This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 28, 2012 1:16 PM by will213 RSS

Navigating Back to Calling Page

will213 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello,

I'm using APEX 4.1.1 and here is my dilemma: I have 2 pages A and B that both navigate to page C. In page C, when "Apply Changes" button is clicked I need to navigate back to either A or B depending on which page made the call to C. For pages A and B, I have set the "Request" value in the "Link Column" section to uniquely identify which page is making the call. Then, in page C I have created 2 branches (one to A and one to B) with condition "Request = Expression 1" where expression 1 is the value I assigned in A and B. When page C loads, I can see the value I assigned in the URL, but when I click "Apply Changes" the page submits and remains on page C.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Will
  • 1. Re: Navigating Back to Calling Page
    VC Guru
    user9130472 wrote:
    Hello,

I'm using APEX 4.1.1 and here is my dilemma: I have 2 pages A and B that both navigate to page C. In page C, when "Apply Changes" button is clicked I need to navigate back to either A or B depending on which page made the call to C. For pages A and B, I have set the "Request" value in the "Link Column" section to uniquely identify which page is making the call. Then, in page C I have created 2 branches (one to A and one to B) with condition "Request = Expression 1" where expression 1 is the value I assigned in A and B. When page C loads, I can see the value I assigned in the URL, but when I click "Apply Changes" the page submits and remains on page C.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Will
    Create a hidden item on page c lets say PX_FROM_PAGE.

Create an unconditional branch/edit one existing on page c and set the target page to *&PX_FROM_PAGE.*

Now when you call page c from page a/b include the parameter PX_FROM_PAGE with relevant page number. Example when calling page c from page a include the PX_FROM_PAGE to the call with page no of a

Thanks,
    Vikram
  • 2. Re: Navigating Back to Calling Page
    will213 Newbie
    Thanks for the response Vikram.

I was able to create the hidden item PX_FROM_PAGE on page C and set it equal to the page number of the calling pages A/B; I even verified this by changing the item to "Display Only" so I could see that the value was indeed being set correctly. But when I changed my branch to be unconditional and set the target page to be @PX_FROM_PAGE and I click "Apply Changes" I'm getting a 400 error because the literal string "@PX_FROM_PAGE" is being populated in the URL and not the actual page number value (f?p=105:*&PX_FROM_PAGE*:717601583948201::NO:::).

Any ideas what I could be missing?

Thanks,

Will
  • 3. Re: Navigating Back to Calling Page
    fac586 Guru
    user9130472 wrote:

I was able to create the hidden item PX_FROM_PAGE on page C and set it equal to the page number of the calling pages A/B; I even verified this by changing the item to "Display Only" so I could see that the value was indeed being set correctly. But when I changed my branch to be unconditional and set the target page to be @PX_FROM_PAGE and I click "Apply Changes" I'm getting a 400 error because the literal string "@PX_FROM_PAGE" is being populated in the URL and not the actual page number value (f?p=105:*&PX_FROM_PAGE*:717601583948201::NO:::).
    What is *@PX_FROM_PAGE* ? This has no meaning in APEX. Are you perhaps thinking about Ruby or—heresy—SQL Server?
    Any ideas what I could be missing?
    One very small character. The static text exact substitution method of referencing the value of an APEX item requires a terminating dot ("."):
    &PX_FROM_PAGE.
    (Please update your forum profile with a real handle instead of "user9130472".)
  • 4. Re: Navigating Back to Calling Page
    will213 Newbie
    What is *@PX_FROM_PAGE*? This has no meaning in APEX. Are you perhaps thinking about Ruby or—heresy—SQL Server?
    My bad; that should have been a "&" not "@".
    One very small character. The static text exact substitution method of referencing the value of an APEX item requires a terminating dot ("."):
    &PX_FROM_PAGE.
    That was it! Thanks so much!!!

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points