT explicitly use SQL*Net,
    this implies OS/Networking mis-configuration is root cause.

    When was last time you could successfully login to DB without error?
    What changed since then?

    using COPY & PASTE post results from following OS commands

    /sbin/ifconfig
    uname -a
    hostname
  • 8. Re: Oracle error ora-12545
    joseph619 Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated
    ok
    /sbin/ifconfig
    [oracle@SRVJDEENT admin]$ /sbin/ifconfig
    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:16:3E:63:2E:E9
    inet addr:192.168.0.192 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    inet6 addr: fe80::216:3eff:fe63:2ee9/64 Scope:Link
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:216475 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:59134 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:30077465 (28.6 MiB) TX bytes:23151168 (22.0 MiB)

    lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:5535 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:5535 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:6911715 (6.5 MiB) TX bytes:6911715 (6.5 MiB)

    [oracle@SRVJDEENT admin]$


    uname -a

    [oracle@SRVJDEENT admin]$ uname -a
    Linux SRVJDEENT 2.6.18-164.0.0.0.1.el5xen #1 SMP Thu Sep 3 00:34:43 EDT 2009 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    [oracle@SRVJDEENT admin]$


    hostname

    [oracle@SRVJDEENT admin]$ hostname
    SRVJDEENT
    [oracle@SRVJDEENT admin]$
  • 9. Re: Oracle error ora-12545
    sb92075 Guru
    Currently Being Moderated
    Joseph wrote:
    ok


    [oracle@SRVJDEENT admin]$ sqlplus jde/jde@jdevm
    Is the target "host" a Virtual Machine?



    For System1 post hostname, IP#, Operating System name & version & Oracle s/w version to 4 decimal places.
    For System2 post hostname, IP#, Operating System name & version & Oracle s/w version to 4 decimal places.
    Clarify which hostname is associated with DataBase (DB) Server system & which hostname with SQL Client.

    From DB Server post content of listener.ora & sqlnet.ora (if either exist)
    From DB Server post results from following commands
    lsnrtcl status
    lsnrctl service
    sqlplus scott/tiger

    From SQL Client post content of tnsnames.ora & sqlnet.ora (if either exist)
    From SQL Client post results from following commands
    tnsping <DB_alias>
    ping <DBhostname>
    sqlplus scott/tiger@<DB_alias>
  • 10. Re: Oracle error ora-12545
    EdStevens Guru
    Currently Being Moderated
    Joseph wrote:
    ok


    [oracle@SRVJDEENT admin]$ sqlplus jde/jde@jdevm

    SQL*Plus: Release 11.2.0.1.0 Production on Fri Dec 28 22:38:40 2012

    Copyright (c) 1982, 2009, Oracle. All rights reserved.

    [oracle@SRVJDEENT admin]$


    here is the result !!!
    Are you saying sqlpus exited without either confirming a connection or giving an error message? That's what you've posted. There should be more messages from sqlplus immediately after the copyright notice, but all I see is back to the OS prompt.
  • 11. Re: Oracle error ora-12545
    joseph619 Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated
    sb92075

    Yes target host is a virtual machine

    System1
    hostname: SRVEJDEENT
    IP#:192.168.0.192
    OS name version:Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server Release 5.4 (Tikanga)
    Oracle Client Version:
    DataBase Client
    tnsnames.ora:
    # tnsnames.ora Network Configuration File: /u01/app/oracle/product/11ovm/client_1/network/admin/tnsnames.ora
    # Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

    JDEVM =
    (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = SRVJDEDBS)(PORT = 1521))
    (CONNECT_DATA =
    (SERVER = DEDICATED)
    (SERVICE_NAME = jdevm)
    )
    )


    sqlnet.ora
    # sqlnet.ora Network Configuration File: /u01/app/oracle/product/11ovm/client_1/network/admin/sqlnet.ora
    # Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

    NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (TNSNAMES)

    ADR_BASE = /u01/app/oracle


    tnsping jdevm
    [oracle@SRVJDEENT admin]$ tnsping jdevm

    TNS Ping Utility for Linux: Version 11.2.0.1.0 - Production on 30-DEC-2012 13:25:49

    Copyright (c) 1997, 2009, Oracle. All rights reserved.

    Used parameter files:
    /u01/app/oracle/product/11ovm/client_1/network/admin/sqlnet.ora


    Used TNSNAMES adapter to resolve the alias
    Attempting to contact (DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = SRVJDEDBS)(PORT = 1521)) (CONNECT_DATA = (SERVER = DEDICATED) (SERVICE_NAME = jdevm)))
    OK (0 msec)
    [oracle@SRVJDEENT admin]$


    ping SRVJDEDBS
    [oracle@SRVJDEENT admin]$ ping SRVJDEDBS
    PING SRVJDEDBS (192.168.0.191) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from SRVJDEDBS (192.168.0.191): icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.315 ms
    64 bytes from SRVJDEDBS (192.168.0.191): icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.321 ms
    64 bytes from SRVJDEDBS (192.168.0.191): icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=0.293 ms
    64 bytes from SRVJDEDBS (192.168.0.191): icmp_seq=4 ttl=64 time=0.349 ms
    64 bytes from SRVJDEDBS (192.168.0.191): icmp_seq=5 ttl=64 time=0.336 ms
    64 bytes from SRVJDEDBS (192.168.0.191): icmp_seq=6 ttl=64 time=0.277 ms
    64 bytes from SRVJDEDBS (192.168.0.191): icmp_seq=7 ttl=64 time=0.313 ms
    64 bytes from SRVJDEDBS (192.168.0.191): icmp_seq=8 ttl=64 time=0.334 ms
    64 bytes from SRVJDEDBS (192.168.0.191): icmp_seq=9 ttl=64 time=0.325 ms
    64 bytes from SRVJDEDBS (192.168.0.191): icmp_seq=10 ttl=64 time=0.332 ms
    64 bytes from SRVJDEDBS (192.168.0.191): icmp_seq=11 ttl=64 time=0.327 ms

    --- SRVJDEDBS ping statistics ---
    11 packets transmitted, 11 received, 0% packet loss, time 9999ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.277/0.320/0.349/0.022 ms
    [oracle@SRVJDEENT admin]$
    [oracle@SRVJDEENT admin]$



    sqlplus scott/tiger@jdevm
    [oracle@SRVJDEENT admin]$ sqlplus scott/tiger@jdevm

    SQL*Plus: Release 11.2.0.1.0 Production on Sun Dec 30 13:29:24 2012

    Copyright (c) 1982, 2009, Oracle. All rights reserved.

    [oracle@SRVJDEENT admin]$


    System2
    hostname:SRVJDEDBS
    IP#:192.168.0.191
    OS name version:
    [oracle@SRVJDEDBS admin]$ hostname
    SRVJDEDBS

    Oracle DB Server Version:

    [oracle@SRVJDEDBS admin]$ sqlplus system

    SQL*Plus: Release 11.2.0.1.0 Production on Sun Dec 30 13:44:22 2012

    Copyright (c) 1982, 2009, Oracle. All rights reserved.

    Enter password:

    Connected to:
    Oracle Database 11g Release 11.2.0.1.0 - 64bit Production

    SQL>



    DataBase Server
    listener.ora
    # listener.ora Network Configuration File: /u01/app/oracle/product/11ovm/db_1/network/admin/listener.ora
    # Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

    LISTENER =
    (DESCRIPTION_LIST =
    (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = SRVJDEDBS)(PORT = 1521))
    )
    )

    ADR_BASE_LISTENER = /u01/app/oracle



    sqlnet.ora
    # tnsnames.ora Network Configuration File: /u01/app/oracle/product/11ovm/db_1/network/admin/tnsnames.ora
    # Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

    JDEVM =
    (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = SRVJDEDBS)(PORT = 1521))
    (CONNECT_DATA =
    (SERVER = DEDICATED)
    (SERVICE_NAME = jdevm)
    )
    )




    lsnrctl status
    [oracle@SRVJDEDBS admin]$ lsnrctl status

    LSNRCTL for Linux: Version 11.2.0.1.0 - Production on 30-DEC-2012 13:35:13

    Copyright (c) 1991, 2009, Oracle. All rights reserved.

    Connecting to (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=SRVJDEDBS)(PORT=1521)))
    STATUS of the LISTENER
    ------------------------
    Alias LISTENER
    Version TNSLSNR for Linux: Version 11.2.0.1.0 - Production
    Start Date 21-DEC-2012 17:24:22
    Uptime 8 days 20 hr. 10 min. 51 sec
    Trace Level off
    Security ON: Local OS Authentication
    SNMP OFF
    Listener Parameter File /u01/app/oracle/product/11ovm/db_1/network/admin/listener.ora
    Listener Log File /u01/app/oracle/diag/tnslsnr/SRVJDEDBS/listener/alert/log.xml
    Listening Endpoints Summary...
    (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=SRVJDEDBS)(PORT=1521)))
    Services Summary...
    Service "jdevm" has 1 instance(s).
    Instance "jdevm", status READY, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
    Service "jdevmXDB" has 1 instance(s).
    Instance "jdevm", status READY, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
    The command completed successfully
    [oracle@SRVJDEDBS admin]$



    lsnrctl service
    [oracle@SRVJDEDBS admin]$ lsnrctl service

    LSNRCTL for Linux: Version 11.2.0.1.0 - Production on 30-DEC-2012 13:36:32

    Copyright (c) 1991, 2009, Oracle. All rights reserved.

    Connecting to (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=SRVJDEDBS)(PORT=1521)))
    Services Summary...
    Service "jdevm" has 1 instance(s).
    Instance "jdevm", status READY, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
    Handler(s):
    "DEDICATED" established:25654 refused:0 state:ready
    LOCAL SERVER
    Service "jdevmXDB" has 1 instance(s).
    Instance "jdevm", status READY, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
    Handler(s):
    "D000" established:0 refused:0 current:0 max:1022 state:ready
    DISPATCHER <machine: SRVJDEDBS, pid: 2294>
    (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=SRVJDEDBS)(PORT=58456))
    The command completed successfully
    [oracle@SRVJDEDBS admin]$




    sqlplus scott/tiger
    [oracle@SRVJDEDBS admin]$ sqlplus scott/tiger

    SQL*Plus: Release 11.2.0.1.0 Production on Sun Dec 30 13:38:51 2012

    Copyright (c) 1982, 2009, Oracle. All rights reserved.

    ERROR:
    ORA-28000: the account is locked


    Enter user-name:




    EdStevens yes sqlpus exited without either confirming a connection or giving an error message.
    It brings me back to OS prompt.

    But if i try to connect like this from the client ( SRVJDEENT : 192.168.0.192)
    [oracle@SRVJDEENT admin]$ echo $ORACLE_SID
    jdevm
    [oracle@SRVJDEENT admin]$ sqlplus

    SQL*Plus: Release 11.2.0.1.0 Production on Sun Dec 30 13:50:26 2012

    Copyright (c) 1982, 2009, Oracle. All rights reserved.

    Enter user-name: system
    Enter password:
    ERROR:
    ORA-12545: Connect failed because target host or object does not exist


    Enter user-name:

    It brings error message ora-12545
  • 12. Re: Oracle error ora-12545
    EdStevens Guru
    Currently Being Moderated
    Joseph wrote:
    sb92075

    Yes target host is a virtual machine

    System1
    hostname: SRVEJDEENT
    IP#:192.168.0.192
    OS name version:Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server Release 5.4 (Tikanga)
    Oracle Client Version:
    DataBase Client
    tnsnames.ora:
    # tnsnames.ora Network Configuration File: /u01/app/oracle/product/11ovm/client_1/network/admin/tnsnames.ora
    # Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

    JDEVM =
    (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = SRVJDEDBS)(PORT = 1521))
    (CONNECT_DATA =
    (SERVER = DEDICATED)
    (SERVICE_NAME = jdevm)
    )
    )


    sqlnet.ora
    # sqlnet.ora Network Configuration File: /u01/app/oracle/product/11ovm/client_1/network/admin/sqlnet.ora
    # Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

    NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (TNSNAMES)

    ADR_BASE = /u01/app/oracle


    tnsping jdevm
    [oracle@SRVJDEENT admin]$ tnsping jdevm

    TNS Ping Utility for Linux: Version 11.2.0.1.0 - Production on 30-DEC-2012 13:25:49

    Copyright (c) 1997, 2009, Oracle. All rights reserved.

    Used parameter files:
    /u01/app/oracle/product/11ovm/client_1/network/admin/sqlnet.ora


    Used TNSNAMES adapter to resolve the alias
    Attempting to contact (DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = SRVJDEDBS)(PORT = 1521)) (CONNECT_DATA = (SERVER = DEDICATED) (SERVICE_NAME = jdevm)))
    OK (0 msec)
    [oracle@SRVJDEENT admin]$


    ping SRVJDEDBS
    [oracle@SRVJDEENT admin]$ ping SRVJDEDBS
    PING SRVJDEDBS (192.168.0.191) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from SRVJDEDBS (192.168.0.191): icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.315 ms
    64 bytes from SRVJDEDBS (192.168.0.191): icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.321 ms
    64 bytes from SRVJDEDBS (192.168.0.191): icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=0.293 ms
    64 bytes from SRVJDEDBS (192.168.0.191): icmp_seq=4 ttl=64 time=0.349 ms
    64 bytes from SRVJDEDBS (192.168.0.191): icmp_seq=5 ttl=64 time=0.336 ms
    64 bytes from SRVJDEDBS (192.168.0.191): icmp_seq=6 ttl=64 time=0.277 ms
    64 bytes from SRVJDEDBS (192.168.0.191): icmp_seq=7 ttl=64 time=0.313 ms
    64 bytes from SRVJDEDBS (192.168.0.191): icmp_seq=8 ttl=64 time=0.334 ms
    64 bytes from SRVJDEDBS (192.168.0.191): icmp_seq=9 ttl=64 time=0.325 ms
    64 bytes from SRVJDEDBS (192.168.0.191): icmp_seq=10 ttl=64 time=0.332 ms
    64 bytes from SRVJDEDBS (192.168.0.191): icmp_seq=11 ttl=64 time=0.327 ms

    --- SRVJDEDBS ping statistics ---
    11 packets transmitted, 11 received, 0% packet loss, time 9999ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.277/0.320/0.349/0.022 ms
    [oracle@SRVJDEENT admin]$
    [oracle@SRVJDEENT admin]$



    sqlplus scott/tiger@jdevm
    [oracle@SRVJDEENT admin]$ sqlplus scott/tiger@jdevm

    SQL*Plus: Release 11.2.0.1.0 Production on Sun Dec 30 13:29:24 2012

    Copyright (c) 1982, 2009, Oracle. All rights reserved.

    [oracle@SRVJDEENT admin]$
    Again, you appear to have cut some critical info .. right after the copyright notice we should have some more messages from sqlplus.
    >
    System2
    hostname:SRVJDEDBS
    So this is the system on which the db resides, the one your previous tnsnames was pointing to, the one you successfully pinged and tnspinged, and the one from which we have an unknown (unknown because you cut the response from your post) response to sqlplus.
    IP#:192.168.0.191
    OS name version:
    [oracle@SRVJDEDBS admin]$ hostname
    SRVJDEDBS

    Oracle DB Server Version:

    [oracle@SRVJDEDBS admin]$ sqlplus system

    SQL*Plus: Release 11.2.0.1.0 Production on Sun Dec 30 13:44:22 2012

    Copyright (c) 1982, 2009, Oracle. All rights reserved.

    Enter password:

    Connected to:
    Oracle Database 11g Release 11.2.0.1.0 - 64bit Production

    SQL>



    DataBase Server
    listener.ora
    # listener.ora Network Configuration File: /u01/app/oracle/product/11ovm/db_1/network/admin/listener.ora
    # Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

    LISTENER =
    (DESCRIPTION_LIST =
    (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = SRVJDEDBS)(PORT = 1521))
    )
    )

    ADR_BASE_LISTENER = /u01/app/oracle



    sqlnet.ora
    # tnsnames.ora Network Configuration File: /u01/app/oracle/product/11ovm/db_1/network/admin/tnsnames.ora
    # Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

    JDEVM =
    (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = SRVJDEDBS)(PORT = 1521))
    (CONNECT_DATA =
    (SERVER = DEDICATED)
    (SERVICE_NAME = jdevm)
    )
    )




    lsnrctl status
    [oracle@SRVJDEDBS admin]$ lsnrctl status

    LSNRCTL for Linux: Version 11.2.0.1.0 - Production on 30-DEC-2012 13:35:13

    Copyright (c) 1991, 2009, Oracle. All rights reserved.

    Connecting to (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=SRVJDEDBS)(PORT=1521)))
    STATUS of the LISTENER
    ------------------------
    Alias LISTENER
    Version TNSLSNR for Linux: Version 11.2.0.1.0 - Production
    Start Date 21-DEC-2012 17:24:22
    Uptime 8 days 20 hr. 10 min. 51 sec
    Trace Level off
    Security ON: Local OS Authentication
    SNMP OFF
    Listener Parameter File /u01/app/oracle/product/11ovm/db_1/network/admin/listener.ora
    Listener Log File /u01/app/oracle/diag/tnslsnr/SRVJDEDBS/listener/alert/log.xml
    Listening Endpoints Summary...
    (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=SRVJDEDBS)(PORT=1521)))
    Services Summary...
    Service "jdevm" has 1 instance(s).
    Instance "jdevm", status READY, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
    Service "jdevmXDB" has 1 instance(s).
    Instance "jdevm", status READY, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
    The command completed successfully
    [oracle@SRVJDEDBS admin]$



    lsnrctl service
    [oracle@SRVJDEDBS admin]$ lsnrctl service

    LSNRCTL for Linux: Version 11.2.0.1.0 - Production on 30-DEC-2012 13:36:32

    Copyright (c) 1991, 2009, Oracle. All rights reserved.

    Connecting to (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=SRVJDEDBS)(PORT=1521)))
    Services Summary...
    Service "jdevm" has 1 instance(s).
    Instance "jdevm", status READY, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
    Handler(s):
    "DEDICATED" established:25654 refused:0 state:ready
    LOCAL SERVER
    Service "jdevmXDB" has 1 instance(s).
    Instance "jdevm", status READY, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
    Handler(s):
    "D000" established:0 refused:0 current:0 max:1022 state:ready
    DISPATCHER <machine: SRVJDEDBS, pid: 2294>
    (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=SRVJDEDBS)(PORT=58456))
    The command completed successfully
    [oracle@SRVJDEDBS admin]$




    sqlplus scott/tiger
    [oracle@SRVJDEDBS admin]$ sqlplus scott/tiger

    SQL*Plus: Release 11.2.0.1.0 Production on Sun Dec 30 13:38:51 2012

    Copyright (c) 1982, 2009, Oracle. All rights reserved.

    ERROR:
    ORA-28000: the account is locked


    Enter user-name:




    EdStevens yes sqlpus exited without either confirming a connection or giving an error message.
    It brings me back to OS prompt.

    But if i try to connect like this from the client ( SRVJDEENT : 192.168.0.192)
    [oracle@SRVJDEENT admin]$ echo $ORACLE_SID
    jdevm
    [oracle@SRVJDEENT admin]$ sqlplus
    Use "[oracle@SRVJDEENT admin]$ sqlplus jdevm"

    Remember, this is the client machine. It has to route the request to the database machine. It gets its routing information from the referenced entry in tnsnames. You gave it that information on your tnsping, which is why tnsping gave a good return. But you left that off when you actually tried to use sqlplus.


    >
    SQL*Plus: Release 11.2.0.1.0 Production on Sun Dec 30 13:50:26 2012

    Copyright (c) 1982, 2009, Oracle. All rights reserved.

    Enter user-name: system
    Enter password:
    ERROR:
    ORA-12545: Connect failed because target host or object does not exist


    Enter user-name:

    It brings error message ora-12545
  • 13. Re: Oracle error ora-12545
    joseph619 Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated
    No i do not cut info

    this is actually how the system react

    exactly like i said at the beginning
    when i connect using sqlplus user/pass@connectstring it act like it get in and out back to os prompt

    Once again I do not cut info from sqlplus, I copied and paste.



    -------

    you ask me to connect using 'sqlplus jdevm'

    [oracle@SRVJDEENT admin]$ sqlplus jdevm

    SQL*Plus: Release 11.2.0.1.0 Production on Mon Dec 31 10:46:16 2012

    Copyright (c) 1982, 2009, Oracle. All rights reserved.

    Enter password:
    ERROR:
    ORA-12545: Connect failed because target host or object does not exist


    Enter user-name:
  • 14. Re: Oracle error ora-12545
    EdStevens Guru
    Currently Being Moderated
    Joseph wrote:
    No i do not cut info

    this is actually how the system react

    exactly like i said at the beginning
    when i connect using sqlplus user/pass@connectstring it act like it get in and out back to os prompt

    Once again I do not cut info from sqlplus, I copied and paste.



    -------

    you ask me to connect using 'sqlplus jdevm'

    [oracle@SRVJDEENT admin]$ sqlplus jdevm

    SQL*Plus: Release 11.2.0.1.0 Production on Mon Dec 31 10:46:16 2012

    Copyright (c) 1982, 2009, Oracle. All rights reserved.

    Enter password:
    ERROR:
    ORA-12545: Connect failed because target host or object does not exist


    Enter user-name:
    This just doesn't add up. Ok, from one single session:
    tnsping jdevm
    sqlplus <username>/<pswd>@jdevm
    And make sure your password does NOT have a '@' in it.

    copy and paste entire session
1 2 3 Previous Next

Legend

  • Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points