This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply: Jan 6, 2013 10:35 AM by EdStevens RSS

download free version of oracle

809036 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
how can i donwload a free version of Oracle database as i want to practice sql at home
where can i donwload and how to use it?
  • 1. Re: download free version of oracle
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director
    What is your OS ? Assuming you have a certified OS, there are several options available -

1. The full database software can be downloaded from http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/downloads/index.html. The Installation Guides can be found at http://www.oracle.com/pls/db112/portal.portal_db?selected=11&frame=

2. You can also download and install Express Edition from http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/products/express-edition/downloads/index.html. Install Guide is at http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E17781_01/index.htm

3. If you are interested in installing a pre-built VM in VirtualBox (especially useful if you do not have a supported OS, like Win Home), see http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/community/developer-vm/index.html . I have also documented detailed steps in my blog (linked in my profile) on how to install Virtualbox, create a Linux VM, install Linux in the VM, then install 11gR2 in the Linux VM

HTH
    Srini
  • 2. Re: download free version of oracle
    809036 Newbie
    i have downloaded the second one , use the express version. but after installing oracle, i don't know how to connect and open database
    would you teach me? i see one of the software is "run the sql command line", how can i use?
  • 3. Re: download free version of oracle
    sb92075 Guru
    806033 wrote:
    how can i donwload a free version of Oracle database as i want to practice sql at home
    where can i donwload and how to use it?
    http://www.mysql.com/

MYSQL is easier & more forgiving than Oracle & can be used to learn SQL
  • 4. Re: download free version of oracle
    809036 Newbie
    can i try sql developer? if yes, where can i donwload it and now i don't know how to connect to oracle database as i already donwloaded express version of oralce.
    what is the config info of this oracle database?
  • 5. Re: download free version of oracle
    sb92075 Guru
    806033 wrote:
    can i try sql developer? if yes, where can i donwload it and now i don't know how to connect to oracle database as i already donwloaded express version of oralce.
    if you are in capable of using GOOGLE, I doubt you can learn to use Oracle

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/sql-developer/downloads/index.html
  • 6. Re: download free version of oracle
    As requested, pl post your exact OS details. Did you follow the instructions in the XE Install Guide ?

HTH
    Srini
  • 7. Re: download free version of oracle
    EdStevens Guru
    806033 wrote:
    SQL Developer is just a front-end tool. You'll still have to have a database and know how to connect to it.

Who knows? It's your database.

you indicated that you don't know how to connect to the database. What have you used? What have you tried? Most important -- what documentation have you referenced?

Here's a hint:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/appdev.112/e10766/tdddg_connecting.htm#CEGGIIEJ

Please do more than just read the link. Take note of where it is.

Learning how to look things up in the documentation is time well spent investing in your career. To that end, you should drop everything else you are doing and do the following:

Go to tahiti.oracle.com.

Drill down to your product and version.

<b><i><u>BOOKMARK THAT LOCATION</u></i></b>

Spend a few minutes just getting familiar with what is available here. Take special note of the "books" and "search" tabs. Under the "books" tab you will find the complete documentation library.

Spend a few minutes just getting familiar with what <b><i><u>kind</u></i></b> of documentation is available there by simply browsing the titles under the "Books" tab.

Open the Reference Manual and spend a few minutes looking through the table of contents to get familiar with what <b><i><u>kind</u></i></b> of information is available there.

Do the same with the SQL Reference Manual.

Do the same with the Utilities manual.

You don't have to read the above in depth. They are <b><i><u>reference</b></i></u> manuals. Just get familiar with <b><i><u>what</b></i></u> is there to <b><i><u>be</b></i></u> referenced. Ninety percent of the questions asked on this forum can be answered in less than 5 minutes by simply searching one of the above manuals.

Then set yourself a plan to dig deeper.
    - Read a chapter a day from the Concepts Manual.
    - Take a look in your alert log. One of the first things listed at startup is the initialization parms with non-default values. Read up on each one of them (listed in your alert log) in the Reference Manual.
    - Take a look at your listener.ora, tnsnames.ora, and sqlnet.ora files. Go to the Network Administrators manual and read up on everything you see in those files.
    - When you have finished reading the Concepts Manual, do it again.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifeti
  • 8. Re: download free version of oracle
    809036 Newbie
    I am using window 7
  • 9. Re: download free version of oracle
    EdStevens Guru
    806033 wrote:
    I am using window 7
    WHat edition? No oracle product is certified for any "home" edition of any version of Windows.
  • 10. Re: download free version of oracle
    809036 Newbie
    i don't the ip of the oracle that i have donwloaded before. i just know the login id and password, so other config info to connect to oracle database using sql developer is what?

Edited by: 806033 on 2013年1月5日 上午8:41
  • 11. Re: download free version of oracle
    EdStevens Guru
    806033 wrote:
    i don't the ip of the oracle that i have donwloaded before.
    "Oracle" doesn't have an IP address. The computer on which it is running has an IP address.
    i just know the login id and password, so other config info to connect to oracle database using sql developer is what?
    What other information is it asking for? By defeault, the port will be 1521.

As you are looking at the "New Database connection" dialog in SQL Dev, change the connection type from 'basic' to 'tns'. The requested fields will change accordingly. Open the "network alias' select list and you should see a list of entries from your tnsnames.ora file. Probably only one entry. Not even that if you haven't yet configured it.
    >
    Edited by: 806033 on 2013年1月5日 上午8:41
  • 12. Re: download free version of oracle
    809036 Newbie
    why after i connect to oracle's database , there is many table in the database by default?

example:

SELECT
    CONFLICT_TYPE_ID,
    METHOD_NAME
    FROM
    REPCAT$_RESOLUTION_METHOD ;
  • 13. Re: download free version of oracle
    When you install Oracle, it comes pre-seeded with many accounts/users and objects, some of which are necessary for the database to work, and others are needed for various database options to work.

HTH
    Srini
  • 14. Re: download free version of oracle
    sb92075 Guru
    806033 wrote:
    why after i connect to oracle's database , there is many table in the database by default?

example:

SELECT
    CONFLICT_TYPE_ID,
    METHOD_NAME
    FROM
    REPCAT$_RESOLUTION_METHOD ;
    because the tables have been previously created.

why are you logging into DB as "SYSTEM"?
    SQL> select count(*) from user_tables;

COUNT(*)
    ----------

SQL> show user
    USER is "SYSTEM"
    SQL> select count(*) from REPCAT$_RESOLUTION_METHOD ; 

COUNT(*)
    ----------
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points