This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply: Dec 29, 2012 7:27 AM by 846231 Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: Database Reorg Expert?
    846231 Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated
    Hi Ed,

Sorry Im not making myself clear. Maybe what I want is, I want to find the tables that has lots of rows deleted and I want to compress it back to a smaller size because I know it wont grow big again. For example a table that has 10million rows originally and 9million has beed deleted out of it. I want to find these tables that have this kind of characteristics. And maybe this is what is being mentioned above as "can be done" using a pl/sql program. :)

Thanks
  • 16. Re: Database Reorg Expert?
    Girish Sharma Guru
    Did you checked PL/SQL code which is provided by Jaffar Hussain at below link : (in my previous post)

Re: How to reorg a database

Regards
    Girish Sharma
  • 17. Re: Database Reorg Expert?
    EdStevens Guru
    KinsaKaUy? wrote:
    Hi Ed,

Sorry Im not making myself clear. Maybe what I want is, I want to find the tables that has lots of rows deleted and I want to compress it back to a smaller size because I know it wont grow big again. For example a table that has 10million rows originally and 9million has beed deleted out of it. I want to find these tables that have this kind of characteristics. And maybe this is what is being mentioned above as "can be done" using a pl/sql program. :)

Thanks
    Ok, you have a database. You or someone you work with makes an informed decision that table_x doesn't need all 10 million rows, and so deletes 9 million of them. That is a conscious decision relating specifically to table_x. Then you or someone you work with determines that that table_x will never grow back to 10 million rows. That is another conscious decision relating specifically to table_x. And now you want oracle to tell you that table_x is a candidate for reorg? You already know it's a candidate. Your own analysis led to the decision to delete all those rows because they weren't needed. Your own analysis led to the decision that the table would never grow back to anything near its original size. So why wold you NOT already know that table_x is your candidate? The only reason you'd need an analysis from Oracle would be if these massive deletes were occurring in the natural course of business processes and you had no foreknowledge of which tables were involved.

BTW, OEM already has a segment analysis tool and will create a job to implement whatever recommendations it makes.
  • 18. Re: Database Reorg Expert?
    846231 Newbie
    I thank you all :)
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points